Any water level problems now: Cologne to Nuremberg?

steverhodes

I have friend going Cologne to Nuremberg right now, which is a trip my wife and I will be taking next week. At the start they put them on the Kara rather than the Var that they were supposed to be on. My friend doesn’tknow if that means a ship swap is coming up.

Any idea if there are water problems there? We leave on the Viking Tor next week. (There are only two ships, the Var and the Tor that are scheduled to do the Christmas in Germany cruise.)

Thanks for your help.

I have not heard anything about water level problems which would likely be beyond Nuremberg downstream on the Danube anyway. The Rhine is fine. If you have any uneasy feelings about the swap and what might happen next week do contact Viking and hear what they have to say. Perhaps a problem concerning the ship itself made a change of ship necessary for your friend. Or just pure logistics...

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

I have not heard anything about water level problems which would likely be beyond Nuremberg downstream on the Danube anyway. The Rhine is fine. If you have any uneasy feelings about the swap and what might happen next week do contact Viking and hear what they have to say. Perhaps a problem concerning the ship itself made a change of ship necessary for your friend. Or just pure logistics...

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

They were told she told me that it was because of high water somewhere between Koblenz where they just left and Nuremberg. So the question would be about the Main not the Rhine.

That sounds like the explantation, I have not looked at the Main situation recently, and did not hear anything on the news, so more localized rather than a widespread problem.

notamermaid

You really know this stuff well. Could you look at the Main for me?

Thanks

I am afraid, I am not familiar with the Main area that much, here is what I can do. No big news of flooding or low water that has made it into the news in the Rhine area. The gauging stations on the Main today show medium levels to lower than medium. Some rain is spreading over the whole area from West to East (standard direction) so the level is likely to rise, depends on the amount of rain and whether it is rain or snow. If there is no real flooding showing up in the figures yet, just before it does a local bridge might impact traffic, there is a notorious one in Passau on the Danube, but I do not know the situation on the Main. Some of the bridges on the Main-Danube-Canal are considered a little low and ships are built to maximum headroom these days. So a problem could arise there rather than on the Main itself. I cannot say anything more specific.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

There´s no high water on the Main river

https://www.hnd.bayern.de/pegel/unterer_main

Actually the river level is dropping slightly.

Koblenz is on the Rhine river not on the Main river anyway.

From Bamberg to Nuremberg it´s the Canal which has no level problems at all as the water level is controlled by locks and dams.

steamboats

steamboats has linked a good, easily understandable site (which I had looked at myself). The open site, i.e. the one one does not need to subscribe to, of marinetraffic does not give all parts of the journey from Cologne to Nuremberg. Some info is hours out of date due to when the ships signalled. But it is nevertheless a helpful site for your journey I find.

The headroom for ships on the Main-Danube-Canal is 6m from water level to bridge underside (with some bridges curving down towards the pillars on both sides of the embankment. Quite rightly steamboats has pointed out that the Canal is entirely controlled - and partly fed by reservoirs - so she seems to be confident that this means there are no problems with the bridges under normal circumstances. I am happy to go with that. Ships are higher than 6m, of course, but then there is the draft to deduct from it. Sounds good to me, as I said, I am not familiar with the Main and the Canal shipping specifics.

You will enter the Main upstream from Koblenz at Mainz: 49°59'39.4"N 8°17'34.9"E 49.994280, 8.293035 It is called the Mainspitze, i.e. the mouth of the Main and a viewing area it seems.

Saying that there is "flooding somewhere between Koblenz and Nuremberg" is a little vague, by the way... The flooding would not worry me too much, as steamboats said it is curently falling (yesterday) and is likely to rise depending on how the river reacts to the rain which might not be much at all, but the vague info would make me a little more nervous (i.e. giving passengers too little info), but then I can relate geographically to the area. Perhaps most people unfamiliar with German geography are happy with the info, from the crew's experience.

notamermaid

ohoh, slight misunderstanding, I did not mean this directed at you anyway, steamboats. Just reffering to the overall situation and the info supplied onboard for the friend.

Hope you get some nice treats for Nikolaus and snow only when it is convenient. Nothing left of any snow we had here in my mild Rhine valley and the sky is surprisingly blue this morning.

notamermaid

Snow is almost gone over here too! Not sure whether a new dishwasher and freezer/frigde which I´ve bought more than two weeks ago and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow can be regarded as a Nikolaus treat ;). Not sure whether Media Markt will add a chocolate Nikolaus (for the long wait).

steamboats