Zika worries

MarcsSharon

While the dangers to a pregnant woman and her baby cannot be understated, Zika is pretty much a non-event for everyone else. Only one in five people exposed to the virus contract Zika, and most who do experience symptoms that can easily be passed off as a common cold, and are gone in 5 days or so. So unless one is pregnant or plans to become pregnant, Zika is actually less of a concern than most other things that someone can catch in Central/South America and the Caribbean. If we were expecting or trying to conceive, I wouldn't risk a trip to high risk areas right now. But we are not, so our trip in November is a "go". Also, mosquitos don't do well in windy areas. So being on the water or near the shore, you aren't terribly vulnerable. I have taken many Caribbean cruises and many land-based vacations to the U.S./British Virgin Islands and I honestly cannot recall mosquitos being a problem while on or near the water. If I were going inland to a ziplining adventure or Mayan archeological site, I would try to wear long sleeves and apply DEET.

From the CDC web site....it's not totally benign in non-pregnant people.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Most people infected with Zika virus are asymptomatic. Characteristic clinical findings are acute onset of fever with maculopapular rash, arthralgia, or conjunctivitis. Other commonly reported symptoms include myalgia and headache. Clinical illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon and case fatality is low. However, there have been cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome reported in patients following suspected Zika virus infection.

...it's not totally benign in non-pregnant people.

No, it's not totally benign. But no tropical disease is. Zika is no better and no worse than any other tropical mosquito-borne illness that everyone has risked for centuries when they travel to the Caribbean or Central/South America. Words like "asymptomatic" and "mild" (in non-pregnancy scenarios) place this lower than (or nor worse than) Chikungunya.

We are not scheduled to cruise the Caribbean until November - but I gotta say the Zika virus has me a bit concerned. Anyone else getting 2nd thoughts about cruising?

Same concerns over and over and it's no concern at all.

From the CDC web site....it's not totally benign in non-pregnant people.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Most people infected with Zika virus are asymptomatic. Characteristic clinical findings are acute onset of fever with maculopapular rash' date=' arthralgia, or conjunctivitis. Other commonly reported symptoms include myalgia and headache. Clinical illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon and case fatality is low. However, there have been cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome reported in patients following suspected Zika virus infection.[/quote']

Indeed ... only take advice from the CDC and/or your physician -- and not just anyone's opinion on this site. It doesn't ONLY affect women in their childbearing years. This advice is outdated.

We were worried about our Caribbean / Canal cruise but did our research and took all precautions. While we did see quite a few mosquitoes, we weren't bitten due to our abundance of caution in clothing and insect repellents (both for our skin and clothing). But the decision was ours after our due diligence and informing ourselves of the risks.

Avoid using any product with fragrance and if you plan on a jungle hike, wear long sleeves and pants. You can buy clothing that's insect repellent or buy a spray to use on your clothing. I have an insect repellent buff/kerchief that I used in Africa and while others were bitten multiple times by tsetse flies (horrible things), I didn't get a single bite.

Where are you going to run? Zika-carrying mosquitoes are now in Florida.

Link? I live here and there have been no reports of someone contracting Zika from a mosquito bite that they got in state.

Edited by Swampbabe

Where are you going to run? Zika-carrying mosquitoes are now in Florida.

Cite your sources. I've seen no reports of this. While the species of mosquito that can carry the disease is endemic to the state, I've seen no report that they have found the disease in the mosquitoes in Florida.

While the dangers to a pregnant woman and her baby cannot be understated, Zika is pretty much a non-event for everyone else.

Sorry, but this may be not so. Some male (yes, men) athletes are cancelling their Olympic appearance in August, fearing the virus. They don't get sick, but if they want to have a baby, the virus can be transmitted even if they feel healthy.

Go to the website: Center of Disease Control to read about Zika and also EPA for a list of approved repellents. David Muir, World News Tonight; 7/20/16 Zika in Florida conversation. I'm watching too.

Edited by cleagle

Everyone panic! This virus like West Nile virus in rare cases can kill you. Most people who have the virus don't even know they have it. In 1999 the first case of WNV hit the U.S. And every year my city (NYC) sends sprayers on trucks and helicopters to fight the mosquitoes . Its one of those things you deal with. I use Deet, have to spray the yard and remove standing water. And I still get bit. Even if the mosquitoes are confied to the south (for now) they will spread. So what to do, not travel or move. Take the precautions the CDC recommends and travel or stay home. Me I'm going to cruise.

Thanks for supplying the source that you based your reply on. However, according to the article there is still no confirmation that the patient's Zika was locally acquired. They are still investigating, and as of yesterday, had still not found any mosquitoes in Florida that contained the virus. So your post was incorrect when you posted, and still is..

Of course it's only a matter of time before confirmed locally acquired cases occur. It will be interesting to see if at that time there is a mass exodus of all the women if child bearing years who live in Florida; and if the tourism industry will be bankrupt in months as the rest of the world avoids vacations there.

Edited by mom says