What makes Royal special?

mared1

Having sale on Holland America and Carnival several times we are thinking about taking a cruise on Royal Caribbean.

After reading several reviews and comments on these boards I’m not so sure it’s a good idea. Seems a lot of things that are standard on both Holland America and Carnival are not on Royal Caribbean. This would include having a ocean view balcony and not getting robes, ice buckets and ice, wine glasses for use in the cabin. I understand you may request them but they are standard on the other 2 lines. Also standard size balcony’s are smaller some having only 2 chairs (none at recline) and a table. The price for an ocean view balcony is also several hundred dollars more. We tend to spend quite a bit of time on the balcony and in the cabin.

So, what are a few of the things besides the shows that make Royal special?

If you're happy with the other cruise lines, I'd stick with them.

I'm loyal to Royal because it's safe. I've always had a good time, the food has always been good, the drinks are delicious, the entertainment has always been good, and I'm always able to find an itinerary I like (in a cabin I want, for a price I like) and unless I just have an abysmal experience, I have zero desire to risk our vacation on an unfamiliar cruise line. But nothing about the experience is just blow me away special.

• Like 1

I think you should go with whatever makes you happy!

Ice, glasses, etc are no big deal. Just ask your steward on day one and they are there for the week; same thing with extra pillows, towels.

You also need to be very careful that you are comparing “apples to apples.” Huge difference between RC smaller ships and the much bigger ships. Same way with cabins/balconies / depends on what you book. Deck plans might be helpful to you in terms of cabins, balconies and size.

Are you comparing suites to suites? I've sailed Carnival many times in an Ocean View Balcony and I've never had robes, wine glasses, or reclining chairs on the small 50 sq ft balcony as a standard. All I have ever gotten was the standard "free" 1 Liter bottle of water, lapel pin, and a welcome back cocktail party that I believe they did away with... The only time I've ever had a robe was on NCL when we were in a mini suite. But that's it.

We have cruised several cruise lines, including Carnival, Princess, Norwegian, Holland America and Royal Caribbean. All have their own pluses and minuses. As mentioned above, there can be a huge difference between ships within the same cruise line. Royal Caribbean has been our favorite due to better food and entertainment quality / selections, based on our tastes. Holland America was our least favorite due to a lack of those same items compared to our experience on other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having sale on Holland America and Carnival several times we are thinking about taking a cruise on Royal Caribbean.

After reading several reviews and comments on these boards I’m not so sure it’s a good idea. Seems a lot of things that are standard on both Holland America and Carnival are not on Royal Caribbean. This would include having a ocean view balcony and not getting robes, ice buckets and ice, wine glasses for use in the cabin. I understand you may request them but they are standard on the other 2 lines. Also standard size balcony’s are smaller some having only 2 chairs (none at recline) and a table. The price for an ocean view balcony is also several hundred dollars more. We tend to spend quite a bit of time on the balcony and in the cabin.

You seem to not really be asking a question, but rather stating your negative opinion of Royal Caribbean. Begs the question of what the point is of this post...

We have sailed Royal, Carnival, NCL, Princess and Disney. I like them all except NCL.

To me what makes Royal better is the actual look of the ship and the layout. I love how easy it is to get around on RCCL and the ships are so pretty.

Now we go back for the perks. After our next cruise when we hit Diamond Plus we may start switching it up more again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You seem to not really be asking a question, but rather stating your negative opinion of Royal Caribbean. Begs the question of what the point is of this post...

Looks like a question to me. I think the point of the poster post is asking for people's opinions on why the like the line.

• Like 1

I think Royal Caribbean is not for you, You won't be catered to as you seem to feel you should be. I don't think asking for ice is a big deal, but it seems like one to you.

Go where you feel you are getting great service and that doesn't appear to be Royal Caribbean.

I really think the Voyager/Freedom/Oasis-class ships are all phenomenal and should be tried by avid cruisers with open minds. I haven't tried a Quantum-class yet. If you're looking for a new experience book a big ship to ports you've been to so you can enjoy the ships. RCI is going to feel much less crowded than Carnival and more nightlife than Holland.

Sailed most of the major lines , rccl, ncl, princess, celebrity, Hal , carnival , costa , msc and others, rccl in general has the best entertainment and the best ship designs , not that I am totally loyal . Will do other lines perfer celebrity suite perks and will try msc yacht club next year.

I've only sailed RCI, but the main reason of choosing Royal over any other cruise line for my first cruise, was the entertainment: ice skating rink, the Flowrider, mini-golf, shows, sports area, arcade, pools, etc, All that stuff in a ship made it very attractive for me.

I thought it was going to be my first, and only cruise ever, but look, I'm about to sail on my fifth one.

Let me know when Carnival and Holland come out with an Oasis class competitor...

But seriously, what makes Royal special is the ships. Go Oasis class and see for yourself. The layout of the ships, Entertainment, solarium, venues, etc. It's so far beyond anything Carnival or Holland has. I mean, just WAY beyond. If a robe and reclining chair is your most important requirement, maybe not for you then, but if you like entertainment, a lively atmosphere, and want to experience something you couldn't believe exists at sea, then give Royals Oasis class a shot.

To be honest its about drinking the coolaid

Every cruise line has it group of loyalists

THey all have the perks that cruiser likes

While people like the OASIS class its not my favorite

I like the Radiance class for Royal

The Spirit Class for Carnival

The Vista class for HAL

I cruise to see the ocean not a promenade that Im trapped in

I haven been on a Royal cruise yet, just Carnival, but it’s definitely the entertainment options that come with a bigger ship. If you go on one of Royal’s smaller ships, I doubt there’s much difference (I’ll find out soon!). Even on Carnival, going from a Dream class down to a Fantasy class was very disappointing, as we’d loved going out to the movies at the pool at night.

Can't think of anything that makes Royal special. I'd stick with the other cruise lines if you are happy with them.

I'm just hanging out for that new 'like' button they are promising with the improved cc.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, mared1 said:

not getting robes, ice buckets and ice, wine glasses for use in the cabin. I understand you may request them but they are standard on the other 2 lines.

Honestly, the mind boggles as to why this is a problem. If they put ice in my room without being asked, the result would be a bucket of room temperature water because I wouldn't use it.  Just tell your cabin steward what you want and it will be provided.

I'm not saying Royal is the best, or better than anyone else. It's got its pluses and minuses like any mass market line. But choosing these things to decide "this company isn't for me" seems a bit... Odd.

• Like 1

I'm not a brand loyalist by any means - I've taken four cruises and each one's been on a different line (RCI, Carnival, Princess, and NCL). There are things I like about each, and things I don't like about each.

The main reason we're going RCI on our next cruise is that it will be our first with our kids, and the activities on the Oasis class ships can't really be beat. 

OP's concerns are valid and the same as my own. I finally decided I just have to try it and am on my first RCCL cruise in 76 days. Since I booked my cruise though I keep coming across items I have always accepted as free and included which appear to be missing or for a fee on RCCL. I am going to try to keep an open mind and evaluate each point individually though. There has to be some reason people are paying more for this cruise line experience.