I Thought Royal Caribbean was a Great Cruise Line

kasingk

Anyone cruising with Royal Caribbean should heed this advice: Take your own luggage with you on disembarkation.

Hello. I'm Ken. I have taken 16 cruises, 4 of which were with Royal Caribbean. My last cruise was with the Ovation of the Seas in April 2017.

My past experience with Royal Caribbean was mainly possitive, until this last cruise.

Briefly put, the ship lost one piece of my luggage upon disembarkation in Tianjin, China. A lost report was filled out at the pier.

Upon coming home, I tried to contact Royal Caribbean about my lost luggage. This is when I found out that there is no way I can make contact other than calling a 1-800 number. This number connects to their Guest Relations Dept, which is apparently located in Manilla. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with an office located in Manilla, except that this office is set up for the sole purpose of calming their concerned customers only. They cannot help in any other way, even though I told them that I have my CPAP machine in the luggage, a medical equipment that I rely on every night for health purposes.

For a span of 4 months and 12 phone calls to this office, the only answers to my lost luggage are:

(1) The luggage has been found back in May 2017.

(2) The luggage has been relocated to another Royal Caribbean office in Shanghai, China.

(3) They have no information on whether or when the luggage will be shipped back to me.

(4) They don't know why. And Guest Relations Dept cannot give me any other contact in Royal Caribbean.

In this period of 4 months since my luggage was lost, I have tried to contact the Royal Caribbean Luggage Support Dept and even the Royal Caribbean Corporate Office, by emails and letter mail. Royal Caribbean didn't even respond.

And Royal Caribbean Guest Relations cannot or will not give me any reason why they are not shipping back my lost luggage, even after 4 months since the luggage has been found.

So, the moral of my storey is: If you don't want to go through the major headache of losing your luggage with Royal Caribbean, take all your luggage yourself with you on disembarkation. Don't leave them out on the corridor outside your state room.

For me, 4 cruises with Royal Caribbean seem to be enough. Afterall, other cruise lines give me much better perks and customer service.

PS

Just in case this forum message catches the eye of Royal Caribbean, who may want to verify the authenticity of the storey, my "Reservation No." is 1155874.

I am sorry you lost a piece of luggage, and if that means you will never go on rcci again, then so be it. I hope no other line looses it either. I would love if they could have given a straight answer, but just like an airline employee at the lost luggage counter, there is not much they can do, and the chances of getting it back after a couple of days goes by is pretty slim.

If you had insurance, I would file a claim (if it is not too late). If you did not have insurance, and you want to leave critical items in your luggage, you may want to look into it in the future.

... They cannot help in any other way, even though I told them that I have my CPAP machine in the luggage, a medical equipment that I rely on every night for health purposes.

I'm curious...since they lost your luggage, you must have put it out in the hallway on the last night of the cruise...but your CPAP machine was in it, so you didn't use your CPAP machine on the last night, even though you rely on it every night? I'm confused.

I'm curious...since they lost your luggage, you must have put it out in the hallway on the last night of the cruise...but your CPAP machine was in it, so you didn't use your CPAP machine on the last night, even though you rely on it every night? I'm confused.

Was wondering the same thing???

Thank you all for your concerns. I'm a 72 year old senior. My wife has problem walking well with her feet. I used my CPAP machine every night on board the ship. For the last night, I thought I would pack it in my luggage because I reckoned the next morning I had to assist my wife in going down the gangway and it would be very cumbersome to carry my CPAP machine with me at the same time. That was why I decided to not using it for just one night.

I did not make an insurance claim yet because Royal Caribbean said that they have found my luggage. It is just that they have found it for 4 months and was just leaving it somewhere and not sending it back to me. And without telling me why. What can I do now?

Ken

Thank you all for your concerns. I'm a 72 year old senior. My wife has problem walking well with her feet. I used my CPAP machine every night on board the ship. For the last night, I thought I would pack it in my luggage because I reckoned the next morning I had to assist my wife in going down the gangway and it would be very cumbersome to carry my CPAP machine with me at the same time. That was why I decided to not using it for just one night.

I did not make an insurance claim yet because Royal Caribbean said that they have found my luggage. It is just that they have found it for 4 months and was just leaving it somewhere and not sending it back to me. And without telling me why. What can I do now?

Ken

That is too bad. If you can still file a claim, I would. I highly doubt it will ever be found, and has already probably been sold elsewhere.

