Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:36 AM.
7,889 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by awhfy
Anita, put fragile tags on your checked luggage. It gets put in with first class & comes out sooner. Melody
The cargo hold does not have separate sections for first class and coach like the passenger cabin does. Actual first class bags (and bags of elite level frequent flyers) usually get a priority tag that MAY cause them to be loaded onto the carousel first. And baggage handlers aren't well known for paying attention to "fragile" tags.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Meg

Remembering 38 past cruises:
27 Royal Caribbean, 6 Celebrity, 2 Carnival, 2 Oceania, 1 Princess

Anticipating 2 future cruises:
Viking Atla, 7 night Danube River, Sept 2018
Oasis of the Seas, 7 night Eastern Caribbean, Feb 2019
UK
2 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Hi,

We have never cruised to Alaska before so would really appreciate any advice on what clothes to take. Our cruise starts 22 July and should it all be winter clothing and thermal underwear? We will have a few days in Vancouver and Seattle either side of the cruise but as we are travelling from the Uk do not want to bring too much stuff and we will be restricted as luggage is limited to 23kg.
We want to sled with the huskies but where is the best place? What trips do people recommend. I always book myself - never use the cruise trips as we have a teen and its better to be flexible when you travel with a teen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
North Carolina
6,076 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
For tour recommendations, check out the Alaska forum - they also have quick links to recent trip reports so you can read about what people have done in different ports.

SE Alaska is a temperate rain foresty type place. It's not the arctic. It might be wet & windy, but in July it's unlikely to be frigid. Bring light layers so you can add/subtract as needed for the temps, and make sure your outer layer is waterproof.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn 11 night Alaska 8/31/2018
Azamara 10 night Thailand/Vietnam Nov 2016
Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986
North Carolina
4,182 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I'm back. Just wanted to check in here and say that I'm available for continued Alaska wardrobe discussion!

I think we were blessed with really good weather overall. Vancouver was dry and warm.

Ketchikan had rain, no surprise, but it wasn't especially cold because the wind wasn't high. The rain was more of a light rain, not a southern gully washer...and it would come and go. Temps were in the 60s.

Icy Strait Point was dry. The sun was shining for a bit...but it was cloudy. It was cool on the water (we went whale watching)...but it also wasn't blustery cold. Definitely wanted gloves and hats though. Same moderate 60s temp.

Juneau was rainy off and on and overcast, with some patches of sunshine. Same temps.

Skagway was sun shine and beautiful. Probably the warmest weather...until we hit a spot at the lake that acted like a wind tunnel. The wind chill is severe...but getting away from it and into the sun shine was an immediate relief. Temps probably pushed toward 70.

Hubbard was sun shine and no wind. It was freezing cold on deck in the morning at 6:30 am...the wind was blowing. DS went back to the cabin to put on his long underwear pants and was much happier. I wore a cami, a long sleeved smart wool shirt, a furry fleece vest, my fleece pullover, and my raincoat. I also had on a hat, and I pulled my fleece hoodie on AND my raincoat hoodie on. I wore wind stop gloves. I wore my smart wool socks and my hiking boots, which really helped my feet and my core stay warm. I was wearing lined leggings and probably could have been more comfortable with a pair of jeans over those...or something else. As soon as the sun came out though...I was fine.

Seward was rainy and overcast and chilly on debarkation day.

Traveling to Anchorage that day, Anchorage was sunny and warm.

Traveling back into the Kenai Peninsula...it was overcast and had been raining, but the weather was on the clear and we had some clouds and a lot sunshine. There could be rain that could be described as the sky was dripping. The weather was warm and lovely on the Peninsula.

We were back in Seward over the weekend as well. It was also warm and sunny there. The locals were calling the 75+ degree weather a heat wave and were wearing shorts and spaghetti strap tops.

