Best food in Midtown Manhattan

blusun

My husband and I will be in midtown Manhattan for a very quick overnight stay before our ncl breakaway trip. We are coming in on Amtrak to Penn station in the early afternoon and staying at Hotel 373. We are looking to cram in a few touristy things that afternoon and into the evening. Mainly walking to times square, central park, Rockefeller center, then back to the empire state building.

Part of our quick tour and taking in the city is FOOD! I am looking for best true NYC pizza and pastries within a easy walking distance from these sites. I need lunch and dessert/breakfast and I want to make the most of it! I was also looking for a reasonably priced Irish pubs for dinner. Would love some input there as well. I was looking at Galways pub or Slatterys. Primarily due to proximity to hotel and we dont want to be walking far late at night and a little tipsy!

Thanks for any tips!

Best "true pizza" is like asking for the best barbecue in Texas...

On the path you're taking, I would tend to John's on 44th next door to the Helen Hayes Theater (between Broadway and 8th Ave). With your limited time, I'd probably do a late lunch when there will be little or no wait, then continue on through Times Square to Central Park, then back down Fifth Avenue to Rockefeller Center and on to the ESB. No recommendations on pubs in that area. We only head that way during the day, and it always feels like an area that would shut down a bit at night.

Are you planning to go to the observation deck at the ESB? I'd check the posts on Top of the Rock vs ESB. It's cool to say you've been to up the ESB, but Top of the Rock actually gives you a view of the ESB, which you really can't get anywhere else in Manhattan (other than probably the new Freedom Tower).

I live in NYC and I'm happy to help.

My advice is to take a 5-10 min cab ride and get out of midtown. It tends to be tourist traps and chains. Go to the West Village and try either John's or Joe's... They are both great and Classic NY spots. They are also both cash only so make sure to hit an ATM.

If you have time, take a cab to the BK bridge and walk across the bridge, then stop at Garmaldi's. This a bit touristy but it's a great environment and you can't beat the scenery.

"True NYC Pizza" is a $1 slice on a paper plate at any corner stop at 1am :)

Edited to add:

Oh and my preference is Top of the Rock vs ESB. Shorter lines and the same view. Plus you can actually see the ESB from TOR

Feel free to message me with any other NY questions!

Edited by ashirene225

We are looking at doing lunch at Serendipity on Sun.Oct.4. Is 11:30(when they open) a good time? We are making reservations.

Thanks

I actually have not been there. If they are open at 11:30 and they accept your reservation, I think it's a good time :) Enjoy!

My advice is to take a 5-10 min cab ride and get out of midtown. It tends to be tourist traps and chains. Go to the West Village and try either John's or Joe's... They are both great and Classic NY spots. They are also both cash only so make sure to hit an ATM.

If you have time, take a cab to the BK bridge and walk across the bridge, then stop at Garmaldi's. This a bit touristy but it's a great environment and you can't beat the scenery.

We keep planning to go to John's in the Village and/or walk over the bridge to Grimaldi's, but never quite get around to it. As I understand it, John's (the original Bleecker Street location) is now totally separate from John's of Times Square, which I agree is touristy, but still serves a great pizza. And Grimaldi's has turned into a national chain...

We keep planning to go to John's in the Village and/or walk over the bridge to Grimaldi's, but never quite get around to it. As I understand it, John's (the original Bleecker Street location) is now totally separate from John's of Times Square, which I agree is touristy, but still serves a great pizza. And Grimaldi's has turned into a national chain...

OMG, thank you for correcting my spelling. i was on about 4 hours sleep when I typed that. Going back to edit now :)

The pizza is the same, but you can't beat the atmosphere of the West Village.

And for Grimaldi's, the Brooklyn Bridge experience is nice. It all depends on convenience, i guess!

OMG, thank you for correcting my spelling. i was on about 4 hours sleep when I typed that. Going back to edit now :)

The pizza is the same, but you can't beat the atmosphere of the West Village.

And for Grimaldi's, the Brooklyn Bridge experience is nice. It all depends on convenience, i guess!

Well, we were thinking SOHO/Village and/or Brooklyn Bridge on Thursday, but with the weather forecast, ended up at the Museum of Natural History.

AND, our train was on Friday at 3:35, so we missed the parade that we were both dying to see! Couldn't DeBlasio have scheduled the ticker tape parade on Thursday instead of Friday!

Oh, and back to the OP's other question: Zaros! Penn Station, Grand Central (Market Place. Best Location.). Great baked goods, and the ultimate NYC treat: Black and White Cookies! If you can't find what you're looking for in the Grand Central Market Place, it doesn't exist!

Oh, and back to the OP's other question: Zaros! Penn Station, Grand Central (Market Place. Best Location.). Great baked goods, and the ultimate NYC treat: Black and White Cookies! If you can't find what you're looking for in the Grand Central Market Place, it doesn't exist!

You beat me to it! Black and whites from Zaro's. Must eats in NY!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
I live in NYC and I'm happy to help.

"True NYC Pizza" is a $1 slice on a paper plate at any corner stop at 1am :)

Edited to add:

Oh and my preference is Top of the Rock vs ESB. Shorter lines and the same view. Plus you can actually see the ESB from TOR

Feel free to message me with any other NY questions!

Question.

What is the usual cost for those quick cab rides? It may be worth it to save time for someone on a limited time schedule. Would much rather spend my time at actual sites as opposed to walking to them and much easier on this " not so young" body. ;)

Edited by midwestchick

We love Angelo's in 53rd and Broadway , small place great pizza and good service I prefer that over John's. For dessert try Ellen's stardust dinner, fun place with great deserts and singing waiters that are very entertaining they are out of work Broadway actors, this is on 50th and Broadway so both are walking distance. ( ex-new yorker who visits every year and always stays Midtown. )

Question.

