Included short Excursions

hypercafe

We are going on the Muse March 22 to the Caribbean. I received a email today saying there will now be free shore trips in each port on this trip to help support the local economy etc. I checked the cruise calendar and they are shown. There are quite a few in each port and some very nice ones, more than just a walk around. A very nice add on if you are interested in the Caribbean.

I agree with Keith -- if this is not a step down the Regent path of routinely including excursions and of course raising fares accordingly. Providing such excursions on these islands that have survived recent storms is a clever way of assisting in recovery and helping the economy without making the island a recipient of charity. The effect is rather similar, but the islanders will have pride in earning this stimulus to the economy.

We are going on the Muse March 22 to the Caribbean. I received a email today saying there will now be free shore trips in each port on this trip to help support the local economy etc. I checked the cruise calendar and they are shown. There are quite a few in each port and some very nice ones, more than just a walk around. A very nice add on if you are interested in the Caribbean.

We got the same email yesterday for our March Wind voyage. Yet to look at what is offered, but thought it was a nice thing to do. It's one free trip per port.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with Regent's included tours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with Keith -- if this is not a step down the Regent path of routinely including excursions and of course raising fares accordingly. Providing such excursions on these islands that have survived recent storms is a clever way of assisting in recovery and helping the economy without making the island a recipient of charity. The effect is rather similar, but the islanders will have pride in earning this stimulus to the economy.

I don't think this is a step toward "regentizing" Silversea. It's merely a way to get people to book Caribbean cruises which many are reluctant to do post hurricanes.

I don't think this is a step toward "regentizing" Silversea. It's merely a way to get people to book Caribbean cruises which many are reluctant to do post hurricanes.

Actually, I did not really imagine that this was a nose under the tent or a foot in the door toward Regentizing. That was a throw-away. But I saw this as a charitable gesture on Silversea's part to support the economies -- not a sales device. Your take on this is probably closer to the truth than mine. I can be very naive at (many?) times.

It seems to me they have created a 'win-win' situation. Providing free shore excursions is bound to help with recovery and boost the local economies (does anyone ever go on an excursion without spending something?)... and it certainly can't hurt SS bookings.

EDIT: It's actually a 'triple win' - those who have already booked benefit as well.

Edited by Bill B

I suppose getting guests off the ships who hadn’t booked a tour, is one way of saving on the ships food and bar bills! lol

Nice gesture from SS and hopefully people do spend a little to help economies rather than stay on the ship because the island looks “a little scruffy”.

I’m wondering if this is becoming a theme generally. My Asia cruise has a free tour in each port too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m wondering if this is becoming a theme generally. My Asia cruise has a free tour in each port too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you please say a bit more about this, especially your Asian cruise?

I took a quick look at the Silversea web page and saw no evidence that they were promoting the free tours in the Caribbean.

Could you please say a bit more about this, especially your Asian cruise?

I took a quick look at the Silversea web page and saw no evidence that they were promoting the free tours in the Caribbean.

I hadn’t looked at any Caribbean cruises .... I just assumed the emails people said they had received were genuine.

On the Asian free tours, I just had a quick browse in early 2018 and all the ones I looked at state “free shore excursions included”.

In mine, I have a 4 hour junk cruise in halong bay, tour of Ho Ch Minh and a choice in Da Nang of 2 all with no charge

I am wondering if this is also a safety feature? Having guests on ship sponsored tours may make guests feel more safe and thus more apt to visit a hurricane ravaged port.

Why would guests visiting a hurricane-ravaged port feel safer on a ship-sponsored tour?

I can see how some people might feel safer on ship-sponsored tours in general, but fail to see what hurricane damage has to do with it.

Why would guests visiting a hurricane-ravaged port feel safer on a ship-sponsored tour?

I can see how some people might feel safer on ship-sponsored tours in general, but fail to see what hurricane damage has to do with it.

Perhaps a ship sponsored tour vs wondering on your own?

Reports of limited resources, looting, higher crime rates.... Just a few reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
That is terrific.

Keith

IMO - it appears that you only post to get postings since you post on many boards that you have not cruised on. Pretty sad. Given your cheer leading for Crystal, you have no idea about the benefits of Silversea/Seabourn. There is really no comparison. Silversea/Seabourn is light years ahead of Crystal. Get a life - 90,000 posts? Really?

IMO - it appears that you only post to get postings since you post on many boards that you have not cruised on. Pretty sad. Given your cheer leading for Crystal, you have no idea about the benefits of Silversea/Seabourn. There is really no comparison. Silversea/Seabourn is light years ahead of Crystal. Get a life - 90,000 posts? Really?

Only post to get postings? Really?

Ironic you tell Keith to get a life when his must be so interesting you're his stalker!

DCC,

It might be my imagination but didn't you post an identical personal attack on Keith some weeks ago which was moderator deleted? If so ... why have tou repeated it.

Keith is an extremely popular and helpful poster whose repuation is rock solid on several boards and I'm not clear why you feel this type of behaviour is acceptable. It isn't.