Using your phone with ship internet plan

mrmrscruiser

I put my phone into airplane mode and then connect to wifi. I use the Magic Jack App, and I can call home. I have a Magic Jack at home. I find that the connection on the ship (Summit) is good and I have no dropped calls. You can also use Whats App to make calls. The Magic Jack works good for me, and I can also text.

We have tried wifi calling and facetime while on the ship and it works, sort of. The connection are not great but not terrible either. As others have said, the Verizon Global package is for use when you are in port only. If you phone shows a cellular connection to Cellular at Sea that is the ship's own cell system and it is expensive and not part of the Verizon package. On the ship, airplane mode on and then go back and turn on your wifi is you have a wifi package.

If you are thinking of using only internet cafe wifi while on land, then you don't need the Verizon Global plan onboard, as I doubt that Verizon's signal will reach too far out to sea. The wifi perk is essentially the same thing that you would be using in a cafe. The one difference is that the bandwidth (how much information can go through your 'pipe') is likely better on land.

Anyonne with an recent experience with something like Facetime onboard?

I'm not sure exactly what the Verizon Global plan is, but it's likely an added charge to use there cell network overseas.

If you are thinking of using only internet cafe wifi while on land, then you don't need the Verizon Global plan onboard, as I doubt that Verizon's signal will reach too far out to sea. The wifi perk is essentially the same thing that you would be using in a cafe. The one difference is that the bandwidth (how much information can go through your 'pipe') is likely better on land.

Anyonne with an recent experience with something like Facetime onboard?

I'm not sure exactly what the Verizon Global plan is, but it's likely an added charge to use there cell network overseas.

We have Verizon WiFi calling. Worked fine on our So America Infinity cruise with complimentary WiFi for Elite passengers. Was great. Called home at no cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called my kids daily via messenger ....plus video calls....no dropped calls and video was perfect, even on the veranda . Video was so good on wifi that my husband even would use Netflix in the night while winding down without any issues.

iPhone 6 certainly supports WiFi calling - at least when ATT is the carrier. I have used it this way on several ships.

Put the phone in Airplane mode, and then turn Wifi back on. The status indicator that normally shows cell signal strength will say "WiFi" instead. Works perfectly with the upgraded internet systems on all Celebrity ships.