General gas prices on the Islands?

pattyj 1204

I was wondering about how much money we'll need for gas fill ups when we rent the cars on the Islands, not Oahu (we are going on organized tours there) I'm going to go to the bank and wanted an estimate of the cost of a gallon of gas. It is fairly inexpensive here, but I understand it will be more expensive in Hawaii due to having everything shipped in. Thanks for the help.

We live in Southern California where gas prices are high so Hawaii seems a bit less to us but usually not more. We have not found Costco in Kona to be less expensive than some other options. Hilo has good prices at the Safeway, but, of course, with Safeway you also need to enter a member number. And on Maui I found a couple stations on South Kihei Road that were the same or less than Costco. Lines can also be extremely long at Costco so it is not worth it to me. If you are filling up on one of the main roads heading to or from the airport you will probably incur the highest prices. If you plan on $3 per gallon you may come home with money in your pocket. Have fun, Cherie

Costco does not always have the lowest price on the Big Island of Hawaii. Many times when we drive over to Costco from Hilo, we find that the price was lower in Hilo. But, it does vary from week to week and month to month. Strange that Hilo often has some of the lowest gas prices around, but we are not complaining ;);)

Thank you to everyone that answered for me. That cost seems much less than I was thinking it would be. We aren't Costco members--Sams club for us. LOL Oh well, we are on vacation and it will cost what it costs. I just wanted to know for the ballpark number. Thanks again. We are leaving on Tues, so it will be nice to be somewhere warm and beautiful.