Are Thomson cruises any good

As many as you want between 10 a.m. and 2 a.m. (obviously breakfast drinks are also included pre-10 a.m.)

Ah thanks so much. I appreciate all your help and information. You have helped so much. We usually cruise with royal Caribbean and pay off the package and get everything we want unlimited. It will be a first time cruise with Thompson for us 😊

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Forums mobile app

Have Beene no he dream three times and tui discovery 2 once last month. Loved the dream, it's small but the cabins, venues and mdr are all really good. There is a good spiced well appointed theatre too. We always had the drinks package included for free which made a big difference. It is dated compared to the mega ships but it is a friendly vessel with a good atmosphere.

Which brings me to TUI Discovery 2. An absolute step up for Thomson, all inclusive as standard, spectacular dining venues, wonderful facilities, great shows, a range of great venues. The atrium is beautiful. The ship still retains ithe friendliness and service thomson is known for. Back onboard in October as we enjoyed it so much.

Heartily recommend Thomson cruising.

• 2 months later...
We've cruised with other lines (Cunard, P&O, Costa) and have never had a bad cruise. For me, the food and entertainment on Thomsons are excellent, we had the best meal ever on a ship in Mistral on Celebration last year. Yes the ships we've been on (Calypso, Majesty and Celebration) are older and smaller but that is part of the charm. Yes, the cabins are a bit dated but very clean and the beds are comfortable. I like the wide age range and love the fact that they have bike tours.

We were on the Celebration last July in the Adriatic and have booked for her in the Caribbean next January.

Give Thomsons a go!

We have cruised with several other company's mainly RC this will be our first time with Thomson, we go on Celebration 3/1/2018 and looking forwarded to it.

Having previously cruised with Union Castle, P&O, Norwegian American, Princess and Royal Caribbean, we spent October half term on Thomson/Tui/Marella Discovery 2. We booked as it was a family cruise, flying from our local airport and we managed to fit in with teachers' holidays.

After booking, had a slight wobble as to whether we had made a mistake. We knew Discovery 2 was a former RCCL ship and it was only a week, so gave it a go. We paid extra to choose adjacent balcony cabins on deck 6, the cruise was all inclusive (we felt no need to upgrade to the premium drinks' package at £50 pp as spirits, cocktails, wines, beer, cider, Prosecco of reasonable standard were included) Gratuities were also included although some people do tip extra.

Staff without exception were amazing. Every single one of them was polite, cheerful, helpful and very hardworking. They could not do enough for passengers.

There was a wide range of food choices with something for everyone in the included restaurants. We were too late to book the steakhouse so unfortunately can't comment. The Snack Shack on the pool deck had snacks available all day which was wonderful. The Islands Buffet offered self service wine, beer and water on tap, and many food options. Service in the main dining room was slightly slower than the help yourself buffet, but as expected in white linen restaurants.

Cabins were as expected, clean, comfortable and serviced twice daily by diligent stewards. Linens were soft and white. Body wash available in shower and two small bars of soap were provided. Didn't need more but am sure they would have been provided if requested. Two European and two USA sockets available in the desk area. Kettle with tea, coffee, milk and sugar most useful. Water machines available on pool and accommodation desks. An empty carafe was provided in the cabin.

Entertainment staff very busy trying to keep everyone happy. Not great fans of this personally, on any cruiseline. Others seemed to be happy with events.

As it was half term there were quite a few children onboard. They were allowed in the hot tubs which might have upset some passengers. As the pool was icy, salt water we understood why they were there. There was a children's club but after hearing some parents using foul language to their own children, daughter decided against enrolling grand daughter. Children (6-10) seemed to find 'find' each other and soon became a 'gang' who played together.

If I had to find fault it would be the cost of wi fi aboard the ship. Daughter needed it for grand daughter to stay in touch with husband/father who had been unable to get leave to come with us.

Would we return ?? Undoubtedly yes to Discovery or Discovery 2. Not sure about other ships after having read disappointing reviews elsewhere.

Bon voyage !!

Recently returned from 'Marella' Discovery.

Have had many fantastic cruises with Thomson & then for various reasons tried Fred Olsen which we have also had some great cruises on.

