Currency for Martinique and Guadaloupe?

We used euros in both Martinique and Guadeloupe

I agree, they are very much French territories, and, as a result benefit from a lot of investment by France.

The euro is their currency, but you can use dollars in some places although the exchange is poor.

I assume that use Euros at both Martinque or Guadaloupe, but do you need to get some or will they take US Dollars?

Keith (Southend)

Agreed with all the comments. One thing to look out for is your mobile phone - you can use your EU data roaming allowance there. We were there in November on the TA crossing with Discovery.

Agreed with all the comments. One thing to look out for is your mobile phone - you can use your EU data roaming allowance there. We were there in November on the TA crossing with Discovery.

Never thought of that, thanks.

Yes, I checked with my Three account and I can use my Data allowance at: Martinique, Guadaloupe, Sint Martin, US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico, I think that's all?

**Always remember to turn data roaming off once the ship leaves the port**

Keith (Southend)

They are overseas departments and have full status as part of France - much like Hawaii and Alaska being part of the USA.

The Euro is the standard currency - therefore I'm led to believe the locals are not so keen on US Dollars.

Incidentally a few years ago I discovered there is a small part of North America still under French authority with the Euro as the official currency -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

Yes, I checked with my Three account and I can use my Data allowance at: Martinique, Guadaloupe, Sint Martin, US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico, I think that's all?

Keith (Southend)

Strangely enough our Vodafone & EE doesn't seem to include St Maartin or USVI or PR.

Keith looked at your link and further down the page it explains Go roam around Europe and Go Roam around the World and explains the charges etc

Lynda

I think the charges are if you go over your limit. I used my mobile this summer while on a cruise in Iceland, and no hidden charges came up, I was looking at weather data as some of their coaches had internet. Quite often you just connect to WiFi while you're out and about.

Keith (Southend)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi;

did the Seven Isles cruise from 10/12/17 which went to both Guadaloupe and Martinique and I suggested to other forumites that they take euro!

May I now also suggest popping a few dollars into your purse as we went on a beach trip where sunbeds were either 10 euro or 10$; do the maths!

Slightly off topic, Pointe-a -Pietre looked pretty dire from the ship and Fort-de-France is like a british new-town, lots of industry and council flats.

We did the botanical gardens and beach at Deshaies in Guadaloupe (it's not the official "Death in Paradise" tour but you see enough!) tour via TUI and everyone enjoyed it.In Martinique we did the beach trip which was o.k. but other, braver people, negotiated tours in the port area!

Hi;

did the Seven Isles cruise from 10/12/17 which went to both Guadaloupe and Martinique and I suggested to other forumites that they take euro!

May I now also suggest popping a few dollars into your purse as we went on a beach trip where sunbeds were either 10 euro or 10$; do the maths!

Slightly off topic, Pointe-a -Pietre looked pretty dire from the ship and Fort-de-France is like a british new-town, lots of industry and council flats.

We did the botanical gardens and beach at Deshaies in Guadaloupe (it's not the official "Death in Paradise" tour but you see enough!) tour via TUI and everyone enjoyed it.In Martinique we did the beach trip which was o.k. but other, braver people, negotiated tours in the port area!

Excellent, that's the trip we've chosen, for the "Death in Paradise" views :) Thanks for the tips. We're off on Saturday..

Keith (Southend)

Keith (Southend)

Make sure you get a message saying you can when you arrive in port before turning your roaming back on. We got a confirming message in

Guadaloupe but not in Martinique- ended up costing us a fortune for using data there.