Help! Discovery Gluten free question

We have cruised with Norwegian we did the Epic last year and after speaking to the head of catering I found they had lots of gluten free options waffles bread biscuits etc and I pre ordered my main meal the the night before, Does anyone know if its the same on Marella Discovery as we are booked on a cruise on the 1st of April I tried telephoning but they just said they had some foods but were not specific and I really dont want to pack lots of snacks if I dont have to.Any advice appreciated

I am gluten free and have only cruised with tui they cater really good for anyone with dietary needs been on discovey 1 twice and going again on may 6 th you can order straight from the menu or they are quite happy to cook anything for you ( with notice) in the self service restaurant the labels on food will say g/f they also provide gluton free afternoon tea ,the snack shack provides tubs of fresh fruit and individual assorted salads bread is also available in restaurants hope this puts your mind at rest enjoy your cruise,

My wife is Gluten free and we have sailed a few times with Thomson (pre Tui).

If you let your waiter know, they will assign a restaurant supervisor to you, they will give you "tomorrows" menu and ask you to pre-order 24 hours in advance, the supervisor will look over your choices and advise if they can provide the food gluten free, he will advise if you need to change anything or offer alternatives.

They are really good and very friendly, if they can't offer a Gluten free version of something, they will offer something "bespoke" and get the Chef to make it up for you.

Don't worry about it honestly, there are things available, the only complaint my wife has is in the buffet restaurant with the sweet section, there are some people who don't fully understand the condition and think that the Gluten free options are less fattening and don't leave anything for the people who need them.

Thank you all for quick replies A lot happier now! that's great if they have a GF section or I can ask supervisor which is exactly like Norwegian cruises, husband is happy too will not need to stuff case with GF snacks! I just dont wont to be hungry on my cruise! thanks everyone again

There are 3 Coeliacs in my family & we were on Discovery last October.

They would not allow us to have the menu the night before & pre-order; we asked several people & they said they don't do that. Anything that is GF is marked on the menu & you just chose from that - they won't do anything different for you (unlike on previous Thomson cruises we have been on). To be honest, the waiting staff are so busy looking after so many tables, we didn't like to pressure them so just chose off the menu.

Breakfast in the MDR was good with GF bread & rolls & GF options on the cooked menu. Afternoon tea in Islands was good too.

In the Glasshouse we pre-ordered GF pizza & that was good for an evening meal however GF late night snacks were non existent in the Glasshouse - we didn't need them but we did check!

Labelling of foods was dubious; saw a few things which were labelled GF & they weren't & my family were given gluten containing soy sauce in Kora La even though they were well aware of the dietary needs.

Food standards in my mind has declined from previous Thomson cruises we have been on & only 3 course meals now in the evening. GF desserts were pretty basic.

You won't have problems eating but we have experienced much better on other Thomson Cruises & far superior on P&O & Fred.

Thanks Jules Good to know I can get afternoon tea! sad to hear you think its declined I'll take some stuff with me not easy for 14 nights as we are usually 7! someone said its better if you can pre order because it lets the cruise line see lots more people are GF now , but that's not an option here never mind just means I have to pack less clothes more snacks!

Thanks Jules Good to know I can get afternoon tea! sad to hear you think its declined I'll take some stuff with me not easy for 14 nights as we are usually 7! someone said its better if you can pre order because it lets the cruise line see lots more people are GF now , but that's not an option here never mind just means I have to pack less clothes more snacks!

You won't need snacks - there is enough to eat & there are always fruit & salads for snacks. You won't go hungry, I can assure you of that. It might just not be up to the same standard of Norweigan. My family certainly didn't starve; they tended to eat a good breakfast then afternoon tea on return to the ship after being out for the day! Evening meals were ok but not very big portions & there was always something they could eat for the evening meal - a lot of the time it was just a plain version (no sauce) of what was advertised.

We pre-ordered GF pizza the night before in the Glasshouse - that was good & worth a visit & the Tapas you can have there were mainly gluten free.

We love Italian food but sadly there was only a very limited selection of GF food in Gallery 47 (Italian Restaurant). Luckily we stopped at 3 Italian ports so did have lunch out there a couple of times!

Somewhat veering off course - but I noticed gluten free beer in our local Tesco the other day, Greene King IPA I think.

Good to see an option for those with this condition.

My husband loves it! That was one thing he did miss when he was first diagnosed & has become a cider drinker now but there are some great gluten free beers on the market now too!

• 2 months later...
My husband loves it! That was one thing he did miss when he was first diagnosed & has become a cider drinker now but there are some great gluten free beers on the market now too!

You can now get gluten free peroni which tastes better than normal peroni

Sent from my iPad using Forums