I was on Discovery for the inaugural cruise & had a lovely time however this last cruise just didn't do it for us. We made the most of it as a family & enjoyed every minute & laughed our way through the negatives!

Cruise Director - Paul Evans was funny; he joined in with the bands & made spot appearances in the shows. Loved his announcements from the Bridge too.

Entertainment was good - showteam were young & enthusiastic with some good shows; content improved every day.

Igor, pianist was exceptionally talented as was Chris the Saxophonist. B12 were a fantastic Filipino Party Band - so lively with a huge repertoire & again such talent & enthusiasm.

Bar 11 great fun late at night.

Breakfast in 47 was good as was afternoon tea in Islands. Bar service was good although cocktails seemed rather weak at times!!!

Now onto the let down.

We tried to get into 47 or Gallery for 4 nights; times ranging from 7.20pm-8.40pm. We had to queue & were then given a buzzer & waits were from 40-60 minutes to be given a ticket to then stand in a queue again to wait up to 10 minutes to be shown to our table.

Starters took anytime up to 40 minutes to arrive & waits between courses could also be long.

We felt sorry for the waiting staff - they seemed stressed & under pressure. There were lots of empty tables yet people queuing to get into the restaurant - it really didn't appear to be that they had enough staff to cope with the numbers of diners.

Food quality was ok but not how it used to be on Thomson & certainly not up to the standard of Fred Olsen.

We are happy to spend a leisurely time over a meal but nearly 2 1/2 hours on the first 2 nights (plus waiting time to get in!) preally is a bit drawn out.

We enjoyed the Glasshouse for 2 nights & had good service in there as we also did in Kora La.

Not sure if we were just unlucky the week that we were on & we did raise our concerns with management & senior waiters but they didn't seem too interested.

Sad to see this apparently bad management of dinner service on the newer ship - it did let Discovery down for us.

There seems to be common problem with the Discoveries and the service in the dining rooms. They appear to have between 720 and 750 crew but when with royal Caribbean apparently 30 to 40 extra crew. If those extra crew were all waiter/galley staff it might explain the problems.

The new Explorer in her Mein Schiff guise apparently has over 900 crew!

There seems to be common problem with the Discoveries and the service in the dining rooms. They appear to have between 720 and 750 crew but when with royal Caribbean apparently 30 to 40 extra crew. If those extra crew were all waiter/galley staff it might explain the problems.

One of the Senior Managers blamed the passengers for the long waits! "It's because they all want to eat at the same time". :confused::confused:

I think they could do themselves a favour by having set dining on Gallery 47 (even if only bookable the previous night) & freedom dining in 47?

We travelled as a family of six. Ate at 47 and Gallery 47 on Discovery 2, during busy October half term week. Arrived at dining room between 7 and 7.15pm each evening and didn't have to wait for a table once. That said the duration of meal was about 2 hours...quite a long time with a six year old! Thank goodness she is used to restaurants and behaves well as we take colouring books etc to entertain her.

We travelled as a family of six. Ate at 47 and Gallery 47 on Discovery 2, during busy October half term week. Arrived at dining room between 7 and 7.15pm each evening and didn't have to wait for a table once. That said the duration of meal was about 2 hours...quite a long time with a six year old! Thank goodness she is used to restaurants and behaves well as we take colouring books etc to entertain her.

We were on at the same dates as you as a table of 4!!! Lots of disgruntled customers in the queues getting angry with the staff on the doors.

We were with our 17 & 20 year old so we just laughed though it & made the most of the drink package while waiting as we knew there was nothing else we could do! Not very satisfactory though - we did miss the show on the first night & had to rush the end of our meal a couple of nights to get to the shows! :(

A work colleague of mine's husband is French and she thinks 2 hours for dinner is not long at all. Part of the problem is the british way of eating. Sit down, eat the starter, main course arrives in 2 mins, eat the main course, 2 mins later pudding arrives, eat the pudding, leave, all with little or no conversation. What we want is fast food which you can get in the buffet.

Fixed sittings could help as the galley know when the various courses have to be ready to serve.

Or if the problem is not the galley but the number of waiters how about some innovative thinking. A new crew position of steward/waiter who services the cabins in the morning shift and serves in the main dining room/bar in the evening. Turning down beds etc could be dropped. Pay them more than a standard steward or waiter of course.