I am very sorry that this happened to you. Taking your luggage from your room to the pick-up area should be a no-brainer. It is even more distressing to think that RCCL does not seem to care. I do not have any advice for you but I can understand why you would want to take your business elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm less concerned about the fact that your luggage was lost, because this can happen anywhere, than I am about the lack of response from Royal. Obviously we aren't privy to all of the details / conversations / etc. but taking your complaint at face value concerns me. I have always worried in the back of my mind that this might happen so I never put anything but clothes or other easily replaceable things in my checked baggage. If this happens to me it won't be fun but at worst I'm out some clothes and a few souvenirs or something.

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. After the airlines lost our luggage 3 times, this is just one more example of why my DH insists that we only have 2 carry-ons when we fly and disembark. The disembarking is so much easier and faster, especially because we are one of the first ones off before 7:30a.m. And yes, we have gone on 10 nights cruises with just carry-ons each! ...dress clothes and all!!!

Hi ravensbad,

I'm also thinking in the same line as you. Luggage can be lost anywhere. Nothing in it is irreplaceable. I will just count the loss as part of the cost in taking the Royal Caribbean cruise. It's just the Royal Caribbean attitude that prompted me to start this thread.

What you suggested is a good lesson for me and everyone else. Thank you for sharing your advice.

Ken

Ken

You do NOT owe anyone here an explanation of why you did not use your CPAP machine on the last night.

Try contacting Michael Bailey with a nice calm letter.

Bob can you please provide his email? Thanks!

That is too bad. If you can still file a claim, I would. I highly doubt it will ever be found, and has already probably been sold elsewhere.

Sold? Was that a typo/auto-correct?

~

OP, you should have had an answer by now but since you don't I think you should escalate this to Corporate. Nothing much will happen on this message board as it is not directly affiliated with Royal Caribbean. Write a clear, concise, polite e-mail with all the details you can remember. Here is the info:

Michael Bayley, President and CEO

mbayley@rccl.com

Have you tried contacting:

Executive Guest Advocate...(866) 440-7225

Best of luck...hoping insurance will cover the loss of your CPAP even though you have been told it was found you still haven't received it...Just a caution to always purchase a good 3rd party insurance policy...especially when traveling Internationally..hope you did.

Anyone cruising with Royal Caribbean should heed this advice: Take your own luggage with you on disembarkation.

Hello. I'm Ken. I have taken 16 cruises, 4 of which were with Royal Caribbean. My last cruise was with the Ovation of the Seas in April 2017.

My past experience with Royal Caribbean was mainly possitive, until this last cruise.

Briefly put, the ship lost one piece of my luggage upon disembarkation in Tianjin, China. A lost report was filled out at the pier.

Upon coming home, I tried to contact Royal Caribbean about my lost luggage. This is when I found out that there is no way I can make contact other than calling a 1-800 number. This number connects to their Guest Relations Dept, which is apparently located in Manilla. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with an office located in Manilla, except that this office is set up for the sole purpose of calming their concerned customers only. They cannot help in any other way, even though I told them that I have my CPAP machine in the luggage, a medical equipment that I rely on every night for health purposes.

For a span of 4 months and 12 phone calls to this office, the only answers to my lost luggage are:

(1) The luggage has been found back in May 2017.

(2) The luggage has been relocated to another Royal Caribbean office in Shanghai, China.

(3) They have no information on whether or when the luggage will be shipped back to me.

(4) They don't know why. And Guest Relations Dept cannot give me any other contact in Royal Caribbean.

In this period of 4 months since my luggage was lost, I have tried to contact the Royal Caribbean Luggage Support Dept and even the Royal Caribbean Corporate Office, by emails and letter mail. Royal Caribbean didn't even respond.

And Royal Caribbean Guest Relations cannot or will not give me any reason why they are not shipping back my lost luggage, even after 4 months since the luggage has been found.

So, the moral of my storey is: If you don't want to go through the major headache of losing your luggage with Royal Caribbean, take all your luggage yourself with you on disembarkation. Don't leave them out on the corridor outside your state room.

For me, 4 cruises with Royal Caribbean seem to be enough. Afterall, other cruise lines give me much better perks and customer service.

PS

Just in case this forum message catches the eye of Royal Caribbean, who may want to verify the authenticity of the storey, my "Reservation No." is 1155874.

Contact Laly with all of the relevant details at ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com

That's unfortunate, I hope that you will heed some of the great advice here, I know it won't get your stuff back but it should help you avoid having it happen again.

Some of his info was that RC may have his bag. If so, perhaps some of the provided contact information will cause his luggage to reappear.