MSC Orchestra Eastern Mediterranean Live Trip Report

Love2Cruz2015

Thanks, they can be little menaces but we love them anyway..:D

We have 2 cats and I know what you mean when they wake you up at 3 in the morning and think it´s time to eat ;-) But when they lies on your lap purring your forget all about the other things ;-)

Love2Cruz2015

Do you remember how it worked with arrival and departure times?

Let's say Katakolon arrival is 12.00 and departure is 18.00 is it that you get in port at 12.00 or that you can get off the ship at 12.00 and does the ship leaves at 18.00 or is all onboard at 18.00??

Love2Cruz2015

Do you remember how it worked with arrival and departure times?

Let's say Katakolon arrival is 12.00 and departure is 18.00 is it that you get in port at 12.00 or that you can get off the ship at 12.00 and does the ship leaves at 18.00 or is all onboard at 18.00??

I don't remember precisely as we did a ship excursions...so didn't have to really rely on port times. (though I did screw up the only port times on a day that I didn't book an excursion)...but I think we met in a lounge at 11:30am and were walking off the ship by noon....I also think the return to ship time, on all ports were 30 minutes before it set sail...so I would lean towards getting back on the ship by 5:30 if it's a 6:00 departure.

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

Love2cruz: What an enjoyable read. Your food photos are making me hungry for some of those delicious MSC bread sticks! It looks like I would really like the Orchestra. In particular, I appreciate that the Orchestra has promenade not blocked by lifeboats (as this is one drawback for Divina). I'm absolutely certain you will LOVE DIVINA as much as you loved Orchestra.

I see you are now hooked on European cruises. Aren't they are wonderful!!! I travel across the pond at much as possible. My one piece of advice for you as you look at European cruises is to let the ports (and port times) be your deciding factor as opposed to cruise line. MSC has some great itineraries in Europe, but they also have some duds :(. If you can do a Barcelona to Rome cruise that should capture most of the popular Eastern Mediterranean Ports. I'd say the must see are:

1) Barcelona

2) Florence (we did a wine tour in Tuscany~ wow)

3) Rome (I didn't like Rome, but many do).

4) NAPLES with the almafi coast. Breathtaking, as is Pompeii.

If you can get an itinerary that captures these 4 you are doing well with your Eastern Med objective :).

Thanks again for taking the time to post such an extensive review :)

Except of course all those ports are in the Western Med. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Great Review Love2Cruz2015

Looking to hopefully book this trip sometime in 2018. Looks like the Orchestra and the Magnifica are going to go for a slight retrofit after this year. Not sure about that. Called MSC to ask and rep on the phone would not confirm that. Only said the 2017-18 itineraries aren't out yet.

I was really excited about your review but a bit disappointed that you did not explore Bari. This is the main port my GF and I want to explore as her Italian roots are from the area. Other than that great review. One question though.

Is the Exclusive Solarium(Deck 16) for suite passengers only or can anyone use it.

......... a bit disappointed that you did not explore Bari. This is the main port my GF and I want to explore as her Italian roots are from the area. One question though.

Is the Exclusive Solarium(Deck 16) for suite passengers only or can anyone use it.

I never understand people's attitude to visiting Bari - I found it a very interesting port. Maybe that's due to having a fantastic taxi driver who took us on a tour and was very passionate and informative which made our day very enjoyable.

In answer to your question: the exclusive solarium can be accessed for a fee - I believe there's a daily rate as well as a discounted one for the duration of the cruise. You can also pay a reduced rate if you just want to visit for the afternoon. I don't know the rates offhand and, personally, haven't used it to date (though looking forward to free access on an upcoming cruise :D)

Great Review Love2Cruz2015

Looking to hopefully book this trip sometime in 2018. Looks like the Orchestra and the Magnifica are going to go for a slight retrofit after this year. Not sure about that. Called MSC to ask and rep on the phone would not confirm that. Only said the 2017-18 itineraries aren't out yet.

I was really excited about your review but a bit disappointed that you did not explore Bari. This is the main port my GF and I want to explore as her Italian roots are from the area. Other than that great review. One question though.

