Wind Star back in Barbados early - March 1, 2017?

Communik8r

Been watching MarineTraffic throughout the day and it is showing Wind Star moving in the direction of Bridgetown again two days early. Be interesting to see what LoserCruiser can tell us, did Wind Star go back early, or is Marine Traffic not so accurate. We are on that cruise on the 18th.

Now I'm concerned. anybody know why Wind Star went back to Barbados on Thursday (2 days earlier than the itinerary shows) 2 weeks in a row? Yesterday, it circled around a bit before docking.

Thursday is supposed to be our Beach BBQ and Friday on Bequia!

Edited by Communik8r

That area does seem to be prone to poor sailing conditions by Caribbean standards. We were disappointed with the choppy conditions on our cruise last month, but at least we made all the ports. It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever had calm seas on this itinerary.

We did this itinerary last year, the last week of January. I don't remember any issues with choppy seas and we made all our port stops. It was a little bumpy coming out of Bequia as a result of a short but strong rainstorm that kicked up the seas, a little, but we arrived in Barbados, as planned, on Saturday morning.

Here is a screen shot of the route.

WindStar%20%20route%203-9-2017_zpsz6x0o9ut.jpg

Could it be that they got to Barbados early because of the missed stop in Bequia and did "Real" sailing along Barbados's coast. Wind direction might suggest they did just that.

Unfortunately it wasn't just Bequia, it was the beach BBQ on Mayreau too that was missed on the last two cruises. I wonder what they did instead of that signature event. Still got my hopes up that the winds die down this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry for the delay in responding. Chose to not connect to the internet all week. Unfortunately seas were very very rough every single day. I've cruised many times and have never experienced a week like that. As noted above, we missed several ports and no signature event - nada, nothing. Thank goodness we had sunny weather. Those of us that didn't get sea sick were able to sit out on the deck (very windy though). We did get to spend half day in Bequia and the plan was to stay there all day Thursday too but seas were too rough and we headed back early. Staff were terrific.

Well it's good to know that this cruise isn't always bad weather - ours was just quite choppy the whole 7 days and we never got to use the Marina because of it. At least None of our ports were cancelled. The crew were as great as always - but I wouldn't blame them if they were getting just a bit fed up with it now! Let's hope this year is unusual and next year is better. I hope it improves for you, Communik8tr!

We have done this itinerary twice, both times in early February. The sailing back to Barbados was somewhat rough, but the first time in 2012 was worse. There were no other difficulties on the remainder of the itinerary. All ports visited and platform out when scheduled. On the second trip in 2014, while the stop in Mayreau was fine, our snorkeling trip was changed a little bit because of choppy waters.

Fortunately, neither Tom nor I get sea sick unless it is really, really rough. Maybe we were just lucky!

We arrived in Barbados late last night. About an hour to get thru immigration n customs. Water not too choppy. Windstar seems to be back on scheduled hitting all ports. Waves predicted to be about 2 meters. Keeping our fingers crossed!

We arrived in Barbados late last night. About an hour to get thru immigration n customs. Water not too choppy. Windstar seems to be back on scheduled hitting all ports. Waves predicted to be about 2 meters. Keeping our fingers crossed!

Keep us posted - we are on the next sailing after you >>>

Happy Sailing

Good luck - I'm truly puzzled as to the persistent bad weather. We did the same cruise in Feb this year and the crew said that the seas had been even worse in Jan. I thought this was supposed to be the best season? When we did the BVI's a few years ago the weather was perfect so - maybe it's just a Barbados thing.

But we still had a great time, and so will you!