Live from Whisper Montreal to New York

dusababy

Whisper is in fine shape. No dark bumper marks along the bow -- new carpets in all the suites -- nicks and gouges in desk tops have been repaired - looks almost like new..

Captain Luigi Rutigliano (sp?) seems very proud of his baby and it shows everywhere. Vicki Van Tassell promoted to Cruise Director - Oliver is holding court at The Bar. I don't know the HD. Isabel is cruise consultant.

Every cabin is booked -- sailing FULL. I've seen a few regulars - but lots of newbies.

Meet & Mingle was a disappointment in that only 3 plus moi showed up out of the 9 registered. IMO schedule was unfortunate - first night immediately after life boat drill - everyone otherwise engaged.

Ready for questions.........?

Good to hear that all seems to be going swimmingly. We are on the next one, New York to Barbados and I am getting little blips of excitement when I think that this time next week....

Enjoy the rest of your voyage and thank you for posting so reassuringly.

Rp

Am glad to hear everything was very good on this trip. We are getting on in New York and going to Barbados as well and I'm just about ready to start packing! We will arrive in to New York on Wednesday.

Has SS fully installed the inactive TV system with on demand movies? What other features are included - menus, shipboard account, shore excursions, etc? Do they still have DVD players in the suites? I believe they used to have a clock with an iPod/iPhone docking station. Do they still have the same clock or did they upgrade it? Have they made any upgrades to fitness center equipment?

Thanks in advance. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Whisper is in fine shape. No dark bumper marks along the bow -- new carpets in all the suites -- nicks and gouges in desk tops have been repaired - looks almost like new..

Captain Luigi Rutigliano (sp?) seems very proud of his baby and it shows everywhere. Vicki Van Tassell promoted to Cruise Director - Oliver is holding court at The Bar. I don't know the HD. Isabel is cruise consultant.

Every cabin is booked -- sailing FULL. I've seen a few regulars - but lots of newbies.

Meet & Mingle was a disappointment in that only 3 plus moi showed up out of the 9 registered. IMO schedule was unfortunate - first night immediately after life boat drill - everyone otherwise engaged.

Ready for questions.........?

Did you get to meet Markham at the M&M, I'm looking forward to his views on SS v Seabourn.

Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has SS fully installed the inactive TV system with on demand movies? What other features are included - menus, shipboard account, shore excursions, etc? Do they still have DVD players in the suites? I believe they used to have a clock with an iPod/iPhone docking station. Do they still have the same clock or did they upgrade it? Have they made any upgrades to fitness center equipment?

No - not installed. DVD players are are still available. I don't know what clock you're referring to -- the one on the desk is fine.

I don't use the fitness center -- sorry I can't help with that.

I can report the same wonderful attentive personable and almost perfect in every way crew. Amazing how they remember faces, personal preferences, etc. This is really coming home to family.

Regarding brands of bourbon etc......I'm not that particular I guess. I can call Glenlivit - Makers Mark - Grey Goose - anything my little heart desires is provided. Easy to please -- slow to complain-- makes for a very happy cruiser.

We're missing ports in Nova Scotia due to sea and weather conditions -- ship is flexible in providing other on-board entertainment.

BTW food is wonderful. Specially requested lunch of green salad, fettuccini Alfredo, a nice Merlot, fresh berries. Sublime.

And now it's nap time oon the Silver Whisper posting from the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the update. Interesting that Special Services told us that the interactive TV system had been installed. The clock I referenced was a silver and cube like with an iPod dock on top. Have a great trip aswe are looking forward to boarding on January 6th. Glad they did some updates and very good to hear the food is up to SS's usual standard.

Now dusababy, a very very serious query. What topics should we be mugging up on for trivia- if you do it? Do we need to know our philias and phobias and our collective nouns or flags of the world? Only a few days left for swotting.

