New England/Canada Cruise

GolfGuy1948

We are taking a Celebrity Cruise to New England/Canada on September 9th - 23rd. We are looking for things to do within walking distance of the cruise ship port in Bar Harbor Maine, Saguenay Quebec, and Sydney Nova Scotia. Any recommendations?

For Bar Harbor which is a tender port there isn't much to do in walking distance from the tender dock. You could walk the town which is a quintessential New England small town. Also, you could walk the Shore Path and the walk to Bar Island.

IMHO, no visit to Bar Harbor is complete unless you do a tour of Acadia National Park. There are 2 independent tour companies available. Both Oli's Trolley and Acadia National Park Tours have excellent ratings and depart near the tender dock

SBtS.

The No. 1 thing that we have always done on our visit is to go to one of the seafood restaurant have a Lobster Roll or a Fresh Lobster prepared to your likely with drawn butter.

We have never really never tasted Lobster so sweet like the lobster in Bar Harbor. I wish I could live in Bar Harbor and enjoy it as often as I could. Really no kidding.

Also purchases fresh blueberry products that Maine and Bar Harbor are noted for. Jam, Jellies, Syrups are really great.

We love Bar Harbor and all it offers and still keeps it quaint atmosphere...

We did B2B Canada/New England cruises last fall (slightly different itineraries) on the Celebrity Summit. We missed Saguenay due to speed reductions due to whale migration.

We had been to Sydney before and on that trip went to the Fortress of Louisbourg. For those not interested in such a day trip, both the Cosset House Museum and Jost Heritage House are within walking distance of the cruise terminal. There will also be a craft fair inside the cruise terminal.

In Bar Harbor we have taken an excellent tour of Acadia National Park on Olli's Trolley. They offer different tour lengths. For those who want to stay within the town itself there is a "Museum in the Streets." Their visitors bureau offers brochures and a map but it is a self-guided tour along some of the historic properties. While they are now private properties there are sign boards along the street.

We were also in Bar Harbor twice earlier this summer on another B2B set of cruises. This time we found a wonderful restaurant -- 59 Cottage -- which is located at 59 Cottage Street. They are about a half a block off the main tourist area. Wonderful food with an interesting selection of seasonal cocktails. I enjoyed a blueberry sangria.

Here is information about Halifax and Sydney which may be useful to you:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BjAtDscML-9Ce3VWUUsOrsVhPL7KIxb7Go_9SRi82dE/edit Halifax

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SHnC1bdaKtBLTr9bcJShb3a0escYZQKLWkZF4seT14I/edit Sydney

Edited by maryann ns

Thank you. Wow what a priceless resource for visitors to Halifax and Sydney.

I will be visiting on 8/10.

Prior to Halifax, the ship will be visiting Louisberg, Cape Breton. Is Fortress of Louisberg National Historic Site the main attraction there?

Edited by MMDown Under

If your port is actually Louisbourg and not Sydney (and being on the Fram it likely is), then yes Fortress Louisboug is the main attraction and because that is shoulder season you should consider taking the ship's tour as I read the Fortress has guides for these.

If your port is actually Louisbourg and not Sydney (and being on the Fram it likely is), then yes Fortress Louisboug is the main attraction and because that is shoulder season you should consider taking the ship's tour as I read the Fortress has guides for these.

Thank you. That is one of the ports I have decided to do a ship's tour, assuming places will be available.

Might there be some fall foliage still showing at that time of year?

Date English version - 8th October.

Since there is a Gold Coast in Australia and we have been to Australia four times I suspected you were using the Australian date format of day/month/year. Yes, for a New England/Canada cruise in early October you should be able to see some of the spectacular foliage, but just understand that weather has been strange in North America. The former expectations for what to expect seem to be changing.

Since there is a Gold Coast in Australia and we have been to Australia four times I suspected you were using the Australian date format of day/month/year. Yes, for a New England/Canada cruise in early October you should be able to see some of the spectacular foliage, but just understand that weather has been strange in North America. The former expectations for what to expect seem to be changing.

Thank you. My cruise starts in Greenland on 22/9, so we should get some fall foliage further north, but I have fond memories of spectacular fall foliage in New England, so was hoping we may experience it there also. I do understand the weather has been unusual in the US this year, which could affect the timing of the fall foliage.

I was having a hard time finding something to do in Bar Harbor. I thought I had found a boat tour that would show us lighthouses and the park, but it doesn’t run when we are there. While looking at other boat tours I found a different way to see everything. My husband and I are going to see Bar Harbor from the air! I’m sure this would be a great way to see all the fall colors as well!

Sent from my iPad using Forums