I didn't think to do this until we hit Anchorage on Friday (debarkation day):

Saturday Kenai Peninsula (this was taken in the evening...the high was higher earlier in the day):

Sunday Kenai Peninsula:

Sunday Seward...again in the evening...it was much warmer earlier in the day (I don't know why the actual high of the 24 hour day goes away if you pass by it):

Monday Anchorage:
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Some people celebrate their 20th anniversary...
But we know the real party is at 21 years!!!
Washington
199 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Anita Latte
I'm back. Just wanted to check in here and say that I'm available for continued Alaska wardrobe discussion!

I think we were blessed with really good weather overall. Vancouver was dry and warm.

Ketchikan had rain, no surprise, but it wasn't especially cold because the wind wasn't high. The rain was more of a light rain, not a southern gully washer...and it would come and go. Temps were in the 60s.

Icy Strait Point was dry. The sun was shining for a bit...but it was cloudy. It was cool on the water (we went whale watching)...but it also wasn't blustery cold. Definitely wanted gloves and hats though. Same moderate 60s temp.

Juneau was rainy off and on and overcast, with some patches of sunshine. Same temps.

Skagway was sun shine and beautiful. Probably the warmest weather...until we hit a spot at the lake that acted like a wind tunnel. The wind chill is severe...but getting away from it and into the sun shine was an immediate relief. Temps probably pushed toward 70.

Hubbard was sun shine and no wind. It was freezing cold on deck in the morning at 6:30 am...the wind was blowing. DS went back to the cabin to put on his long underwear pants and was much happier. I wore a cami, a long sleeved smart wool shirt, a furry fleece vest, my fleece pullover, and my raincoat. I also had on a hat, and I pulled my fleece hoodie on AND my raincoat hoodie on. I wore wind stop gloves. I wore my smart wool socks and my hiking boots, which really helped my feet and my core stay warm. I was wearing lined leggings and probably could have been more comfortable with a pair of jeans over those...or something else. As soon as the sun came out though...I was fine.

Seward was rainy and overcast and chilly on debarkation day.

Traveling to Anchorage that day, Anchorage was sunny and warm.

Traveling back into the Kenai Peninsula...it was overcast and had been raining, but the weather was on the clear and we had some clouds and a lot sunshine. There could be rain that could be described as the sky was dripping. The weather was warm and lovely on the Peninsula.

We were back in Seward over the weekend as well. It was also warm and sunny there. The locals were calling the 75+ degree weather a heat wave and were wearing shorts and spaghetti strap tops.

I didn't think to do this until we hit Anchorage on Friday (debarkation day):

Saturday Kenai Peninsula (this was taken in the evening...the high was higher earlier in the day):

Sunday Kenai Peninsula:

Sunday Seward...again in the evening...it was much warmer earlier in the day (I don't know why the actual high of the 24 hour day goes away if you pass by it):

Monday Anchorage:
I was just thinking about you today!

So it sounds like you had very good weather and packed well.

Did you accomplish to do and see everything you were hoping too? How was the ship? And any and all other details please!!! Haha. We are about 13 days to go now so the excitement is really kicking in!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app
North Carolina
6,076 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Sounds like fun!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986
North Carolina
4,182 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
It was fun!! Rather exhausting in a way, but very, very fun.

I've been working on a Trip Report. I started well before we left...talking all about my process in planning our vacation. And now I'm writing the actual review portion of the report. Nessie, if you are interested:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2641355
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Washington
199 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Anita Latte
It was fun!! Rather exhausting in a way, but very, very fun.

I've been working on a Trip Report. I started well before we left...talking all about my process in planning our vacation. And now I'm writing the actual review portion of the report. Nessie, if you are interested:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2641355
Thanks for the link! Looks like I have a bit of reading to catch up on haha

North Carolina
4,182 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Nessie07
Thanks for the link! Looks like I have a bit of reading to catch up on haha

Please...only if you find it interesting! I do write a lot! LOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Washington
199 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Ok I'm back from my cruise today! Had a wonderful time and we ended up having weather in the 70's!!! Did not end up wearing any of my warmer clothing other than some Jeans and light zip up hoodie while on deck at night.

So what everyone says about layers and variety is true. You just never know what you will get. We actually ended up with a little tan because we got to spend so much time at the pool!

North Carolina
6,076 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Yippie! Glad you had such nice weather!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature