Should I move a few of bookings to Early saver?

WaggesAZ

We are currently booked on a cruise along with 7 other cabins, all on past guest rates. Since booking, our rates have steadily climbed since booking in June. We are booked on Splendor out of Long Beach and will be cruising over the Memorial Day holiday. We have 4 aft cabins booked on Empress and there are only 2 left on Veranda, so I think these will likely be sold out and there will be no hope for any price adjustments. However, we also have 2 regular balconies as well as 2 inside cabins booked. I am considering moving these bookings to early saver, as the likelihood of them receiving OBC after final payment seems greater. Hoping for some of the experts to give me their 2 cents. As an aside, airfare and hotels are booked and a few are nearly paid in full, so we are not nervous about being committed to early saver restrictions should we move the bookings to ES. Thank you in advance!

Used to be able to get some kind of price adjustment on almost every cruise I booked, or OBC.... what I have seen in the last year or so though is that every cruise rate seems to be the lowest the sooner you can book, and from there the price just keeps climbing.

If you have no reservation about the restrictions of ES, then go a head and switch on the one off chance you can get the adjustment, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You say the prices have steadily climbed. Is the current Early Saver rate lower than what you have as Past Guest? If not, I wouldn't switch hoping for a lower rate later. On my last cruise the only lower rate came right before final payment date and you can still get that if you are booked Past Guest. After our final payment date the rate only went up, not down.

You say the prices have steadily climbed. Is the current Early Saver rate lower than what you have as Past Guest?

No it is not! :o I am following your sage advice and not switching the bookings. I feel it is foolish to agree to a restricted fare that would increase the current fare in hopes if getting a lower fare later. We booked a year in advance and I feel the last time we sailed with Carnival (2013) the same situation happened, no real movement for OBC unless you were willing to give up your room and go with a guarantee. We weren't open to that then, and we certainly wouldn't be open to that this sailing either.

Thank you all for your responses!

Cruise fares these days are controlled by computer algorithms based on supply and demand rather than by humans like the good ol' days. Since this change it's my observation that there are fewer and fewer price cuts and more likely steady increases. In the past few years we've not seen a significant (if any) reductions of the fare we booked 6-12 months ahead on Carnival or Holland America:)

You have till maybe end of year to lock in Early Saver, since you paid less than a change would cost I'd stay put, you can still get breaks up to final pmt if available. The cruise prices have steadily been going higher the last few years. Good luck.