Best transportation from Fort Lauderdale to Miami Port please

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:50 AM.
Worcester, PA
2,145 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by foodsvcmgr
Had great service two weeks ago with Larry’s Limo, $85 and wound up with a private stretch limo.
Agree that Larry's Limos are a good choice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean Diamond+ and Celebrity Elite

Summit Sept 2017 Canada & New England
Constellation June 2017 Adriatic, Croatia & Italy
Silhouette January 2017 W.Caribbean
Anthem December 2016 E.Caribbean
Infinity April 2016 Panama Canal
Reflection November 2015 W.Caribbean
Brilliance July 2015 Baltics
Freedom November 2014 W.Caribbean
Grandeur August 2014 Bermuda

Independence November 2013 E.Caribbean
Allure October 2012 E.Caribbean
Millennium July 2010 Alaska
Independence March 2010 E.Caribbean
Serenade January 2009 S.Caribbean
Freedom March 2008 E.Caribbean
Explorer March 2007 W.Caribbean
Navigator March 2006 E.Caribbean
Brilliance October 2005 Europe/Med
Adventure April 2004 S.Caribbean
Voyager April 2001 W.Caribbean

Upcoming cruises:
Solstice March 05, 2018 Aus & NZ; Harmony Nov 3, 2018, W.Caribbean; Edge Jan 20, 2019 W. Caribbean
Long Island, New York
4,677 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by MartinsCruise
We used SAS both ways in October and had no complaints. One thing I never thought about until we were in Monday morning traffic is that SAS pays the extra fees to use the express lane so we were able to get there much faster than if we had used Uber who may not pay the higher fee.
Question: is Express lane different from the HOV lane? Our driver also used the Express Lane but we had 4 people in the car so I assumed it was the same as our HOV, where there must be minimum of 2 people in the vehicle...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Greek Islands and Turkey, Louis Perla, October, 2006
Castles on Rhine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2008
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016
Canada-New England, Celebrity Summit, Oct 2016
Caribbean, RCI Grandeur of the Seas, Jan, 2017
Scandinavia-Russia, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
Norway Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Southern Caribbean, March, 2018, Celebrity Eclipse
British Isles, August, 2018, Celebrity Eclipse
Chicago suburbs
5,291 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
We have used Uber with good results. Only caveat is that if you use them when disembarking (not an issue for the OP) they will use surge pricing so you will pay more. Still more convenient and timely than a shuttle, and cheaper than a taxi.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Richmond, VA
7 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
When I look up SAS Transportation online their website says they don't service Miami only Ft. Lauderdale. We need to arrange multi point transfers, FLL to South Beach hotel for 1 night, from South Beach hotel to Miami port and then from Miami port to FLL. We've considered Uber but open to other options. We had a great experience last time with a company several years ago, but I can't recall the name and also there were 4 of us, so I'm not sure if it would be beneficial. Advice??
Pennsylvania
2,564 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by Hydrokitty
Question: is Express lane different from the HOV lane? Our driver also used the Express Lane but we had 4 people in the car so I assumed it was the same as our HOV, where there must be minimum of 2 people in the vehicle...
I thought the driver only needed to pay a higher fee but I could be wrong. There are flexiblle lane dividers to seperate the two areas which could be driven over but if caught, the driver is fined for every one he runs over. Seeing the traffic backed up in the regular lanes was enough for me to make sure we avoid it in the future.
Central Ohio
3,414 Posts
Joined May 2002
Originally posted by hevnsprncs
When I look up SAS Transportation online their website says they don't service Miami only Ft. Lauderdale. We need to arrange multi point transfers, FLL to South Beach hotel for 1 night, from South Beach hotel to Miami port and then from Miami port to FLL. We've considered Uber but open to other options. We had a great experience last time with a company several years ago, but I can't recall the name and also there were 4 of us, so I'm not sure if it would be beneficial. Advice??
The only service SAS could not provide is transportation from your Miami hotel to the Port of Miami. Uber might be your best choice there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

New Port Richey, FL
237 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
While more costly($30 each), we're using Celebrity's own shuttle from FLL to the port...just easier and far less hassle and deducted from our TA provided OBC.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Sailed:
Freedom of the Seas - November 2014
Brilliance of the Seas April 2014
Solstice 12/18-12/26/2011
Equinox 12/17-12/27/2010
RCI Mariner of the Seas 2003
RCI Voyager of the Seas 2001
RCI Explorer of the Seas 2000
Grand Princess 1999
RCI Monarch of the Seas 1998
708 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
SAS is fine (30 for a couple as stated) and we used them for years with no issues (alternative to the 80 dollar plus cab rides.
We now use Uber. The convenience of a dedicated driver leaving when you want to is well worth the 38 bucks or so for the ride.
We have never waited more than 10 minutes for a car even at port when arriving. I do not recall any 'surge pricing' coming or going.
Again SAS was (is) fine but if I can have my own car instead of waiting for a van of 11 people making unknown stops I will gladly pay the extra few bucks. JMHO
Connecticut
171 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Keith1010
Uber would be good.

