All Things EARTH... part 2

Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:06 AM.
2,600 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by Anita Latte

I, too, love the headshot of you and DH, with you behind him and arms around him. Such a good one.

Your bracelet is beautiful!

The thing that's coming across to me in your photos is how good you are feeling (I know you were dealing with shingles, but I mean in general)...I sense a feeling of accomplishment and happiness at your progress in health and fitness. THAT is what I'm seeing clearly. It's pretty fab to see...because you do look lovely, Laurie.
I agree with everything Anita says. You look wonderful. That lace dress is stunning on you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2017 Ruby Princess Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortez
2016 Windstar Costa Rica & Panama Canal
2015 Emerald Princess Western Caribbean
2014 Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean
2012 Dawn Princess Australia Solar Eclipse
2011 NG Islander Galapagos & Machu Picchu
2010 Windstar Costa Rica
2009 Victoria Prince Yangtze River Solar Eclipse
2006 Clipper Odyssey Vietnam
2004 Radisson Diamond Turkey & Greek Isles Transit of Venus
2002 Radisson Hanseatic Antarctica & South Georgia
2001 Windstar Virgin Islands
1999 Sky Princess Baltic Sea Solar Eclipse
1998 Radisson Paul Gauguin Tahiti
1996 Star Princess Alaska
Colorado Springs, CO (originally Boston MA)
4,743 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Not meant as a downer, we got the final pathology report today on DH. It was colon cancer, but they did get it all and no chemo or radiation. Upset, yes, but relieved as well. Melody
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S.S. Norway, March 17, 1995
Rest all Celebrity or Royal
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Constellation, Feb 22, 2006
Constellation, Feb 14, 2010
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Constellation, Mar 24, 2012
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Navigator of the Seas, Nov 30, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Nov 13, 2015
Celebrity Solstice, Apr 26, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Apr 23 & 30, 2017
Eclipse, November 26, 2017
Eclipse, September 22, 2019 (50th Anniversary Cruise)
Reflection, February 21, 2020 (Mardi Gras)
Reflection, March 2, 2020
Les & Melody
Western Kentucky
728 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Oh, my! Melody. No matter where it's located, no one wants to hear that C-word. So glad the story moving forward is a good one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
AOKnKentucky (Alan & Debbie)
Sovereign of the Seas - March, 2003; Miracle - April, 2004; Holiday - January, 2005; Enchantment of the Seas - June, 2008; Elation - January 2012; Miracle to Alaska - July 2013; Elation - January 2014; Serenade of the Seas - February 2016; Celebrity Eclipse - January 2017

4,743 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
He's very lucky. This is a guy that runs 3-5 miles a day & works out, very good shape. He's lost 22 lbs, I don't recommend the diet! Melody
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Les & Melody
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,515 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Melody, I'm glad to hear that your husband doesn't need chemo or radiation. All we can do is take care of ourselves the best we can. I had a colonoscopy at age 48 or something like that, because of family history. It's always good to be proactive.

I didn't mention it yesterday, but we did ot use the elevator once on our cruise. We decided it was a good way to get extra exercise. I really am trying hard to take care of myself, as is my husband.

I hope your husband continues his recovery speedily so that he is ready for your vacation.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Explorer of the Seas - August 2008
Explorer of the Seas - August 2009
Monarch of the Seas - May 2011
Freedom of the Seas - February 2013
Majesty of the Seas - November 2013
Freedom of the Seas - May 2014
Enchantment of the Seas - November 2014
Jewel of the Seas - May 2015
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2016
Allure of the Seas - June 2016
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2017
Adventure of the Seas - September 2017
Freedom of the Seas - April 2018
Florida
2,318 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Melody , I am sure the C word scared you but luckily he does not need chemo or radiation.Take Care . It is so hard dealing with the illnesses of our partners .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
38 cruises -Carnival , NCL, RCL, Celebrity ,Costa
4,743 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
I'm a 32 year cancer survivor - so this wasn't our first rodeo - but it's never fun
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Les & Melody
Western Kentucky
728 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Laurie, love your cruise pictures the lace dress looks fabulous on you! I need to tailor the ivory lace dress that I wore. It was too loose in the middle. Like you said earlier, rather than making me look smaller, it made me look sloppier than I intended.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
AOKnKentucky (Alan & Debbie)
Sovereign of the Seas - March, 2003; Miracle - April, 2004; Holiday - January, 2005; Enchantment of the Seas - June, 2008; Elation - January 2012; Miracle to Alaska - July 2013; Elation - January 2014; Serenade of the Seas - February 2016; Celebrity Eclipse - January 2017

