Bermuda Cruise Experience Different?

ToddlerMom

We're considering a cruise during DD's spring break next year (Easter Week - April 21st). It seems a bit late in the season for the Caribbean because there aren't many options. We already did the Mexican Riviera. But I see the there is a Bermuda sailing that fits our schedule.

Is a Bermuda cruise different from other cruises because it docks in the same place for several nights? We've done 3 cruises (Western Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, and Alaska). I like the cruising experience more than the itinerary. I like being on a ship out in the middle of the ocean where we are completely disconnected from work and our life back home. I like falling asleep to the sound to the waves. Would we miss that on a Bermuda cruise?

Yes, it is a bi different. As you stated, you're in one port for a few days. No rushing to see/do as much as you can in one day and be back on the ship by 5PM. You have the opportunity to partake in some on shore night life. Depending where you are coming from, for us anyway, it's a little over an hr ride to the ship, no flying, no airports, much less stress and more relaxing .In my opinion, there's more to see and do in Bermuda than some of the Caribbean islands, so 3 -4 days there is not too long. We're leaving tomorrow on the Summit and this will be our 20-something cruise to Bermuda. We go every couple of years. It's one of our favorite destinations and being there for 3-4 days makes it a bit of unique experience compared to multiple port, one day at each cruise.

I second what Marco said. We've been cruising to Bermuda for over 30 years, sometimes more than once a year, and never grow tired of it.

One word of caution. If you're looking for a beach destination, Bermuda is not in the tropics and the water will be too cold in April. It may be warm enough to sit on the beach (average high temperature in the 70's), but you won't be able to go in the water.

We're considering a cruise during DD's spring break next year (Easter Week - April 21st). It seems a bit late in the season for the Caribbean because there aren't many options. We already did the Mexican Riviera. But I see the there is a Bermuda sailing that fits our schedule.

Is a Bermuda cruise different from other cruises because it docks in the same place for several nights? We've done 3 cruises (Western Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, and Alaska). I like the cruising experience more than the itinerary. I like being on a ship out in the middle of the ocean where we are completely disconnected from work and our life back home. I like falling asleep to the sound to the waves. Would we miss that on a Bermuda cruise?

Marco gave good reasons to cruises to Bermuda, which I do often for the same reason but I think a few other things should be mentioned. I don't know if it matters to you but don't expect beach weather at the end of April. That is the first week of the Bermuda cruise season. The air temperature will probably be pleasant not every hot, low 70's, the water temp is chilly then. The beach season is not considered by Bermudians to begin until the end of May. End of April is a good time to tour or play golf. Take a jacket and sweater if you do book.

Leaving from New York or Boston at the end of April don't expect to be lounging on the pool deck for long times on sea days. You are cruising in the Atlantic Ocean, not the Caribbean sea. The air temp and breeze can make it brisk on outside desks. Since I like being outside on sea days and on deck or on a balcony I don't book Bermuda until June. After June also because I like the Bermuda beaches and prefer warmer water than even the May water temp..

Edited by Charles4515

We were in Bermuda last week. Temps were 72-75 and the water was around 68. I know for some this is pretty chilly, but if you’re from pretty far north and coming out of a cold and snowy winter, it’s nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in Bermuda last week. Temps were 72-75 and the water was around 68. I know for some this is pretty chilly, but if you’re from pretty far north and coming out of a cold and snowy winter, it’s nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Water temperature below 70 degrees is considered dangerous.

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/WhatIsCold.html

We just got home from our Bermuda cruise today. It is absolutely beautiful, and a very relaxing place! The weather in Bermuda was gorgeous, but since we sailed from NY, sea days were VERY windy. I’m like you in terms of liking the experience of cruising more so than the itinerary. However, I liked being docked in Bermuda for 3 days for a couple of reasons: 1. I did not feel rushed to see what we wanted to see; and 2. Many people went off the ship every day while we were docked which meant there was plenty of chairs available for relaxation. We loved it so much we might do the same exact cruise next year.

Edited by Trela1234
spelling

I always tell people if they don't know if they'd like cruising or not to cruise to Bermuda you get 3 days there you can get off the ship whenever you want and you get a taste of cruising I love Bermuda . Leaving next Saturday for our 5th cruise there!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all. If your sailing NCL definitely get the Thermal Spa weekly pass! Its well worth the extra money. And the pool and sauna, heated loungers etc... in there are so warm especially since your weather outside will most likely be chilly and windy. You will love it. ( but it is adults only FYI)

Leaving in less than two weeks to Bermuda on the Escape and of course got the Thermal Spa pass for the week. Third time there and it is beautiful! For me it's the first time my husband and I will be sailing a mega ship. So it's gonna be a new experience for me too. Happy planning for your cruise!

Would you expect similar cool-ish weather in the middle of October?

We've done Bermuda twice in October and the weather was plenty warm (low 80's) and the water temps were fine. I don't know the exact temps, but can tell you as someone from New England the water was warmer than any you will find mid-summer in NH. ;) We sailed out of Boston and NYC respectively and on departure day out of Boston it was shorts/swimsuit weather (yes, in mid-October, go figure!) and out of NYC it was jeans and a light sweater weather the other year.

For the sea days the weather was plenty warm enough for water activities and lying by the pool. By the end of the last full day it is getting cooler and our last night was jeans and sweaters up on deck.

Just got back from Bermuda. The weather was beautiful went swimming all three days . we've been three times in May and twice in the middle of October had great weather all the time