What currency is required for Panama Canal cruise?

Imagineer

Wondering what different currencies are used in the various ports that we will be stopping at, I know the US dollar is considered a "universally accepted currency", but my son spent several months in Central America and says its the Colon in Costa Rica, the Cordoba in Nicaragua and the Quetzal in Guatamala. Are there any seasoned travelers here with experience in these countries who can give some advice?

Thanks, and cheers :)

Imagineer

Have been to all these ports more than once on cruises and never had any problems using US$. The locals try to make life easier for cruise passengers who are there for a day or maybe 2. Remember to bring lower denominations as makes it easier for the vendors, restaurants, and cab drivers. The only time you may need local currency is if you plan on taking a local bus.

We have also been in all those ports many times over the years.

Never had to worry about using US dollars.

Go to the front office and get ones and fives for your shopping. That way you won't get a lot of local money.

Also have a credit card with a small limit on it if you do need to charge anything.

Wondering what different currencies are used in the various ports that we will be stopping at, I know the US dollar is considered a "universally accepted currency", but my son spent several months in Central America and says its the Colon in Costa Rica, the Cordoba in Nicaragua and the Quetzal in Guatamala. Are there any seasoned travelers here with experience in these countries who can give some advice?

Thanks, and cheers :)

Imagineer

Have been to all these ports more than once on cruises and never had any problems using US$. The locals try to make life easier for cruise passengers who are there for a day or maybe 2. Remember to bring lower denominations as makes it easier for the vendors, restaurants, and cab drivers. The only time you may need local currency is if you plan on taking a local bus.

Completely agree with this.. Have only used U.S. Dollars in every port on the Panama Canal Cruise.. Don't bother with local currency unless, as the above poster mentioned, you plan to be boarding a bus in any of these cities.. Be sure to take small denominations of USD in order to buy local Goods..

Panama's currency is the US dollar. But, they also have their own 25 cent pieces.

You can definately use USD in Costa Rica. This is fine for smaller purchases. The exchange rate last at most places last month was 500 colons to the dollar. The actual exchange rate is 560. We were there for several weeks. It was more advantageous for us to use colons or our credit card.

You will likely be OK with US dollars on your itinerary. However, we do totally disagree that the US Dollar is a "Universal" currency. This is very far from the truth. As frequent international travelers (often out of the US over 6 months a year) we can assure anyone...that the US Dollar is no longer accepted in many places of the world...including Western Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South America, etc etc.

Hank

You will likely be OK with US dollars on your itinerary. However, we do totally disagree that the US Dollar is a "Universal" currency. This is very far from the truth. As frequent international travelers (often out of the US over 6 months a year) we can assure anyone...that the US Dollar is no longer accepted in many places of the world...including Western Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South America, etc etc.

Hank

You took the words right out of my mouth .... I bemoan the arrogance of travellers who think their currency is "the currency" !

The vendors near the ship will show prices in US$, or tell you their prices in US$.

If you venture beyond the port area you will find it different. And how you pay for things beyond the port area depends on what you are spending your money on. Restaurants will usually take credit cards as will higher-end shops and hotels; some taxi's will take credit cards or maybe US$. You can get local currency from ATMs that accept your bank debit card, if you can find an ATM... if you are hiring a taxi you can ask the driver about payment type to him and for where your local destination is, such as if you are heading to a museum, hotel etc., and if he can take you to an ATM to get local currency if that will be needed. Also you could ask at the Tourism Information centers.

But for most of us buying small items near the port, US$ will be very accepted, although maybe not at the very best exchange rate. m--

We returned last month from a full transit of the Canal, with port calls in Cartagena (Colombia), Puntarenas (Costa Rica), Corinto (Nicaragua), and Puerto Quetzal (Guatemala), plus five ports in Mexico. We did not need local currency in any of these places, although I did have a few hundred U.S. dollars worth of Mexican pesos, given that we were going to do some of the Mexican ports on our own and would be taking taxis, etc. We never really needed the pesos, either.

Do have small denomination U.S. bills in good condition, as others have advised.

The US dollar is almost universally accepted in areas with high concentrations of US tourists, specifically tourist businesses in the more common cruise ports where US citizens make up the majority of the passengers.

I agree that the US dollar is not automatically accepted in other places.

igraf

Hank

I would weigh the inflated US dollar prices against the cost of exchanging currency plus any concerns regarding credit card fraud. For a few inexpensive souvenirs at a one-day port stop, I would just use US dollars.

igraf

...We were there for several weeks. It was more advantageous for us to use colons or our credit card.

Hank

When I checked last, none of these places are included on a Panama Canal cruise ;). I used to get pesos when going to Mexico but I have not found it to be beneficial to do so. It's just one more stop at a currency exchange. I'm in no way thinking the almighty US dollar is the answer in every situation.

We travel all over the world. Twice a year, two-three months at a time. Past few years has been SE Asia/Central America in winter, Southern Europe in the fall.

We have had our credit card compromised twice. Both times at home. We never use debit-either at home or while we travel. Fortunately we have a cc that charges straight FX, no added admin charges.

I get a travel card. My VISA has been compromised and it's painful to change direct debits etc. Also my travel card doesn't charge withdrawal fees or currency conversion rates. So much better. I bring some cash (in this instance US$) and then withdraw from the card or pay for things on the card when I need more.