Rp

When we were on the Whisper in spring they still had the clock with the iPod dock, mostly old style, but if you asked they would get you one with a 'lightening' style dock. On the Muse however the clock is new and has a USB connection (ours did not work with my iPod) and Bluetooth, which required the Butler to show you how to make the connection work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now dusababy, a very very serious query. What topics should we be mugging up on for trivia- if you do it? Do we need to know our philias and phobias and our collective nouns or flags of the world? Only a few days left for swotting.

Rp

Vickie is a fun Trivia master -- she's all over the map and I don't think you can anticipate any particular subject. Just check in and enjoy.

BTW -- I haven't found a single thing to complain about. Last night dining room was a bit overwhelmed with everyone arriving at once but they managed.

This is markham and I am sorry I was a no show. I am now in the Port of Sydney cruise terminal scoffing free wifi. I will prepare a review comparing this ship to what I know very well from Seabourn when I get home. It is not an easy task - the ships are quite different inside and out and have very different personalities - as I want to be very fair and not come across as especially judgmental although I guess that’s an inevitable part of the “territory”!

For now, though, I have to give fill marks to the quality of the food in all of Whisper’s restaurants. Also for the very calm restaurant service- as in “where IS everybody?” And commend all of the maitres d’hotel and senior bar staff who, to me, are the memorable faces of Silversea.

More in a few days and thank you for your patience!

Happy and healthy sailing!

Dusa,

My girls and I loved Miss Vicky. See if she remembers “The Whisper Sisters with Terry, starring Andrew”. This was such fun, (and a winning team) mostly because of having my daughters and niece with me. With two new friends we laughed our heads off. Please say hi to Oliver whom I have missed seeing for almost 2 years. So many wonderful SS friends...and thanks to the line I met YOU! Hugs to W. XO, Pash

Markham - great to hear from you. Looking forward very much to your review. Like you we have lots of days and and points with Seabourn (498/600). We are very much Seabourn fans, but are very disappointed that they do no serve lunch in the MDR when in port and during sea days the MDR lunch menu is very limited. SS is light years ahead in terms of the MDR lunch menu during both sea and port days. We only have 208 days on SS, but they are now our go to cruise line. We are booked on the 2018 and 2019 WC trips. If you liked the Whisper, you should try the Wind and/or Cloud as they are very similar to the little sisters, except in our view very much better. Also, in our view, La Terrazza is much better for both lunch and dinner than the Colonnade. Just our opinion. At the end of the day, both are great, and most depends on itinerary.

SS is light years ahead in terms of the MDR lunch menu during both sea and port days.

For those of us who, for various reasons, are likely to remain aboard during port days and for whom the MDR offerings are very important, this is a very important strength of Silversea. Long may it last.....

Whisper halted by storm in Halifax:

We docked here yesterday (Sunday) morning for a scheduled stop with a 4.00 pm departure time. Due to storm this has now been extended to Tuesday morning at a departure time still TBC.

This means we miss calls at Portland, Boston and Newport and will sail directly to NYC where we ‘may’ arrive on Wednesday afternoon, slightly ahead of our planned Thursday morning arrival and conclusion of this cruise.

However, this is of little if any benefit as the Cruise Director has already advised us there will be no Customs, hence no disembarkation till Thursday morning.

Whisper halted by storm in Halifax:

We docked here yesterday (Sunday) morning for a scheduled stop with a 4.00 pm departure time. Due to storm this has now been extended to Tuesday morning at a departure time still TBC.

This means we miss calls at Portland, Boston and Newport and will sail directly to NYC where we ‘may’ arrive on Wednesday afternoon, slightly ahead of our planned Thursday morning arrival and conclusion of this cruise.

However, this is of little if any benefit as the Cruise Director has already advised us there will be no Customs, hence no disembarkation till Thursday morning.

A very unfortunate situation for any number of reasons, but this is a powerful storm striking the US east coast. Fortunately, Halifax is an interesting and welcoming place. Hope you and your fellow passengers find worthy diversions on and off the ship.