4 Jan 2010 Minerva Cruise

dileep

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We did a similar itinerary with Quark in 2007 - it was fantastic. You're in for a treat.

I read on the blog that the Dec 19 sailing was delayed by a day due to late-arriving pax. Have you heard how/if this will impact your sailing?

They were delayed by less than 24 hours on a 16 day cruise. It should have no impact on us. We plan to get to Ushuaia a day early to avoid similar problems.

Arriving early is a good idea. In our case, Aerolineas had a "work slow down" so we were delayed getting into town by half a day and one of our bags took several days to show up. Not a problem -- we were in Ushuaia for several days prior to our embarkation and could still enjoy seeing the area without stressing over the delays.

Flight from JFK to Buenos Aires at 10 pm on Jan 1 was postponed to 10 am on jan 2 and then cancelled. Lots of stress, but we were rerouted through Dallas and landed at 9 am in Buenos Aires today in time to drive to the domestoic airport for the flight to Ushuaia. Missed an afternoon of sighteseeing in BA, but we will make the cruise tomorrow!

Short lines at EZE for the reciprocity fee. We we were out with out baggae and in a taxi within 30 minutes of the flight pulling in to the gate.

40 minutes from EZE to AEP.

Nice sunny afternoon in Ushuaia!

Didn't last long though; they got the Shake yesterday ... well, you got to experience the Drake a bit like it is most of the time to make the adventure complete.

You begin your adventure today ... have a great time ... and may the weather gods look favorably upon your voyage.

Talked to several people who had just come off the ship and everyone said that the entire experience was superb. As one woman said "If I tried to find something to complain about, I could not"!

we board in less than 2 hours! Very windy in Ushuaia.

minerva.jpg.492de66410186d865a3764485272ddc5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If going there I hope you dont or didnt get the Catabatic winds caused by cold air form the snow and glaciers we did in late December on my recent cruise with Le Diamant. 153 knots wind and ship listed to port 25 degrees. i clawed my way to the middle of the bed it was 11.30pm when it started and hung on while the stuff in the cabin whirled round me.!!all ships sheltering in Grytviken that night probably drifted like we did as too dangerous to anchor. Boy what a mess round the ship but our crew was fantastic and got the chaos cleaned up very quickly.Our captain was wonderful and it didnt take too long to have the ship under control and safer again.It was an experience none of us will forget but we were on a fantastic journey and im sure noone complained.

we sailed into Ushuaia around 8 pm last night and just got off the ship about an hour ago. Drake was smoother than we expected. Captain said we had the smoothest seas but the worst snow and rain that he has seen in the last 4 years on this ship.

The Nat Geo Explorer pulled in a hour after us last night. This morning the Mare Australis, Corinthian II and the Akademik Sergei Vavilov also pulled in.

Everything was fantastic - the ship, the crew, the food, expeditions! Unfortunately this is the last season for this ship in the Antarctic.

So happy you had a wonderful trip! Looking forward to see you review and photos, should you kindly present them for us.

Cheers from Rio de Janeiro!

Stromness - South Georgia

Iceberg Alley in Antarctic Sound

Archived