Crab Shack vs. Tracy's

DisneyDatknee

Tracy's is far superior, and just a more fun experience. Yes. it is spendy, and, yes, you will be dining with 100s of your "closest friends."

My wife and I have started having lunch at Deckhand Daves when in Juneau. It's located at Tracy's' old location. Much less crowded, less expensive and AWSOME fish tacos.

Anyone have a preference or is there a difference? We are in Juneau today and people told us that Tracy's is used on-board as well.

And you actually believe them? The food served at Crab Shack is sourced the same as most every other item in the larder: shipped frozen in a container from a supplier far, far away from the ship's actual homeport.

I was lucky enough to be on Island Princess which is the only Princess ship calling at Icy Strait Point. A pound and half of King Crab with all the fixin's for $55 at The Crab Station. Way more food than two dinners at Crab Shack. (All the online reviews calling that restaurant overpriced must be from yokels who consider Red Lobster a good value).

And you actually believe them? The food served at Crab Shack is sourced the same as most every other item in the larder: shipped frozen in a container from a supplier far, far away from the ship's actual homeport.

I was lucky enough to be on Island Princess which is the only Princess ship calling at Icy Strait Point. A pound and half of King Crab with all the fixin's for $55 at The Crab Station. Way more food than two dinners at Crab Shack. (All the online reviews calling that restaurant overpriced must be from yokels who consider Red Lobster a good value).

They were serving Tracy's Crabcakes on the ship the other day. Just felt the rumours were true since Crab Shack is on the same day we are in Juneau.

Hey! I generally like Red Lobster but their crab is nasty nasty nasty. Truth be told I guess I'm just there for the biscuits.

This whole thread reminded me I have a bunch of gift certificates for a good local crab shack in SF Bay Area where I just might go tonight...

The sizing and type of the crab legs are far different. The ship also steals them to death, and they are about as quality as the $15.99 ones I get from Safeway on discount here. The fresh legs at Tracy’s are sweet - not salty, very tender, and absolutely incredible. The diameter of a leg is over an inch.

The sizing and type of the crab legs are far different. The ship also steals them to death, and they are about as quality as the $15.99 ones I get from Safeway on discount here. The fresh legs at Tracy’s are sweet - not salty, very tender, and absolutely incredible. The diameter of a leg is over an inch.

I’ve been told that there are no fresh crab legs in Alaska, it’s all frozen just like you get at home.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

I’ve been told that there are no fresh crab legs in Alaska, it’s all frozen just like you get at home.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

This is actually true. All crab legs and parts are flash frozen on the boats or on the dock and then shipped. For actual fresh crab, I would recommend going into any Cantonese restaurant in Vancouver, where they will kill a crab then and there and cook it three ways - steamed legs with garlic, salt and pepper battered fried knuckles, and the tomalley and meat of the crab used to make a crab fried rice served in the shell of the crab.

My death row meal - both because of the deliciousness of it all, but also because supply and demand has lifted the price per pound of the crab in Vancouver to $62 a pound and the smallest sizes usually average out at 8.

Tracy’s crab quality has come the closest to fresh crab that I have ever had, and we eat a lot of king crab, coming from Seattle.

Tracy's is on Princess ships - I have never eaten it but it is listed here:

LOCAL DIVES

Try specialty dishes on board in the top deck grill from local eateries including crab cakes from Tracy's King Crab Shack in Juneau, fish tacos from The Alaska Fish House in Ketchikan and seafood chowder from Bonanza Bar and Grill in Skagway.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/onboard-experience/

They have been advertising this for years.

They definitely bring fresh fish on board while in Alaska. I’m not sure we which Port but with the later stops in Juneau that would make most sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on the island princess a month ago a shipment of fresh salmon was brought on board in ketchikan.

on the island princess a month ago a shipment of fresh salmon was brought on board in ketchikan.

They seem to always have seafood loaded in Ketchikan - I have seen that truck there for years. I don't know if it is fresh or frozen though. At least it is Alaskan!

They seem to always have seafood loaded in Ketchikan - I have seen that truck there for years. I don't know if it is fresh or frozen though. At least it is Alaskan!

A couple years ago, there was a "North to Alaska" promotion,

which was alaskan seafood served onboard.

The chef de cuisine spent a few minutes explaining to me why Copper River Salmon was so good.

It was.

There was a special menu insert in the Crown Grill, and a few items in the main dining room.

Truth be told I guess I'm just there for the biscuits.

You can make your own Red Lobster biscuits.

Buy a box of Bisquick.

Mix up a batch.

Add shredded cheese to the mixture (as much or as little as you prefer).

Drop spoonfuls on a pan.

Melt some butter with garlic salt in it.

Brush the butter on top of the biscuits.

Bake.

Onboard you get "Tracy's Crab cakes" lots of breading from the grill on deck. The Crab Shack in the Horizon court is a fun experience, you get a steamer bucket with a mixture of crab, shrimp, mussels, etc. On shore at Tracy's Crab Shack you get CRAB!

IMG_0751.jpeg.207190a4afdd2f3040c569ca2b8637d1.jpeg

Onboard you get "Tracy's Crab cakes" lots of breading from the grill on deck. The Crab Shack in the Horizon court is a fun experience, you get a steamer bucket with a mixture of crab, shrimp, mussels, etc. On shore at Tracy's Crab Shack you get CRAB!

When you go to Tracy's be sure that you specify the large order. You don't want the dinky serving that is shown in InAlabama's pic.

:eek:

I don't think anybody ever orders Crab Cakes at Tracy's. (If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure I'll be corrected, here.) So, if crab cakes are your thing, then, yes, order them on board.

What do you mean “steals them to death”?

King