Water temp?

Sunflower & The Scientist

Can anyone tell me what to expect water temp wise in October? We want to do a lot of snorkeling on the beach, which I assume would be warmer than going further out to snorkel.

I hate cold water, am one to go in swimming pools slowly because I don't like cold water! I see that some places rent wetsuits which concerns me that the water must be cold enough to use them. I can't wear a wetsuit due to being allergic to what they are made out of.

THANKS for any help anyone can give me.

A Google search (try "Sea temperature Honolulu October"- the answer is 76 degrees) will get you the hard core numbers, but the numbers are typically in the 75-78 degree range, year around. Perhaps on the higher end in the summer.

We snorkeled and swam in the ocean at least 10 months of the year (oddly not July/August) and the ocean have never been cold, and never worn a wet suit. Of course, it depends on what you define "cold" as.

Was thinking back to a trip we did to Lanai in February a couple of years ago. We went snorkeling, and the water temp was 83- the same as the air temp. Even some of the locals were surprised. Very weird for the water temp to be the same as the air temp, at least in our experience.

Again, all depends on what you define as "cold". mid to upper 70s is not hard to take, but your experience may be different.

A Google search (try "Sea temperature Honolulu October"- the answer is 76 degrees) will get you the hard core numbers, but the numbers are typically in the 75-78 degree range, year around. Perhaps on the higher end in the summer.

You must have read the chart wrong. NOAA says Honolulu is 81 in October.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all_meanT.html

OP - I'm with you re warm water. I hate being cold. One of my favorite months to visit Hawaii is October because the water is still a bit warmer from the summer months. There's always that deep breath you take when you dive in but then it's great and you don't want to get out. To some 5 degrees is not a big deal but to me it is. When friends go for the first time I always tell them not to expect the same water that you would in the Caribbean. There are some really great rash guards that will protect you from sunburn when snorkeling and also add a bit of warmth if you are not allergic to the fabric. Have a great time. Cherie

Thanks for your encouragement cccole! Along with temps, we've been talking about sun protection, someone warned us that we need to take that seriously. I'm currently looking into rash guards. My husband is allergic to sunscreen and I'm going to buy something for summer and have him give it a try before we go. I was hoping perhaps it would be a good solution for the whole time in Hawaii because most of the things we will be doing will be beach or water activities.

OP - I'm with you re warm water. I hate being cold. One of my favorite months to visit Hawaii is October because the water is still a bit warmer from the summer months. There's always that deep breath you take when you dive in but then it's great and you don't want to get out. To some 5 degrees is not a big deal but to me it is. When friends go for the first time I always tell them not to expect the same water that you would in the Caribbean. There are some really great rash guards that will protect you from sunburn when snorkeling and also add a bit of warmth if you are not allergic to the fabric. Have a great time. Cherie

A rash guard will only add warmth if it is specifically a thermal rash guard; otherwise it sucks warmth off your body.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/mens-thermal-rash-guards-c9282/

At 81° in Waikiki in Oct you have water that is warmer than most competitive swimming pools, which are usually 78° to 80°.

Take a look at sun screens that are designed for babies. That is what I use when in tropical climates because they usually are 30-50+ protection and include a high percentage of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which my dermatologist says is the best. My adult children who surf and love other water activities also love these products now. Rash guards are fabulous for someone allergic to sun screen. To get an idea of rash guards you can also take a look at Lands End. You are going to have so much fun. Cherie

Great info! Yes, I've already gotten my Land's End catalogue and earmarked what I want to order! I think that they are becoming a lot more popular now so don't look so odd when you're wearing a long sleeved shirt in the water! Good thought on baby sunscreen. I'll give that a try.

A rash guard will only add warmth if it is specifically a thermal rash guard; otherwise it sucks warmth off your body.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/mens-thermal-rash-guards-c9282/

At 81° in Waikiki in Oct you have water that is warmer than most competitive swimming pools, which are usually 78° to 80°.

Interesting that swimoutlet indicates that a rash guard's basic purpose is not to keep you warm but the extra layer that a rash guard provides is an easy alternative when the weather is too warm for a full wetsuit. And, with its added coverage, a rash guard will keep your heat in and ocean scraps out (referring to particles in the water.) Another source indicates that a rash guard will protect you from the coolness that can be experienced when a cool breeze occurs and is better than a wet t-shirt. There is, of course, a difference between a rash guard and a swim shirt. This, of course is just my opinion. It sounds like the OP is doing her homework on sun protection and being comfortable in the water of Hawaii and will have a great time. Cherie

p.s. I just looked at my email from Billabong and they have some nice men's rash guards on sale for about 60% off. I usually purchase from local surf shops but Billabong.com is my first choice if the price is right because shipping is free. I din't see as much for women but if you can wear a men's size the price is really nice, and a solid color goes with anything. You will not be out-of-place wearing a rash guard in Hawaii. Just thought I would share this info. Cherie