British Isle Cruise - Connecting in Toronto - Do we go through Customs to and from?

JimAOk1945

We have a British Isles cruise booked for next August and will be departing from Southampton. The Air Canada flights from SAT with a connecting flight in Toronto look appealing in terms of price and flight duration.

I've done research but can't find answers. This will be our first cruise in Europe. I'm hoping to receive some guidance here from those who have experience going through Toronto.

Do we go through Customs in Toronto before our getting on the connecting flight to Southampton? If so, can you describe the process?

Do we go through Customs in Southampton upon arrival or departure? Please describe the process.

If we come back from Southampton, do we go through Customs in Toronto again?

How much time should we allow for our connecting flights?

We have up to date passports. Is there anything else we will need?

Thanks in advance for any information and/or helpful comments!

You need up to date passports...that is it.

Going to Europe, you will not do Customs in Toronto, but your passport will be checked (commonly called Immigration in the US, Passport Check in most of the rest of the world). You will be held "in transit" at Toronto. If you leave the "in transit" area you can, and likely will be subject to Immigration, Customs and repeat security and passport checks.

In Great Britain, you will have a Passport check first and then, after claiming your bags, Customs, which is usually very easy. If you have anything to declare, do so, and meet an official. If not, you walk right on out after claiming your bag(s).

Coming back, you will go through US Immigration and Customs in Toronto, as it is a "pre-clearance" airport. That just means you do the things you normally do at your first US airport, at Toronto.

Thanks CruiserBruce! Knowing what to expect makes traveling much less stressful.

I thought of another question. What about our bags? Will they be checked all the way through to our final destination both coming and going from the airport?

Your phrase "connecting flight to Southampton" is a little worrisome altho' I expect you put it in for convenience - won't you be flying to LHR or LGW?

Then you'll need to take the train, express bus, or car service.

I have chatted to many US folk who don't necessarily realize how far they still need to go after landing in the UK - Southampton is a great port tho', pretty easy to get to.

Your phrase "connecting flight to Southampton" is a little worrisome altho' I expect you put it in for convenience - won't you be flying to LHR or LGW?

Then you'll need to take the train, express bus, or car service.

I have chatted to many US folk who don't necessarily realize how far they still need to go after landing in the UK - Southampton is a great port tho', pretty easy to get to.

Yes I meant to say LHR. Our cruise leaves from Southampton. We have arranged for transfers to the hotel, to the ship, then back to the airport after we disembark from our cruise. Thanks for you input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Should be checked through both ways. Going to Europe definitely. Pretty sure they will check through coming home.

We usually have our bags shipped home from each cruise through whichever cruise line we are on. They are called something like Luggage Direct.

I wonder whether this type of baggage handling service is available overseas?

We usually have our bags shipped home from each cruise through whichever cruise line we are on. They are called something like Luggage Direct.

I wonder whether this type of baggage handling service is available overseas?

These programs are NOT usually offered outside of the US.

Not true. Luggage Forward, a company that Seabourn works, with does indeed offer luggage service overseas and I have used it.

You may be correct, but it has not been my experience, nor frequently reported here that the mass market lines provide this service outside the US. Seabourn is in a different league.

OP, best you ask your cruise line, check their website ( for example I know Holland America tells on their website where they offer this service...wasn't outside the US last I looked), or ask on the board for your cruise line.

You may be correct, but it has not been my experience, nor frequently reported here that the mass market lines provide this service outside the US. Seabourn is in a different league.

OP, best you ask your cruise line, check their website ( for example I know Holland America tells on their website where they offer this service...wasn't outside the US last I looked), or ask on the board for your cruise line.

Thanks CruiserBruce. We are cruising on the Crown Princess so I will check on the Princess website. I should have thought of that!