Western Kentucky
728 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Me and my big mouth! I'm not sure my last comment came across as I intended. I've re-read it, and it appears I made the comment all about me when what I meant to do was compliment Laurie on how gorgeous her lace dress looked on HER! What I should have said and meant to say was:

Laurie, love your cruise pictures. You look fabulous in your lace dress!
2,600 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Melody, so glad to hear that the outcome was a good one as far as the C goes. Sending happy and healthy thoughts to you both for a quick recovery and no more scares like that.

I am having my first colonoscopy next month. I have been trying to prioritize my health during this breather with my parents, so I have lots of tests on the calendar in the next few weeks. I hadn't been to the doctor in 8 years. I am done sticking my head in the sand.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
2,600 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Laurie and Debbie, I really like you both in turquoise. It's interesting that you both posted pics in what seems to be the same color, and it looks so good on both of you. I am guessing that IRL there would be some nuanced difference? In any event, home run x2.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
4,625 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Melody,
Glad to hear that your DH's Big C was caught early and that he therefore doesn't need any invasive and aggressive treatment. Wishing you both the best going forward. My dad is a colon cancer survivor...he's 90! He wasn't as fortunate as your DH as he's been living with a colostomy bag for over 20 years. But he's alive and well and make me laugh so hard today!

Laurie,
You look amazing! I mean absolutely awesome in that lace dress and especially in the turquoise one. Turquoise is most definitely a great color on you. Loved the Christmas jewelry from your hubby. He looks great in all the picture too...a real cutie I'd say.

I agree with you that sometimes when you're on vacation...doing nothing is sometimes the best thing to do. It gives you time to mellow out from all of life's stresses so you can start the rest of your vacation in a relaxed mood.

By-the-way...I believe the bridge you cruised under is the world-famous Sunshine Skyway Bridge! I actually have been across it many times and remember as a kid (living in Tampa at the time) it being built. It was a really big deal.

Hope you have recovered from your shingles or are at least feeling better. If I had not known that you had them I would never be able to tell from your pictures. You look so happy and relaxed in them. You have a great attitude about life and that probably helped you a lot.

Just want to say it again, you and the hubby looked amazing in your pictures. What a lovely couple you make!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,515 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Thank you, everyone! I really did have a great time. It seems like I am always working on something when I'm home. Even when I relax, I find it temporary...I'm even thinking ahead to what I have to do next. When I'm on vacation, I really put things aside. I read for as long as I wanted, I had a drink or two. I ate what I wanted. And I am really feeling good these days.

Those darned shingles are more distracting now than they were last week! But they will go away.

I do think the turquoise dress works. I think it has a bit of a muted sense to it, and it would be perfect if it were more muted. But it does work out well. I was debating on the orange dress too. I wish I had a professional picture of it, so you could all the see the fabric.

So where was I?

Day 4?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,515 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Today we were to go to Grand Cayman, and we planned an excursion with Captain Marvin to swim with the stingrays. We've done this before, and it was such a great excursion, we couldn't wait to do it again.

The thing is, the water was a bit choppy, and we were wondering if we would be able to tender. Then the captain made an announcement that a storm was coming, and that Grand Cayman had closed the port. We could see some very ominous clouds but the captain steered clear of them so all was good. We played trivia, took a napkin folding class and watched a towel folding demonstration. It sounds boring, but it was fun.

I wore a very comfortable and fun dress tonight. I don't think the pictures were the best, and this is one of those deals were the pose makes the difference.

