Whisper Works Whilst Guests Onboard ?

Perfectionistcruiser

I recently disembarked the Whisper Montreal-New York Cruise (that was storm delayed and missed four ports), and whilst in the circumstances it was a good cruise, I was disappointed and am surprised that no other guests have mentioned the permanent three tents erected on the Pool Deck to provide shelter for workers conducting repairs to timber decking, which was dusty, noisy and highly disruptive to anyone wishing to sit in the pool area.

It is my belief that S S should manage these issues during dry docks or empty passage, we do not pay to travel on a construction site !!

And there is more to come, for the poor souls taking the next voyage from Barbados up to Manaus and back to Barbados, they are to be joined by 35 contractors/carpet layers and 50 plus roles of carpet in three containers, and all the public area carpets will be replaced during the cruise.

This will necessitate dining rooms and other public spaces out of use for periods of time and all manner of other disruption, why would guests pay to be disrupted in this way ?

A real shame when S S are doing so well on many fronts now, that this work whilst guests on board will further alienate many others.

Why shell out for a dry dock when you can continue to take money for cruises and maybe upset a few people but be quids in?

Takes off Silversea hat.....

Minor maintenance is one thing, but if it’s to a level it spoils your cruise, then it’s really not acceptable with fares being charged. That said, having had a cruise cancelled for an unplanned dry dock, it’s also a route I’d not want either. Better planning is certainly needed.

I assume you have complained to guest services? Silversea are usually pretty good at compensation when things don’t go well, though I know a “perfect cruise” would have been preferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am currently on the Whisper (NYC to Barbados) and I don't find the deck work too intrusive - it's vaguely annoying, and was also going on when I was on the Whisper a couple of months ago (Southampton to Montreal), but I don't sit round the pool much, I prefer deck 9 for sunbathing. They don't work in the evenings when Hot Rocks is happening. But I can see how it would bother a lot of people, and I am definitely glad I'm not on the next cruise - that is going to be an issue.

However, to go a little off topic, I was rather surprised when I boarded in New York to find the main public corridors cluttered with large pictures on easels, and to read about art lectures and art auctions in the Chronicles. The pictures are huge and astoundingly ugly (IMO) so I did wonder at first if it was a very clever ironic exhibition to highlight the essential meaningless subjectivity of 'art', but apparently they are ordinary art auctions, just like onboard the mainstream lines.

Does anyone know when the refurbishments of the Whisper are going to be complete? I am on the Whisper December 19 leaving Fort Lauderdale on the holiday cruise.

Any information and updates on the refurbishment would be appreciated

I would think they should be done by the end of November/beginning of December (by the time she get back to Barbados). Generally, it takes long range planning to schedule a drydock. Since there was a drydock last year, I'm sure that SS had no plans for a 2017 drydock. However, SS received many complaints about the drydock during the 2017 WC, thus they decided to do an in service rehab in November prior to the 2018 WC with a full drydock next year prior to the 2019 WC. I believe Mark Conroy talked about this in his CC Q&A.

I recently disembarked the Whisper Montreal-New York Cruise (that was storm delayed and missed four ports), and whilst in the circumstances it was a good cruise, I was disappointed and am surprised that no other guests have mentioned the permanent three tents erected on the Pool Deck to provide shelter for workers conducting repairs to timber decking, which was dusty, noisy and highly disruptive to anyone wishing to sit in the pool area.

It is my belief that S S should manage these issues during dry docks or empty passage, we do not pay to travel on a construction site !!

And there is more to come, for the poor souls taking the next voyage from Barbados up to Manaus and back to Barbados, they are to be joined by 35 contractors/carpet layers and 50 plus roles of carpet in three containers, and all the public area carpets will be replaced during the cruise.

This will necessitate dining rooms and other public spaces out of use for periods of time and all manner of other disruption, why would guests pay to be disrupted in this way ?

A real shame when S S are doing so well on many fronts now, that this work whilst guests on board will further alienate many others.

