Watches

JollyMia

Amazon

I have notboug t watches in those island s but have see n c ruisers in the jewelry shops inside cruise terminal in Barbados buying them l I cannot say if good prices or selection but some of those stores have been there a long time. you would save sales tax and who knows what else? Research before you travel so you will know price if you choos e to shop in Caribbean, verify with the store that any warranty on the watch is valid in U.S. and will be honored.

Edited by sail7seas

Best place to get a watch St Lucia ,Grenada,Barbados,Antigua St Vincent

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like watches, and if we're in a shopping district, I can usually be found perusing the watch displays. I don't recall seeing much in the locales you mentioned, but I may have missed them.

If you have a specific watch brand or model in mind, do your research ahead of time and know the price for each model you're considering. Then you'll know if a deal is to be had or not. And don't forget that you may owe duty on it when you go home, which adds to the equation. St. Thomas probably has the best selection of watches across all the manufacturers and price ranges I've seen in the Caribbean, followed closely by St. Maarten and Nassau.

I'll also suggest that if you have your heart set on a specific make/model, check with the manufacturer to see if they have an authorized dealer where you're going. Then contact the store to see if they have that particular watch in stock.

If you're not sure about brands/models, find a large online watch retailer and check out their selection. It'll give you an idea of whats out there and the price points.

It used to be that there were great deals on Swiss watches in the Caribbean. I haven't seen any real deals in the ten years we've been going. The internet has made the world a pretty small place. It's easy to find out what the going price for a particular watch, or anything for that matter, with a google search.

Others suggested Amazon and your local jeweler. Those aren't bad suggestions.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

I also bought a good(ish) watch in St Thomas, but it was a few years ago when the exchange rate was more favourable for us.

Bought another one in Mykonos last summer. Excellent price (and enjoyable afternoon's negotiation with a typical Greek merchant). Official store.

Suggest you do some pricing before you depart and compare prices when you get to the Caribbean. I think it's pretty unlikely you will find a bargain with current exchange rates.

I like watches, and if we're in a shopping district, I can usually be found perusing the watch displays. I don't recall seeing much in the locales you mentioned, but I may have missed them.

If you have a specific watch brand or model in mind, do your research ahead of time and know the price for each model you're considering. Then you'll know if a deal is to be had or not. And don't forget that you may owe duty on it when you go home, which adds to the equation. St. Thomas probably has the best selection of watches across all the manufacturers and price ranges I've seen in the Caribbean, followed closely by St. Maarten and Nassau.

I'll also suggest that if you have your heart set on a specific make/model, check with the manufacturer to see if they have an authorized dealer where you're going. Then contact the store to see if they have that particular watch in stock.

If you're not sure about brands/models, find a large online watch retailer and check out their selection. It'll give you an idea of whats out there and the price points.

It used to be that there were great deals on Swiss watches in the Caribbean. I haven't seen any real deals in the ten years we've been going. The internet has made the world a pretty small place. It's easy to find out what the going price for a particular watch, or anything for that matter, with a google search.

Others suggested Amazon and your local jeweler. Those aren't bad suggestions.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Again, I sugest if anyone buys a watch or eletronics ouside U.S.t hey confirm the waranty will be good at home

Again, I sugest if anyone buys a watch or eletronics ouside U.S.t hey confirm the waranty will be good at home

The OP is from 'North Wales' which is part of the UK, so being 'outside US' or inside US is irrelevant.

The OP is from 'North Wales' which is part of the UK, so being 'outside US' or inside US is irrelevant.

Sorry, I did not see that. My sincere apologies.

Do you think the advice to verify a warranty on a watch they may buy will be valid in their home country to be pertinent ,nonetheless?

If you are spending a lot of money I always believe in buying the jewelry at home for several reasons; one is if there are issues it is easier to deal with and you can take your time to make the decision.

Keith

Good points - also you avoid the risk of "vacation brain" impacting your decision.

So, Brazil?

yes. The internet is worldwide, thus www

Can Amazon ship to Brazil?

According to Borderlinx records, Amazon.com is one of Brazil's favorite overseas retailer, and for good reason. You can get almost anything on Amazon.com and ship it to Brazil through Borderlinx. You can buy from the USA on Amazon.com: dvds, books, the kindle, toys, headphones or clothing, jewelry and kitchenware

With the rise of the internet, Amazon, Overstock, ebay...There are generally no bargains in the Caribbean unless you are from Europe and the exchange rate is in your favor. The big stores in the Caribbean...Diamonds International, Little Switzerland, etc will all have reputable name brand watches. Their prices may be slightly lower than in the US. If you have a particular line of model you are looking for, I suggest you price them at home and online, and also on the ship. Compare those prices with those in the island stores. If it meets your criteria, buy it. Several years ago I purchased a Philip Stein watch on Coral Princess, because I had been watching prices and the ship had a considerable savings from the online prices. No tax or shipping, either...EM

Best place to get a watch St Lucia ,Grenada,Barbados,Antigua St Vincent

None of the above. Find a watch you like, make note of the brand and model, and then search it on the internet. I guarantee you'll find it cheaper. Cruise port jewelry stores are price gougers who prey on cruise passenger who, like navybankerteacher said, have "vacation brain."

I bought a quality automatic Tissot swiss watch at the Tissot Boutique in St-Thomas.

You can bargain and prices are better than here in Canada.

The taxes can be awful in Canada and saving that is nice. :)