Curling iron onboard

Hobbes67

Heat producing items such as curling irons and even hair dryers are a huge safety hazard on board ships. They cause fires and can even explode. Just because it works at home does not mean that it is safe to use on ship.

Just because a few people have said that they have used their flat irons or curling irons on board does not mean that it is permitted or even safe to use. If the cruise line says they are not permitted on board, please, please, don't use these items. You put the entire ship in jeopardy.

Other items that are a safety hazard are extension cords, especially those with multiple plugs and surge protectors (which can explode).

Here is the Viking policy on electrical items:

If you are traveling on a Viking Longship, you will find both 110V and 220V electrical outlets in your stateroom. The 220V outlets are German Schuko 2-pin safety plugs. There are also several US 110V sockets. Should you need an adapter for these outlets, they can be found at most electronic or travel stores, or are available for sale in the onboard shop. (Remember that if you’re staying in a hotel for part of your journey, you’ll want the appropriate adapter for that country as well.) In your stateroom, you will also find a USB socket to charge cell phones and tablets; just bring the appropriate cable with you. Modern electronic devices can accommodate different electrical currents, so you probably won’t need a current converter.
Please note that heat-producing appliances, such as irons, steamers, curling irons and heaters, are potential safety hazards and therefore not permitted on board. Hair dryers are provided on board and in our hotels so you likely do not need to bring one with you.

Yes, Avalon allows curling irons, flat irons and the like. They even have some at the front desk if you need to borrow one. This is a huge point of difference in choosing a river cruise line. I don’t think that men or those fortunate women with wash and go hair can appreciate that most women wish to look like they are on a deluxe vacation and not an escapee form intensive care.

• Haha 1

... I don’t think that men or those fortunate women with wash and go hair can appreciate that most women wish to look like they are on a deluxe vacation and not an escapee form intensive care.

That is a hilarious way to put it... and would be exactly what I would look like if I didn't take my curling iron! :eek:

As someone with wash and wear hair (so please take my comments with a grain of salt) I can't imagine choosing a cruise line because it lets you bring a curling iron.

LOL, everyone has wash and wear hair. It is just about adjusting our perceptions!

... I can't imagine choosing a cruise line because it lets you bring a curling iron.
However I can imagine choosing a cruise line because it restricts uninspected potential fire hazards from being brought onboard. It’s a safety issue, and I’m a lot more concerned with fire onboard than I’m concerned with hair status.

However I can imagine choosing a cruise line because it restricts uninspected potential fire hazards from being brought onboard. It’s a safety issue, and I’m a lot more concerned with fire onboard than I’m concerned with hair status.

My comment went back to post 6 which considered allowing such items a point of differentiation. I agree with you; I'd prefer that they ban your own, even if they have some available to borrow (which would be inspected).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry that I caused such a stir with people. There are a lot of cruise lines to choice from and when I spend that much money I want to have a good time, and part of that is I want to look good. I don't want to wear my hair in a pony tail or wear a hat all of the time. It may appear vain to you, but it is important to me. I travel a lot, all on ocean cruise lines at this point. Based on my experience there are a lot of people that don't care at all how they look on vacation, but that is not me. I would be fine if they would supply a curling iron that they deem safe, or if they want to check mine out.

Recently I had a male friend tell me he and his wife were taking a Viking cruise. I told him I had considered it but was concerned about not taking my curling iron. His comment was "Don't tell my wife as she will not go!" I don't think that it is just me.

My comment went back to post 6 which considered allowing such items a point of differentiation. I agree with you; I'd prefer that they ban your own, even if they have some available to borrow (which would be inspected).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Company issued curling iron/flatirons would be a great solution, such as is the approach to hair dryers. It is my understanding that curling iron/ flatirons draw less electricity than hair dryers and many have automatic off switches.

I would be agreeable to dropping my own off at the front desk and picking it up when I need it.

Company issued curling iron/flatirons would be a great solution, such as is the approach to hair dryers. It is my understanding that curling iron/ flatirons draw less electricity than hair dryers and many have automatic off switches.