You are right to be annoyed and should complain to the GR dept. We have been onboard when the decking has been repaired and it makes the pool deck almost unusable during the day. The carpeting shouldn't be such a big issue as it will only affect small areas at any one time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would think they should be done by the end of November/beginning of December (by the time she get back to Barbados). Generally, it takes long range planning to schedule a drydock. Since there was a drydock last year, I'm sure that SS had no plans for a 2017 drydock. However, SS received many complaints about the drydock during the 2017 WC, thus they decided to do an in service rehab in November prior to the 2018 WC with a full drydock next year prior to the 2019 WC. I believe Mark Conroy talked about this in his CC Q&A.

I was on the same voyage as the OP. Staff said the ship is going in to a full dry dock this spring lasting 2 months.

I was on the same voyage as the OP. Staff said the ship is going in to a full dry dock this spring lasting 2 months.

Unless they have changed their mind over the last few weeks, this was asked and answered a few weeks ago.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54114208&postcount=6

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54114322&postcount=7

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54114935&postcount=9

Your third URL (above) describes an awful lot of work presumably to be accomplished now (early November) while passengers are cruising. Lots of new carpets, new wallpaper, new furniture, even a new ceiling!!! I'm sure the ship will look nice for the WC, but it looks to be *very* disruptive to people who are paying for a luxury vacation while this work is taking place. Perhaps they have some magic wand to instantly remove old carpeting and install new carpets while people are at dinner. Isn't this what dry docks are for?

Reports from the ship.......?

Thanks UKJeff - I thought that Mark had said before the 2019 WC, but didn't remember it was actually December 2018. According to the Whisper 2018 schedule, voyage 4831 ends December 7th in Fort Lauderdale with voyage 4832 beginning December 20th from Fort Lauderdale. I'm guessing the drydock will be in Freeport for about 10 days. Knew it couldn't be in the spring since we are on the world cruise Jan 6th through May 8th. After the WC there are only two other breaks - 2 weeks in August and 1 week in September. Since there are missing voyage numbers, these are probably charters.

Edited by DCCruiser57
editorial

Your third URL (above) describes an awful lot of work presumably to be accomplished now (early November) while passengers are cruising. Lots of new carpets, new wallpaper, new furniture, even a new ceiling!!! I'm sure the ship will look nice for the WC, but it looks to be *very* disruptive to people who are paying for a luxury vacation while this work is taking place. Perhaps they have some magic wand to instantly remove old carpeting and install new carpets while people are at dinner. Isn't this what dry docks are for?

I suspect the majority of the work will be done during port days with most passengers off the ship.

O,

I find it difficult to believe that Mark who was waiting for some new latest information before posting a few weeks ago would have been unaware of a dry dock in early 2018. With no disrespect intended, one of the issues previously created was an over-selling by SS of a previous refurb being over-sold and under delivered. So the prose might be just a touch poetic. ;)

Also, the work being done now and next cruise could have easily and better beein incorporated into any dry dock planned in early 2018.

Also the Whisper schedules still imply a full sailing schedule for first half 2018.

Nothing is ever predictable or certain but all of this seems to me to point towards nothing has changed since Mark's post.

I suspect the majority of the work will be done during port days with most passengers off the ship.

Do you really imagine that Panorama or Terrazza can be recarpeted with furniture replaced in a few hours? What about the passengers who elect to stay onboard?

Thank you all for your comments, the carpet laying with 35 contractors/fitters is clearly going to cause considerable disruption.

Firstly those contractors have to be accommodated , I don’t think they can do that in the crew area, so that’s a good few cabins.

The carpet I was told ( by the H D) is to be similar/ same as that now on The Muse. So it really is a massive transformation from the present and includes every public space on the Ship.

My understanding was no dry dock till late 2019.

People do get the cruises they deserve, and it's hard to argue a case at the management table for less intrusive procedures when there is clearly general acceptance by the clientele of highly disruptive works while in service.