We quite enjoy the meal spread over a couple of hours as we always ask to share a table and like the socialization. We've met some very pleasant and interesting people.

When we've had set dining on P&O etc it has always around 2 hours.

I think the MDRs on the Discoveries are very airy and enjoyable, better than many ships, and we look forward to chatting to different fellow passengers.

I have always had fixed dining on my cruises and am quite happy for a meal to take up to 2 hours. The lack of fixed dining is one of the things that has deterred me from booking Thomson, so I hope that they have sorted the delays by the time I cruise with them for the first time in January.

I too was on the Discovery inaugural sailing and the MDR was their failing they completely forgot to beep for us on the last night and eventually when we went back to the desk we had to have what was left in a nearly empty dining room, however that said it has not put us off we are back on her Sunday 19th November for two weeks. Hopefully no hiccups this time.

A work colleague of mine's husband is French and she thinks 2 hours for dinner is not long at all. Part of the problem is the british way of eating. Sit down, eat the starter, main course arrives in 2 mins, eat the main course, 2 mins later pudding arrives, eat the pudding, leave, all with little or no conversation. What we want is fast food which you can get in the buffet.

Fixed sittings could help as the galley know when the various courses have to be ready to serve.

Or if the problem is not the galley but the number of waiters how about some innovative thinking. A new crew position of steward/waiter who services the cabins in the morning shift and serves in the main dining room/bar in the evening. Turning down beds etc could be dropped. Pay them more than a standard steward or waiter of course.

We go to France a lot & are quite happy to enjoy a meal over an evening. Would hate to have plates taken away & then the next course put straight down & certainly wouldn't expect that for a meal in the main dining room (& didn't get that!).

The issue (when we were onboard) was the bad management of getting people into dinner & not enough waiters to serve tables that were empty & the waiters who were working having to look after too many tables!

Hopefully this will be resolved but I like your innovative ideas!

I too was on the Discovery inaugural sailing and the MDR was their failing they completely forgot to beep for us on the last night and eventually when we went back to the desk we had to have what was left in a nearly empty dining room, however that said it has not put us off we are back on her Sunday 19th November for two weeks. Hopefully no hiccups this time.

When we were on recently, we turned up to the desk on 2 nights at the restaurant when we were 'buzzed' along with lots of others to all be told there was a technical issue & we shouldn't have been buzzed so had to retreat back to the bar!!!

There was a lot that happened throughout the cruise that can only be described as a Comedy of Errors :').

I have always had fixed dining on my cruises and am quite happy for a meal to take up to 2 hours. The lack of fixed dining is one of the things that has deterred me from booking Thomson, so I hope that they have sorted the delays by the time I cruise with them for the first time in January.

I must admit, having moved away from Thomson with flexible dining to fixed, we actually do prefer fixed dining now - it is so much more efficient & whilst the meals on fixed have never been rushed, they certainly 'flow' better!

The move back to Thomson / Marella was a shock to us with seemingly little organisation over the meal seatings & service.

I believe if you dine early on Discovery, service & getting into the MDR is fairly efficient :)

It's not just a problem on the Discoveries Dave.. We had the same problems on the Celebration. Over two hours most nights and almost always leaving without coffee to try to catch the start of the show.

Cuts around the ship very noticeable in all areas. Staff seem stressed and unhappy. First time cruisers would not notice this but long time cruisers see a big difference in the atmosphere on board.

Courses in the MDR cut from five to three and much smaller portions. Day time entertainment sorely lacking. We can remember when there was so much going on it was difficult to chose. We were actually bored most days on our last cruise.

It seems a popular move by cruise lines to change their menus so that there only appear to be three courses on offer. However we just pick say an appetiser and a soup and thus order four courses and that works fine. Presume nobody would stop you doing this on Thomson/Marella?

Hi I am still on Discovery 2 in April 2018. I have the basic all inclusive drink package and was wondering since bottle water is not included in it if someone can tell me how much I would pay for it. Also if I want a Mudslide (listed on premium pkg.) how much would I have to pay for this cocktail. Many thanks for any information given.