I would be agreeable to dropping my own off at the front desk and picking it up when I need it.

Picking up your own iron won't help if the voltage is different. The fire danger comes from different voltages and current draws. Heat appliances draw a lot of current.

Much of the fire risk comes not from the fact that these appliances get hot and can catch something on fire, but that they get draw a lot of current. If the voltage is different from the outlet and you try to use a converter/adapter, it really can wreck havoc. Even dual appliances that draw a lot of current (like a hair dryer) are a fire risk if used with an adapter; they draw so much current that it can melt the adapter.

Some ships have outlets that are 110 and 220. Others just have 220 (we have 110 in the USA).

Those that are committed to hair and are sailing on a cruise line that does allow hair heat appliances should consider buying an appliance in Europe. Then you don't have to deal with adapters that could melt for a dual appliance, or with a converter/adapter for a non dual appliance.

1. I sailed Avalon which allows flat & curling irons.

2. I traveled with my european curling iron (220v & euro plug). It was cheap when I bought it and has lasted a LONG time.

DId you purchase in Europe? Or get it on (for example) Amazon?

I am like many women. While I don't spend a lot of time on my hair, make-up, I do like to look neat and well groomed.

Baf

DId you purchase in Europe? Or get it on (for example) Amazon?

Bought it when I lived in Belgium MANY years ago. Have a hair dryer too but that's not usually needed for travel as so many hotels or ships provide one. I actually contemplated getting a flat iron at the store on another trip in Europe a couple years ago, but then my hair started getting curly on its own and I decided against flat irons for the time being. If you're in a city at the beginning of a trip, you could probably find a decent store (we went to a great multipurpose discount-y store in Nuremburg before our river cruise in 2014!! We bought all sorts of weird things ;p)

I can survive without hair appliances when needed (places I travel for work often have power issues, sometimes water issues). But when I'm on a nice vacation - I often do prefer to "do" my hair and not just put it up in a french twist.....

Bought it when I lived in Belgium MANY years ago. Have a hair dryer too but that's not usually needed for travel as so many hotels or ships provide one. I actually contemplated getting a flat iron at the store on another trip in Europe a couple years ago, but then my hair started getting curly on its own and I decided against flat irons for the time being. If you're in a city at the beginning of a trip, you could probably find a decent store (we went to a great multipurpose discount-y store in Nuremburg before our river cruise in 2014!! We bought all sorts of weird things ;p)

I can survive without hair appliances when needed (places I travel for work often have power issues, sometimes water issues). But when I'm on a nice vacation - I often do prefer to "do" my hair and not just put it up in a french twist.....

Thank you! Hubbs and I are doing a Rhine cruise in Sept 2019 with a pre-cruise extension in Lucerne. Thinking this might be the way to go!

Baf

There are many dual voltage curling irons available online.

I think you are better off (and safer) with a single voltage European appliance. On a dual voltage, if you forget to switch it, it will at the least fry it, and at worst cause a fire.

I don't know about curling irons, but my experience (many years ago so it might be different now) with hair dryers is that they worked very differently on 220 than on 110V. While it had 2 settings for 110, the only setting available when on 220 was high.

I think you are better off (and safer) with a single voltage European appliance. On a dual voltage, if you forget to switch it, it will at the least fry it, and at worst cause a fire.

I don't know about curling irons, but my experience (many years ago so it might be different now) with hair dryers is that they worked very differently on 220 than on 110V. While it had 2 settings for 110, the only setting available when on 220 was high.

Power is a function of the square of the voltage, so for the same setting (resistance) power is 4 times as much on 220 versus 110 volts. A typical hairdryer on high uses about 1200 watts; if left set to that high position it will attempt to consume 4800 watts (4 times as much power) and will probably blow the circuit breaker before starting a fire. Curling irons use considerably less power, but this may actually increase their danger if used improperly; an unattenuated 110v curling iron plugged into 220v is unlikely to draw enough power to blow the circuit breaker but will significantly exceed the power it is designed for and is likely to catch fire.