cab to a beach in Maui

Cruisfan

There will be cabs at the port. Ship in port= fares=money. You can also use Uber.

As commonly mentioned here, the Kihei area is the closest good beach- about 25 or so minutes away. South (further away from the ship)of Kihei is Wailea- nicer beaches.

Sort of an expensive cab ride. That is why car rental is commonly recommended. The north side beaches, near where the ship docks, will be wind blown and pretty rough.

That's too bad. We were hoping to spend some time on the beach. The NCL tour is $ 92. but now I understand why if it's that long a cab ride. Thanks for the answer.

I drive my car here on Maui but here's a link to a taxi service to get an estimated cab fare.

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

If taking a cab, I'd recommend South Maui beaches from Wailea to Makena over Kihei beaches. One of my favorite beaches is Ulua & Mokapu which are on either side of a lava point in Wailea with good snorkeling & beaches. There are indoor lavatories & outdoor showers with a paved parking lot.

It's an easy 30 minute drive if you rent a car & if the parking lot is full there are additional parking & facilities further south in Wailea at Polo & Wailea beaches. Further south are a string of undeveloped beaches with porta-potties from Wailea to Makena. Maluaka Beach has a paved parking lot & facilities and on the south end is one of several areas snorkeling boat trips call "Turtle Town". Every time I go there we've seen several turtles by snorkeling from shore & it's "free"! ;)

That's too bad. We were hoping to spend some time on the beach. The NCL tour is $ 92. but now I understand why if it's that long a cab ride. Thanks for the answer.

Cabs are not cheap. I looked at doing whale watching in Lahaina (45 minutes away) and the cost of a return cab was $160. A car rental is $42 + gas for a 9am pickup and return by 5 pm.

Thank you both for your replies. Perhaps we can find someone to share a cab with us.

Cruisfan

Possibly you can find someone on your roll call to share the cab. This is not an unusual question. Or, possibly there is someone renting a car that is willing to share it with you if you help with the cost. Hope it works out. Cherie

• 3 weeks later...

We had rented a car in Maui but later on met 4 ladies on the cruise ship. They didn't have any plans for Maui so once on port they met a lady cab driver who drove them around for $17 per person. She took them to a beach where they saw 17 sea turtles and the beach is tucked away from popular tourists so was practically empty. It probably helped that both the tourist ladies and cab driver were Vietnamese Chinese and got along well at first sight. All they knew was that the beach is next to a famous fish restaurant.