Part of the reason we did not get off at that port is we were just exhausted and needed a day to just relax. After visiting Portugal and Venice and trying to cram a lot in 4 days, we needed a "sea day". Other than the caves, nothing really appealed to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never understand people's attitude to visiting Bari - I found it a very interesting port. Maybe that's due to having a fantastic taxi driver who took us on a tour and was very passionate and informative which made our day very enjoyable.

In answer to your question: the exclusive solarium can be accessed for a fee - I believe there's a daily rate as well as a discounted one for the duration of the cruise. You can also pay a reduced rate if you just want to visit for the afternoon. I don't know the rates offhand and, personally, haven't used it to date (though looking forward to free access on an upcoming cruise :D)

I am going to have to do a lot of research on Bari because I'm trying to make this a huge surprise. If it gets to much I will just have to tell her.

Thank You very much for your response. We are also thinking of my GF mother sailing with us but she needs a disabled room and we were hoping she could join us up there.

I just started reading and had to comment on your Venice pictures, they are absolutely amazing! They remind me of some I saw on the Disney Fantasy back in 2013. The photographer put them on sheet metal with a high gloss finish and I just loved them. They were selling for about $700 so I didn't buy any, but I recently found out Costco will finish your pics that way for way cheaper, you should look into it.

Loving the trip report and will finish reading it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just started reading and had to comment on your Venice pictures, they are absolutely amazing! They remind me of some I saw on the Disney Fantasy back in 2013. The photographer put them on sheet metal with a high gloss finish and I just loved them. They were selling for about $700 so I didn't buy any, but I recently found out Costco will finish your pics that way for way cheaper, you should look into it.

Loving the trip report and will finish reading it tomorrow.

I know what you are talking about, I saw them at the Portofino in Orlando and they were super expensive. I'll have to go through my Venice photos again and see if there is something I can frame...thanks for the idea...I also have a few beautiful photos from Santorini too!

Finished reading just now. Thanks so much for such a great review. I've never considered MSC but will certainly have them on the radar now. That ship was beautiful!

Do you happen to know, what is the main language spoken by the crew for the Caribbean sailings?

Finished reading just now. Thanks so much for such a great review. I've never considered MSC but will certainly have them on the radar now. That ship was beautiful!

Do you happen to know, what is the main language spoken by the crew for the Caribbean sailings?

I haven't done a Caribbean itinerary yet, but the posters here have said english, though some is broken..it's a similar crew nationality wise that you find on Carnival-from Thailand, India, Peru etc..multinational. In the Med, I found they spoke both English and Italian. The officers are Italian but also speak English.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a vivid review of your MSC cruise. I loved the generous use of photos to help your narrative.

Kudos!

Norris

L2C ................ Can you remember if the duty-free shop was open onboard? I ask because I see Kotor was on the itinerary.

While Montenegro is technically not an EU country, the currency is the Euro so I'm a little confused as to whether us EU citizens can avail of duty-free if travelling to Montenegro - the answer lies in whether the ship was allowed to sell duty-free or not, depending on it being regarded as staying in the EU zone.

L2C ................ Can you remember if the duty-free shop was open onboard? I ask because I see Kotor was on the itinerary.

While Montenegro is technically not an EU country, the currency is the Euro so I'm a little confused as to whether us EU citizens can avail of duty-free if travelling to Montenegro - the answer lies in whether the ship was allowed to sell duty-free or not, depending on it being regarded as staying in the EU zone.

Yes, it was open...and I bought some delicious European chocolates that were 50% off :D

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

Thanks for the responses J12 and L2C. Thats great news! :)

I've been watching out for Med cruises which qualify for duty-free accessibility. Since Tunisia and Turkey have been removed from itineraries, it's been a shrinking pool from which to choose cruises for me. DH is a smoker so we like to avail of the reduced prices for cigarettes which are terrific on MSC ships. Another plus is Kotor's currency is Euro so no currency exchange rate issues for me visiting that port.

Finally got to put that one in the books.

Loved the itinerary. Especially Kotor and Corfu. Wish we could have swapped Olympia for Mykonos.

FYI we were basically the only Americans out of over 2500 passengers.

Edited by blittydeuce

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the great review! Just wondering, are the cappuccinos free or up charge? Also do you happen to know if they have lego for kids on all the ships?

Thanks@

No they are not free, we paid for them with vouchers as we are not big drinkers, you can also buy a coffee booklet.

They had lego's on this ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk