Croatia

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Other Mediterranean Ports
Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:58 AM.
Romsey England
11,564 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Recently back from a week in Croatia, a road trip up the Dalmatian coast from Dubrovnik. Got as far as Rovinj.
Beautiful, mile after mile on the winding coast just like California's Hwy One except the view is across to islands rather than empty sea.

Perfectly safe & clean, and attractive - tho time limited our visit to within about 40 miles of the Adriatic coast.

Not a wide choice of hotels, but lots of independently-run apartments and B&Bs - anywhere from just the one to half-a-dozen, usually attached to the owner's house and all run by friendly & helpful folk with pride in their hospitality.

Found the prices - from accommodation and car rental thro food to beers and ice-creams - broadly in line with the US. Inexpensive in most places, expensive in touristy places like Dubrovnik and Split.

BTW, Hank, do check whether you can take an Italian rental car to places like Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro.
I've been told that most rental agencies in Italy won't allow it.
And it's expensive to take a Croatian rental car into neighbouring countries, other than the 5 or 6 miles of Bosnia's coastline on Hwy 8 which links the two halves of Croatia.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
London, England
3,505 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
JB

When we hired our car in Slovenia they asked if we wanted to take it cross border. We didn't, but took the papers anyway. We had the same experience when we hired our car in Dubrovnik airport hat time we were having a holiday in Montenegro, so wanted to take the car cross border.
We didn't pay any extra charges. In Slovenia we hired with ATET and in Croatia with Sixt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
New Cumberland,PA, USA
28,057 Posts
Joined May 2000
Hi JB,
Wanted to know we saw your post and appreciate the "heads up" about coming across the border. You are right that a long driving trip into both Croatia and Montenegro is on our "to do" list. But suddenly DW wants to go back to Asia...so this will be a priority for us next spring (flying to Singapore and cruising back to the USA). Not sure when we will get back to Croatia...although anything could happen...last minute. By the way, just had visitors (for a few days) from Seaford (near Brighton)....so we are keeping up relations with the "Brits." Will be off to Iceland, Greenland, and Norway in a few weeks...where its nice and cool.

Hank
12,059 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We enjoyed Croatia. We found it very safe. We crossed by ferry from Ancona and then hopscotched our way down the coast via the Jhardelina (sp) ferry system. Crossed back to Dubrovnik to Bari. Stayed in B&B's, rented cars occasionally.

Liked it so much that we want to return but this time fly into Zagreb, rent a car and tour through to Slovenia. High on our bucket list.
London, England
3,505 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
We have had land holidays in Croatia, Montenegro and Slovenia. We think Slovenia just has the edge. Nicer food, friendlier people and cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
USA
4,462 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
We would certainly have no hesitation in spending time in Croatia. We have spent time in Dubrovnik, Zadar and Split and loved it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite
2013-2017, 271 nights at sea and counting

Queen Elizabeth January 2019 (16 nights) Southampton to Cape Town
RC Explorer Of The Seas April 2019 (23 nights) Sydney to Seattle (Ovation??)

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
Cavtat, Croatia
1,604 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Been living here in the Dubrovnik area for the past 10 years. I find it to be a good choice for me, some may not. Very low crime rate, good weather and a clean and safe sea for swimming, note that our fresh seafood is some of the best in Europe. I can afford to live nicely here, if I returned to the USA I would be probably be homeless. Not by choice but by my limited income. Other than poor drivers here, I love it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
5,560 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Dubrovniktravelady
Been living here in the Dubrovnik area for the past 10 years. I find it to be a good choice for me, some may not. Very low crime rate, good weather and a clean and safe sea for swimming, note that our fresh seafood is some of the best in Europe. I can afford to live nicely here, if I returned to the USA I would be probably be homeless. Not by choice but by my limited income. Other than poor drivers here, I love it.
Eeeeek! Poor drivers? 😱 Do I need to worry about a private excursion with a driver? Your village is one we'll be visiting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
09-01-2012 Azamara Journey French & Italian Riviera
09-03-2013 Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Med & Greek Isles
09-20-2014 Azamara Journey Tuscany & Amalfi Coast
09-27-2014 Azamara Journey Sicily & Malta
06-21-2015 Celebrity Summit Bermuda
10-04-2015 Celebrity Summit New England/Canada
05-09-2016 Celebrity Equinox France Italy Film cruise
09-25-2016 Celebrity Infinity Pacific Coastal Vancouver to San Francisco
12-01-16 Azamara Quest Costa Rica, Canal and ABC Islands
06-02-17 Celebrity Millennium Alaska Southern Glacier cruise

