Owl flying behind Oriana

jeanlyon

I wonder if anyone else has ever seen this. We were on our way down the coast after Oporto, having breakfast outside the Conservatory on Oriana. I looked up and there was an owl flying behind the ship. Quite close and at least 6 of us saw it. I have no idea what sort of owl and why it was so far from land. Amazing.

Whatever he / she has a place to stay. Hope he / she landed and had a rest!

Must admit we love it when birds have a rest on the ship --- have seen many a happy pigeon hitching a ride!

We were on Oceana in April and for days we had flocks of the most beautiful birds on the ship -- have never seen that before. They were everywhere. It was like the ship was their little sanctuary and rest place on their migration. Some young ones nodding off as they were so worn out

Ahhhhh

We had two what looked like Swifts flying behind and landing on Britannia on the sea day coming back to Southampton from Bergen. I spoke to one of the waiters on the deck bar and he told me they are not allowed to feed or water the birds or assist them in any way as they would be 'told off' He went on by saying the birds would have to be reported to the environmental officer.

The two birds seemed more than happy to be there and were not resting for long on the ship and off they would go again. I saw them at 7am and they were still there in the evening. I hope they made it all the way to England but will never know.

I wonder if anyone else has ever seen this. We were on our way down the coast after Oporto, having breakfast outside the Conservatory on Oriana. I looked up and there was an owl flying behind the ship. Quite close and at least 6 of us saw it. I have no idea what sort of owl and why it was so far from land. Amazing.

Well strangely we saw an owl flying alongside the ship mid Atlantic a couple of years ago!!

We wondered if it belonged to a crew member or if it had just hitched a ride from Madeira!

Interesting! It quite made our day actually. We had other birds on board, but that is quite normal. Swifts, swallows, couple of pigeons.

We had a feathered friend with us on-board Oceana some years ago.

It stayed with us for several days if I recall.

We have also seen Swifts and Swallows on several occasions on other cruises.

4X6P1010184.thumb.JPG.fb0b90a484ae4b4b8c0d78233f21d688.JPG

4X6P1010187.thumb.JPG.d7b1c938f89bc3ea3dadd9a875d9c3c9.JPG

We had an Eagle join us as we left St Maarten, it sat on a railing outside at the back by a window and didn't bat an eyelid until the next day when it left at St Thomas, it used us as a lift! I have a picture of it somewhere.

We had an Eagle join us as we left St Maarten, it sat on a railing outside at the back by a window and didn't bat an eyelid until the next day when it left at St Thomas, it used us as a lift! I have a picture of it somewhere.

Actually those pictures were taken on-board Oceana in the Caribbean.