Family suite question

jworld

Currently booked a family suite for November 7 days to Mexico riviera, I’m a first time cruiser, and have read from some reviews that front of ship tend to feel more motions. And you can’t even go out to balcony during sea days due to high winds. Anyone traveled to Mexico riviera during November or December times in a room at front of cruise? How are the waves? Should I switch room? The thing is we have four adult and 1 toddler, so we prefer to stay in one room. Thank you for all answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Currently booked a family suite for November 7 days to Mexico riviera, I’m a first time cruiser, and have read from some reviews that front of ship tend to feel more motions. And you can’t even go out to balcony during sea days due to high winds. Anyone traveled to Mexico riviera during November or December times in a room at front of cruise? How are the waves? Should I switch room? The thing is we have four adult and 1 toddler, so we prefer to stay in one room. Thank you for all answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should be fine, and you will have all the full suite benefits, including Club Class Dining, and special breakfasts in the Crown Grill. I don't believe there are any other cabins on the ship that can accommodate 5 passengers. You would have to take two cabins with 3 in one and two in another. There may be a little wind on the balcony. Have fun on the cruise.

The only ship with connecting cabins (meaning an interior door that connects them) that I'm aware of on Princess is the Caribbean Princess. They were added pretty recently. You don't mention which ship but I don't think CP sails to Mexico anyway. We have 5 in our family as well and you could always get two balcony or mini-suite cabins next to each other and get your balconies connected. We do that all the time.

As mentioned you would have a lot of great benefits with the family suite. To be safe I would bring anti-seasickness meds (like Bonine, which we use and can be bought at Walmart or Target) since you will feel more motion at the front of Dolphin deck. It's hard to predict what the ocean will be like. If you haven't cruised before, I would also get prescription scopolamine ear patches for an emergency. We learned that the hard way with our kids on our first cruise. They can be cut down to a tiny size and will work wonders in someone who is already vomiting from seasickness and can't keep a pill down.

By taking precautions like that you should be okay in the family suite location. But you do have plenty of time to change to different cabins if needed.

We have a family of 5 also- we usually just get 2 cabins. We have done the family suite to Hawaii and loved it. The balcony is huge, but it is super windy (didn't stop us once in a while) great while in port- the suite benefits are great, mostly we used the breakfast at sabitinis and the laundry. Many of the ships do have a few connecting doors, but you have to ask which cabins they are and they are different on all the ships. I know the Ruby has some on the 5th floor with oceanviews, and Sapphire in some of the obstructed view rooms- they do go fast, but never hurts to ask!

Following up on my post, I would recommend staying in the Family Suite. In my opinion the Full Suite benefits far outweigh the balcony. If the sea is rough you are going to feel it almost any

where on the ship. Come prepared with sea sick preventatives. Sea sick medicine must be taken before you get sick. Doesn't really work after the fact. I take some as soon as I feel that rolling motion. For adults one to two tablets of Bonnine less drowsey/day is the dose. Not sure about children.

If you really want to move to two connecting cabins go to the Princess.com website, onboard our ships, and search deck plans for the Ruby. Check the box for connecting cabins and you will find quite a few on decks 12 and 11 and some on decks 10, 9 and 8.

• 3 months later...

We had the family suite on the CB December 2016. I agree, suite benefits outweighed the high winds on the balcony. During our cruise, the winds coming from the South were over 20 mph. With the ship going 22 knots, it was very breezy on the balcony. One night the deck furniture had a nice wind dance about 2 am. We did have some noise from the heavy seas against the bow, but it was not a bother, kind of cool knowing the seas were rough but the CB rode very smooth. If you want to have the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, make sure you plan on being in port and not underway.

If you have already booked a family suite, I would keep it. They are hard to get. As for connecting cabins, most all Princess ships have a door between balconies that can be opened by your room steward. We have used them to connect 3 cabins on a Mexican cruise. Unless there is a storm about, the west coast of Mexico is usually calm unless you sail out of San Francisco. The 1st day out of that port usually has a bit of sea.

My family of 5 stayed in a family suited on the Crown Princess in March. We absolutely loved it. Breakfast in Sabatini's was great, as was the CC Dining. We did not have any issues on the balcony on the sea days. Excess motion was non-existent. Our Family Suite was capable of accommodating up to 8 passengers.

The only negative was the fold out couch. Both were quite worn. No one in our group were able to sit on the couch. We kept sliding off the front of the couch. Of course, my kids eventually made a game of it.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Family Suite for families or large groups.

We have the Family Suite booked on the Caribbean Princess next year.

• 2 months later...
The only ship with connecting cabins (meaning an interior door that connects them) that I'm aware of on Princess is the Caribbean Princess. They were added pretty recently. You don't mention which ship but I don't think CP sails to Mexico anyway. We have 5 in our family as well and you could always get two balcony or mini-suite cabins next to each other and get your balconies connected. We do that all the time.

As mentioned you would have a lot of great benefits with the family suite. To be safe I would bring anti-seasickness meds (like Bonine, which we use and can be bought at Walmart or Target) since you will feel more motion at the front of Dolphin deck. It's hard to predict what the ocean will be like. If you haven't cruised before, I would also get prescription scopolamine ear patches for an emergency. We learned that the hard way with our kids on our first cruise. They can be cut down to a tiny size and will work wonders in someone who is already vomiting from seasickness and can't keep a pill down.

By taking precautions like that you should be okay in the family suite location. But you do have plenty of time to change to different cabins if needed.

Ruby Princess has interior connecting cabins on Baja deck for sure.

Ruby Princess has interior connecting cabins on Baja deck for sure.

Ruby Princess also has inside cabins with connecting doors on Plaza deck.

I recently had one (P232) but was not traveling with the people in Cabin that was connected (P236), so the door was never open.

I noticed that had 3 in Cabin.

By the way, I never heard a peep, for those concerned with noise from connecting cabins. The connection door was in the hallway near the door and bathroom/closet area.