My husband, by the way, brought along a suit, two pairs of dress pants, a sports coat, a few different shirts and ties. He really enjoys dressing nice. I really want to share this picture, because I think it is a really nice picture of him. He is an air. He looks really nice in this black jacket, but blue sets him off best.

I'm going to have to scan a picture of him individually, while wearing the gray blue suit. It brings out the blue in his eyes so well.

The last day was a sea day. We watched a cake decorating contest between the head chef, the cruise director and a passenger. It was very funny. I really wish I had gotten pictures.

This was the one daytime outfit I liked. I think the rust shirt is a really nice color.

We wandered around as well, and had a little fun.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,515 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We went looking for the Viking Crown Lounge. That's deck 13, I think. That was a lot of stairs, lol. We found something called Star Quest instead. The exterior was mirror, with the diamond like gemstones on it. It was very pretty.

Looking back, I think this was actually the day before. But we ended up with two sea days in a row, so we did a lot of wandering around.

These are definitely from the last sea day:

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,515 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Being our last night, I wanted to wear my most casual dress. I have been thinking about the styling a lot, and I'm going to work diligently on finding and trying certain styles on more often. I loved that this dress was loose and comfortable, without feeling sloppy at all.

Before that though, we had a great photo op:

I know I mentioned this when I purchased the dress, but that isn't black, but a deep brown. The olive type color they refer to as duffle, and it matches the solid dress from the night before perfectly. (they were both Michael Kors clearance items I found)

We had one more bit of fun waiting for us at the end of the day. I wasn't expecting this, so I jumped at first when opening the door.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

2,600 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Laurie + snakeskin dress = gorgeous!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
Western Kentucky
728 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by MJC
Laurie + snakeskin dress = gorgeous!
Totally agree with Margaret. Laurie, you look gorgeous in that snakeskin dress!

Laurie, is the bottom with the rust top a skirt or a skort? I have a khaki skort that looks very similar and it was my favorite casual bottom of my cruise. Mine looks like a skirt from the front and the back, but has attached shorts. I'm not sure if it's because of the A-line shape or because I feel spiffier in a skirt, but think it's a better look than shorts for me. I'm much larger than you since you've become so fit, but I think our shapes are similar. I'm getting such good advice from your posted pictures about shapes I should consider. Thank you!
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,515 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
That is a skort. My daughter works at an Eddie Bauer outlet store, so I get great deals with her discount or when things go on sale. They have skorts in what the call Travex fabric. It doesn't wrinkle much, it's light weight, and dries really fast. That skort is big in the waist right now, but they don't currently have that color. And I really want another one in that color!!!!

I'm trying to be opened minded about different styles. For example, I was asking her if the store had any new skorts in, and she said yes but they weren't earthy colors. I will wear some shorts and skorts in non earth colors, but I make sure I like how they pair up with an earthy top.

So yesterday, she walks in and says I picked up two things for you to try. If you don't like them, I can return them. If you do like them, then you owe me $50.00.

Lol!

The first item was a navy skort, but it was shorter and a bit more fitted than the one I wore on my cruise. It's still an a-line, and it has a small cargo pocket also. It has a really nice look to it.

The second item were pull on pants (I only wear those to the gym!) in the Travex fabric in a great olive green, with some gathering at the ankle. I decided I didn't like them before I even put them on, but since I try to be opened minded, I put them on and looked in the mirror. They're different, but I can see how they would work with certain things, so I'm going to give them a try. I can see myself pairing them with the jersey knit shirt I wore in Cozumel, and maybe a small wedge gladiator sandal. I'm going to try them on together to see if it works.

I LOVE skorts. You can really create a pulled together, nice looking casual outfit when you use them.

I didn't think I'd like the snake print either, because I don't like snakes. But I love that dress. My theory now is, try it. Just make sure you can return something you don't like.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

4,743 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Laurie, love the snakeskin dress. Your husband has a great twinkle in his eye, doesn't he...

In looking at your snakeskin dress, It reminded me of an animal print maxi dress that I haven't worn in a long time, it may transition it's way to the cruise closet!I also adore skorts. Athleta has my favorites as they have zippered pockets, my khaki one should be delivered tomorrow! Melody
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Les & Melody