Cavtat, Croatia
1,604 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
There are poor drivers all over the world, we have our fair share. Dubrovnik is not a village, a very large town or small city. Our tours drivers are some of the best, they drive the roads daily and often many times a day. There is no need to be concerned about your excursion at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Romsey England
11,564 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Mgugs46
Will they accept Euros to gain access to walk on the wall?

Definitely not.
But they do accept credit cards as well as kuna.

Many other places accept euros.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
Canada
999 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Thanks for all the information. I have been thinking of driving in this area, but wasn't sure best way to do it. I knew we couldn't take a car from Italy, so a bus or ferry or fly in. Slovenia and Istria are high on my list. We have visited Dubrovnik several times on cruises and found it pretty but too touristy and expensive compared to Split. I also was deliberately shortchanged by a transit official so that colours my feeling.

I also would highly recommend Portugal, it was better than I expected. Great food, incredible scenery and nice people. The pousadas are amazing government run hotels in beautiful palaces. Well worth two or three weeks of time. Very good roads.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Noordam, Northbound Alaska 2017
Queen Victoria, Mediterranean 2016
Royal Princess, Southern Caribbean 2015
Rotterdam, Norway, 2013
Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern and Western Med, 2012
Nieuw Amsterdam, Western Caribbean, 2011
Ruby Princess, Southern Caribbean, 2010
Emerald Princess, Baltic & Berlin, 2009
Noordam, Western & Eastern Mediterranean 2008
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean, 2006
Grand Princess, Greek Isles, 2005
Grand Princess, Baltic & Oslo, 2004
Norwegian Wind, Alaska, 2001
132 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Of course, you can only get Croatian Kuna from our ATM machines. It is the legal currency of the country.
Thank you. Can you tell me how much I'd need for the wall access and a decent lunch for 2? Roughly of course.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cavtat, Croatia
1,604 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
The entrance fee for the wall is 150 Kuna, per person. You can pay with credit or debit card, no problem and NO foreign currency. As for lunch, depends on the restaurant, most of them will accept credit cards. we do have some small sandwich shops, they of course do not take credit cards. A pizza will run from 60 to 120 Kuna, depending on size and ingredients. A sandwich can run from 40 to 100 Kuna, again depends on what you choose to add. Most restaurants will have a menu with prices available for viewing. Stay off the main promenade when picking a place to eat, you will find better meals and deals on the side streets.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
5,560 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
The entrance fee for the wall is 150 Kuna, per person. You can pay with credit or debit card, no problem and NO foreign currency. As for lunch, depends on the restaurant, most of them will accept credit cards. we do have some small sandwich shops, they of course do not take credit cards. A pizza will run from 60 to 120 Kuna, depending on size and ingredients. A sandwich can run from 40 to 100 Kuna, again depends on what you choose to add. Most restaurants will have a menu with prices available for viewing. Stay off the main promenade when picking a place to eat, you will find better meals and deals on the side streets.

Can you recommend a few that you think are really good and possibly what street they are on?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
09-01-2012 Azamara Journey French & Italian Riviera
09-03-2013 Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Med & Greek Isles
09-20-2014 Azamara Journey Tuscany & Amalfi Coast
09-27-2014 Azamara Journey Sicily & Malta
06-21-2015 Celebrity Summit Bermuda
10-04-2015 Celebrity Summit New England/Canada
05-09-2016 Celebrity Equinox France Italy Film cruise
09-25-2016 Celebrity Infinity Pacific Coastal Vancouver to San Francisco
12-01-16 Azamara Quest Costa Rica, Canal and ABC Islands
06-02-17 Celebrity Millennium Alaska Southern Glacier cruise

Cavtat, Croatia
1,604 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by midwestchick
Can you recommend a few that you think are really good and possibly what street they are on?

Sorry but since I am a local resident the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to recommend any specific restaurants. That being said I will state that you will find many of the menus very similar, prices almost the same and the nicer the view, the more food costs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature