First cruise helpful hints

beachannie53

Hey there, we are planning our first cruise and want to know your insider little known secrets. You know make sure you bring..., don't bother with..., always do this...etc. We are planning on a 4day cruise to Cozemel out of Mobile. I am a detail organizing OCD research junkie so there is never to much info.

We thank you ahead of time....

I also wanted to welcome you to Cruise Critic and just mention that there will be a lot of good information on two of the Cruise Critic boards for you in terms of overall cruising.

Ask the Question Board at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114

First Time Cruisers Board at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Plan to sleep in on sea days. With port times, there are some days I get up earlier on the ship than I do at home.

Don’t forget you’re on a ship! Find a quiet place, and watch the ocean waves go by. It is very peaceful.

Plan, but change. My wife and I plan because it’s fun, but if the plan changes, it changes. Whatever you don’t do, you’ll be doing something else. You’re not being graded!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I could recreate our first cruises I would skip the port shopping talks and the bingo games. I'd avoid buying trinkets and just savor the food , relaxation and entertainment. I'd not do anything on the cruise that I wouldn't do at home or buy anything I wouldn't buy at home. :)

My suggestion would be read the daily ship paper and choose two or three things to do onboard the ship. Someone mentioned don't try to do everything onboard; it will just wear you out. Mostly relax and enjoy your vacation

• 4 weeks later...

My number one tip would be to carefully plan your day in Cozumel - where to go, what to see and what to do. Otherwise you'll waste too much time, and miss out. And I agree about not playing bingo - the ship version of the game is over in a couple of minutes, and somebody else always seems to win.

• 3 months later...

I suggest not over planning your cruise. I also suggest researching potential excursions as the cruise lines will sell an excursion that is out of sync with the activity. For instance - a whale watching tour when it is out of season for whale migration at the location. We are heading to Hawaii in October and had to cancel a tour to Hawaii Volcano National Park. I have been watching the updates from the United States Geological Service regarding the volcano eruption. The museum we were to visit has been closed due to damage (the Jaggar Museum), the crater outlook is significantly damaged by earthquakes, the parking lot has apparently slid into the crater, and the water supply and roads have been damaged by earthquakes as well. Most of the National Park has been closed for quite some time and there is no indication of when it might re-open. Princess is still selling the excursion as of yesterday despite the park being closed and risks being high. We are pretty disappointed but but when it comes to erupting volcanoes I become risk averse.