Most hotels also renovate while trading and there are endless stories of disruption in this genre.

People do get the cruises they deserve, and it's hard to argue a case at the management table for less intrusive procedures when there is clearly general acceptance by the clientele of highly disruptive works while in service.

Most hotels also renovate while trading and there are endless stories of disruption in this genre.

There isn't "general acceptance".

On a ship you have no choice, and all you can do is complain, and "they" know you can't do a thing about it, whereas in a hotel, you can refuse to pay and/or move to a different hotel. :)

If the idea is to make the ship more Muse like, there is no carpeting in La T on the Muse.

The center walkway on the Muse is a tile which looks like wood and sweats when it's humid and the doors to outside seating are opened and closed. On the recent cruise I was on, this condensation on the floor made it so slippery that a red carpet( presumably from some fancy event) was rolled out on the center walkway.

I have no idea how this can be fixed other than the carpet overlay or not opening the doors to the outside.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There isn't "general acceptance".

On a ship you have no choice, and all you can do is complain, and "they" know you can't do a thing about it, whereas in a hotel, you can refuse to pay and/or move to a different hotel. :)

You believe that there is not general acceptance ? You surprise me ..

If there was not general acceptance it would not happen.

If hotels did not get away with operational renovations.. they would not happen.

Sure some venetians will bleat a bit (and then rebook) .. but the majority on board are arguably aspirational first

timers ; neophytic cannon fodder who will assume that this is the way things are done.. and they are right...

You believe that there is not general acceptance ? You surprise me ..

If there was not general acceptance it would not happen.

If hotels did not get away with operational renovations.. they would not happen.

Sure some venetians will bleat a bit (and then rebook) .. but the majority on board are arguably aspirational first

timers ; neophytic cannon fodder who will assume that this is the way things are done.. and they are right...

In thinking again abgout your post, in fact I should have been clearer as I think we largely agree. The issue is that most of SS customers are US. The US has virtually no consumer protection and there is no recourse for them. In Oz and the EU we do have extrmely comprehensive protection, although most people do not fully appreciate how wide and easy it is to assert it.

SS make a commercial decision to disrupt what is sold as a luxury cruise for their customers in order to save themselves the cost of a dry dock and the loss of revenue whilst that takes place. The reason why that commercial decision is profitable is because the bulk of their customers ie US based have no recourse. You in Oz and we in the EU do and it is extremely easy and inexpensive to invoke. Whilst there is no commercial downside to SS, and US customers have no "bite" then I agree with you that you were right to describe it as "general acceptance".

I was thinking of it from my perspective and UK, EU and Oz customers who probably do have decent recourse if we are sufficiently hacked off. I would seek compensation in the UK if I felt I hadn't received what I should and I'd be confident I'd get it. :)

timers

I thought Venetians generally were a healthy majority of passengers onboard. At least that was my sense from hearing numbers at Venetian receptions.

If the work is as disruptive as it looks to be, I imagine that passengers will receive a nice bit of compensation (50% off future cruise?) for enduring the disruption. After all, this is not like the earlier Whisper issues in New England/Canada, caused by weather and wholly out of control of Silversea. This is apparently discretionary work, with scheduling entirely within control of Silversea.

I understand what I consider typical maintenance like varnishing railings, touching up paint, fixing an obviously broken or damaged piece of furniture, etc. I have been on mass market cruise lines and they do the same kind of maintenance but I’ve also been on ships on their last cruise before or first cruise after dry dock. The before scenario was that they actually started some of the work with two days left in the cruise. That meant large areas of the upper decks were blocked off, shops closed, interiors of common areas stripped of wall coverings, etc. That was a never again experience for us. The after scenario was the same but diffferent in that thins actually got better as the cruise went on but it was distracting to board and see unfinished interiors, rolls of carpet stashed in common areas waiting to be installed, etc. That was also a never again experience. I expect better from Silversea.