Sapphire Princess from Southampton dress code

amajaa

I only post what is printed in the Patter. I didn’t make it up.

As long as you insist on quoting the website verbatim, please post the direct link. I couldn’t find that. BTW, What are “nice” shoes? :)

Enjoy your cruise.

King

Sure thing.

While they do have suggestions always posted at the door entrance I've found that they are much more lenient about their policy and follow what they publish on their website since not everyone enjoys getting dressed up for formal night.

It's http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

It's under "Packing for Your Cruise"

Then under "Learn more on what to pack for your Cruise"

Last paragraph.

IMO, one of the nice things about cruises that involve Great Britain and European ports is that more passengers seem to be inclined to dress for the dining room more in compliance with Princess' "recommended" attire.

In reality, Caribbean, Alaskan, and other itineraries with mainly US passengers seem to have a higher proportion of passengers who "dress down" and get away with it because it seems like the Maitre 'ds don't have the nerve to stand up to the "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want to" type of passengers.

Call me old fashioned, but even after 40+ cruises, I still find every cruise to be a special event worthy of dressing up for dinner, especially on formal nights.

In reality, Caribbean, Alaskan, and other itineraries with mainly US passengers seem to have a higher proportion of passengers who "dress down" and get away with it because it seems like the Maitre 'ds don't have the nerve to stand up to the "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want to" type of passengers.

How is it "getting away with it" when Princess explicitly says that it's alright with them?

Try entering with a bathing suit, cutoff shorts, flip flops or a hat and you are correct, but following their rules as given on their website & you'll be OK to dine.

The original poster, amajaa outlines the situation encountered on P&O and Cunard cruises and seems to be using these as a guide for comparison. After watching the Princess documentaries on UK TV has become confused. The post is seeking clarification on what most likely will be encountered on a Princess Cruise from Southampton. I infer from this that the original poster wants to fit in with the majority and comply with requirements of the dress code. Reading a cruise line dress code accurately in precise detail can give rise to a wide variation of what is acceptable but the Princess wording is more restrictive not mentioning national dress or military dress. Essentially one does not want to turn up having made a faux pas.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The original poster, amajaa outlines the situation encountered on P&O and Cunard cruises and seems to be using these as a guide for comparison. After watching the Princess documentaries on UK TV has become confused. The post is seeking clarification on what most likely will be encountered on a Princess Cruise from Southampton. I infer from this that the original poster wants to fit in with the majority and comply with requirements of the dress code. Reading a cruise line dress code accurately in precise detail can give rise to a wide variation of what is acceptable but the Princess wording is more restrictive not mentioning national dress or military dress. Essentially one does not want to turn up having made a faux pas.

Regards John

Spot on John, thanks.

Yes we want to fit in, we don’t want to dress up to the nines if no one else does, equally we certainly don’t want to dress down and find we are the odd one out. As you say watching The Cruise series on the telly no one seemed to dress up much even when they said it was a formal night, but I was hoping I would get answers saying yes do dress up when travelling from a U K port. Which I have, so thanks to those posters.

Just posting what the website says doesn’t really help as it seems to differ per cruise. It’s like saying read what a critic says about a film, everyone will have their own opinion and it’s more useful to get the opinions of the general public and with a cruise actual passengers.

Sure thing.

While they do have suggestions always posted at the door entrance I've found that they are much more lenient about their policy and follow what they publish on their website since not everyone enjoys getting dressed up for formal night.

Last paragraph.

Found it. That’s interesting.

Thank you.

King

Sure thing.

Last paragraph.

The last paragraph , I believe says it all:

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. When packing, bring wrinkle-free items or try rolling your clothes. Folding clothes can create creases, and cruise cabins are not equipped with irons (although they can be found in the ship's laundry rooms)."

Spot on John, thanks.

Yes we want to fit in, we don’t want to dress up to the nines if no one else does, equally we certainly don’t want to dress down and find we are the odd one out. As you say watching The Cruise series on the telly no one seemed to dress up much even when they said it was a formal night, but I was hoping I would get answers saying yes do dress up when travelling from a U K port. Which I have, so thanks to those posters.

Just posting what the website says doesn’t really help as it seems to differ per cruise. It’s like saying read what a critic says about a film, everyone will have their own opinion and it’s more useful to get the opinions of the general public and with a cruise actual passengers.

For Formal Nights and admission to the MDR, you will definitely “fit in” if you are dressed to the nines in your tux, or suit and tie with dress shirt, and nice shoes. And your lady / partner dressed comparably. Other evenings you can still dress that way, if you choose to do so. Many do. You will never get turned away from dining in the MDR dressed to the nines.

Suggest you bring your formal wear. If not your tux, at least your suit and tie, dress shirt, and nice shoes. Err or the side of being more dressed up than less? No angst. ;)

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. :)

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

sorry, but I'm not wearing no stinkin' tie now

too confining around my throat and sometimes have swallowing issues...

if forced, I would just drape it around my collar...not "tied" at all...

now about the shoe issue.....;p

Ex-Southampton,round trip on Princess cruises, I have spotted two gentlemen wearing kilts on a formal night. This led to them chatting together in the atrium and a queue of drinks waitresses having photos of them taken with a Scotsman either side. The wives were sensibly chatting together to the side as one would expect. "A good time was had by all" as Tommy Cockles says.

Another Princess cruise a guy wore a kilt every night, so I asked him, well you have to. Apparently on the smart casual nights a different jacket or no jacket was worn with the kilt, there are also "dress" tartans and therefore a choice with some clans. Another Scotsman surprised me by wearing a Piper's Doublet and kilt with a Fly Plaid.

I have joined the roll call for my own Princess cruise in August and raised the "Formal Dress" issue and the response was tuxedos on two nights. Another source of relevant information on your cruise is the appropriate roll call and then ask on formal nights; "What are you wearing?" then see what people travelling on that sailing say.

Ex-Southampton round trip generally quite dressy I should say even though National Dress is not mentioned.

Regards John

Sure thing.

Last paragraph.

I'll be darned, never read that article before. Thanks for posting the link.

Ex-Southampton,round trip on Princess cruises, I have spotted two gentlemen wearing kilts on a formal night. This led to them chatting together in the atrium and a queue of drinks waitresses having photos of them taken with a Scotsman either side. The wives were sensibly chatting together to the side as one would expect. "A good time was had by all" as Tommy Cockles says.

Another Princess cruise a guy wore a kilt every night, so I asked him, well you have to. Apparently on the smart casual nights a different jacket or no jacket was worn with the kilt, there are also "dress" tartans and therefore a choice with some clans. Another Scotsman surprised me by wearing a Piper's Doublet and kilt with a Fly Plaid.

I have joined the roll call for my own Princess cruise in August and raised the "Formal Dress" issue and the response was tuxedos on two nights. Another source of relevant information on your cruise is the appropriate roll call and then ask on formal nights; "What are you wearing?" then see what people travelling on that sailing say.

Ex-Southampton round trip generally quite dressy I should say even though National Dress is not mentioned.

Regards John

Well hubby hasn’t got a kilt (a lowland Scot) but he has got a tartan bow tie which we will pack for one of the formal nights.