If you want a private car where you can make the arrangements ahead of time try Larry's Limo at http://www.larryslimo.com

Keith
Agree with Keith with the Larry’s Limo suggestion..dependable and reasonably priced ..have used many times and always 100% satisfied

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer of the Seas 2011 Bermuda
Brilliance of the Seas 2012 Repositioning Southern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2013 Caribbean Thanksgiving
Norwegian Breakaway Haven 2014 Bahamas Caribbean Thanksgiving
Norwegian Jewel Haven August 2015 Alaska
Norwegian Escape Haven June 2016 Bahamas Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway Haven November 2017 Western Caribbean
Utah
6,784 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by 2theship
The only service SAS could not provide is transportation from your Miami hotel to the Port of Miami. Uber might be your best choice there.
Agree.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2018 Cruise:

March 2018 Cruise:

September 2018

March 2019 Cruise:

March 2019 Cruise:
708 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by davekathy
Agree.
We used to use SAS from FLL to downtown Miami hotels the night before our cruises but they did add restrictions on how late this trip could be made (believe they stopped service after 4 or 5 PM). Just something to keep in mind.
SAS is such a solid business, I would like to patronize them but Uber X with current pricing just makes lSAS) less viable.
Utah
6,784 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by chisoxfan
We used to use SAS from FLL to downtown Miami hotels the night before our cruises but they did add restrictions on how late this trip could be made (believe they stopped service after 4 or 5 PM). Just something to keep in mind.
SAS is such a solid business, I would like to patronize them but Uber X with current pricing just makes lSAS) less viable.
That's because your trip originated from FLL. SAS will not drive from FLL, pick you up at a Miami hotel and then take you to the POM.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2018 Cruise:

March 2018 Cruise:

September 2018

March 2019 Cruise:

March 2019 Cruise:
N E England
6,099 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
We used SAS last Sunday from POM to FLL. We have used them before with no problem, however this time I felt they had stretched resources to the limit with all the drivers flat out and waits of over an hour for pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
995 Posts
Joined May 2009
We are looking at sas, do they ring you up or email confirmation they will pick you up?
Tge Web site does not seem to have an email address.

How does uber work, do you pre book or do it on the day just before you need them?, how do you get a price?

I asume I need to regiter an account, hiw is the driver paid?
708 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by davekathy
That's because your trip originated from FLL. SAS will not drive from FLL, pick you up at a Miami hotel and then take you to the POM.
That is understood and not what we did. We used SAS from FLL to Miami hotel the night before our cruise and took a cab to the POM the next day. Oftentimes we would be the only couple driven to Miami in these previous evening trips. To SAS' credit they never shirked from these trips which could not have been profitable. However, SAS (understandably) started to enforce an earlier cut off time for this (FLL to Miami hotel evening run) and it was no longer convenient for us to use them because our flights came in later than the cut off.
California
5 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
[quote=PromoLaine;54538454]Heading out on the Equinox on December 30 and flying into Fort Lauderdale. Any ideas on transportation to the port of Miami? We arrive at around 8:30 in the morning so have plenty of time. Looking for an idea on cost as well. Also - once we return we need to rent a car to make the drive back to Jacksonville. Flights that day are limited and we need to be back to Jacksonville for an event that Saturday. What car rental agencies are available in the Port itself. Thanks so much for your feedback my friends!

Regards,
Elaine[/quote

Uber and Lyft are about $45-50 from FLL to the Miami port. If you need a larger vehicle UberX and Lyft Plus will run about $90.
North Texas
71 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Thanks for all the excellent feedback on transportation. I'm looking for transportation from the Port of Miami to Port Everglades. When we arrive in Miami we are going out again same day from Port Everglades. Does anyone know if SAS or Jiffy Jeff will do this?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruth & John

Past cruises:
RCCL Song of America Sept 1989
RCCL Adventure of the Seas Sept 2004
RCCL Adventure of the Seas Sept 2007
RCCL Mariner of the Seas Oct 2008
Carnival Victory June 2009
Carnival Fascination Oct 2009
RCCL Jewel of the Seas April 2010
RCCL Serenade of the Seas Oct 2010