What is the usual cost for those quick cab rides? It may be worth it to save time for someone on a limited time schedule. Would much rather spend my time at actual sites as opposed to walking to them and much easier on this " not so young" body. ;)

I hear you! Taxis and Uber depend on so many things, namely traffic and how long you sit in it. I would estimate $15-20 and be pleasantly surprised if it's cheaper :)

If you're looking at the West Village, you can also easily take the subway from midtown to Christopher Street. Its the 1 train and you can find a map and info at http://www.mta.info

The subway is $2.75 per person, per ride and is very easy.

I hear you! Taxis and Uber depend on so many things, namely traffic and how long you sit in it. I would estimate $15-20 and be pleasantly surprised if it's cheaper :)

If you're looking at the West Village, you can also easily take the subway from midtown to Christopher Street. Its the 1 train and you can find a map and info at http://www.mta.info

The subway is $2.75 per person, per ride and is very easy.

We normally spend 95 percent of out time midtown, Broadway shows etc, once my wife wanted to take a taxi about a little less than a mile away and it was rush hour , we would have gotten there much quicker if we walked. Try to avoid taxi from 5pm to 6pm

OP there are plenty of good food places in midtown where you can walk to not spend time going to another part of town since your stay is short. Believe or not plenty of folks live in midtown and there are plenty of neighborhood places. Depending on what type of food you are looking for and whereabouts you will be we can help you narrow it down. Generally speaking 9th Avenue on the Westside or 3rd Avenue on the Eastside house many neighborhood eateries

It looks like I need to focus more on Midtown West.

What about public restrooms in that area?

There must also be times to avoid besides 5:00-6:00.

I'm not worried about finding something to eat. We always manage and as someone mentioned, there are lots of little places.

I'm thinking now, once we finish the SOL and Ellis Island, maybe we should just skip the Financial district and go directly to Midtown from Battery Park. That may be somewhere around 2:00.

I'm not worried about finding something to eat. We always manage and as someone mentioned, there are lots of little places.

I'm thinking now, once we finish the SOL and Ellis Island, maybe we should just skip the Financial district and go directly to Midtown from Battery Park. That may be somewhere around 2:00.

Really need to at least stop at World trade center reflecting pools which is walking distance to battery park, if you add the museum you need almost 2 hours and should get tickets, but plaza with the reflecting pools is now free.

Really need to at least stop at World trade center reflecting pools which is walking distance to battery park, if you add the museum you need almost 2 hours and should get tickets, but plaza with the reflecting pools is now free.

You're right. I had forgotten about the WTC. We aren't planning on doing the museum....too heartbreaking.

What do you want to see in Midtown?

As George says, it's a reasonable walk from the Battery to the 9/11 Memorial, and you can do it via Broadway through the Financial District and past Trinity Church. If you're there already, I'd highly recommend doing it. It also takes you through the Canyon of Heroes, documenting the ticker tape parades including Lindbergh, Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins, and most recently, the 2015 Women's World Cup champions.

In Midtown, Top of the Rock and ESB are open late. Most of Fifth Avenue is open late. Times Square never really sleeps (bathrooms in M&M World). Etc.

What do you want to see in Midtown?

As George says, it's a reasonable walk from the Battery to the 9/11 Memorial, and you can do it via Broadway through the Financial District and past Trinity Church. If you're there already, I'd highly recommend doing it. It also takes you through the Canyon of Heroes, documenting the ticker tape parades including Lindbergh, Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins, and most recently, the 2015 Women's World Cup champions.

In Midtown, Top of the Rock and ESB are open late. Most of Fifth Avenue is open late. Times Square never really sleeps (bathrooms in M&M World). Etc.

It looks like the museum is .6 mile from Battery Park. Very doable.

?gws_rd=ssl#q=What+is+the+distance+from+Battery+Park+to+the+911+memorial Oops...darn map didn't show up.

I also want to see St. Patrick's, ESB, Rockefeller Center, and Times Square.

The good thing about being open late is we're in no hurry to rush back and if we didn't want to deal with the subway, we could taxi back to Jersey City. Traffic won't be so bad then. That means we could see the top of the Rock and the top of ESB.

Edited by midwestchick

?gws_rd=ssl#q=What+is+the+distance+from+Battery+Park+to+the+911+memorial Oops...darn map didn't show up.

The good thing about being open late is we're in no hurry to rush back and if we didn't want to deal with the subway, we could taxi back to Jersey City. Traffic won't be so bad then. That means we could see the top of the Rock and the top of ESB.

Rockefeller Center is directly across Fifth Avenue from St Patrick's. You can take the subway from Rockefeller Center to Times Square. It is very doable to walk but if you have walking problems take subway. After Times Square you can take the subway or walk to Empire State Building. Not far from Empire State Building is the Path Entrance next to JC Penneys. Now when I say not far, that is for the average person. If one has mobility issues then maybe a door to door tour or cabbing it door to door would be better. Remember that finding an elevator or escalator in the subways is not easy. So going up and down flights of steps is necessary also.

Another place 2 blocks from battery park is Frances Tavern ( where George Washington gave farewell address) , I worked across the street from this place for 10 years and only went to it couple of months ago, that's also a nice place for drink and you can get lunch there also. Trinity church as mentioned is interesting it has a cemetery that has people from Revolutionary war

FYI, you're unlikely to be able to take a taxi back to Jersey City. NY City taxis are not required to take you to NJ, with the exception of trips to EWR. If you could find a taxi willing to make the trip the fare would not be regulated and the taxi driver may try to get you to agree to an outrageously high fare.

If you need a car to get you back to Jersey City, you should contact one of the car services such as Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com or Carmel Limo http://www.carmellimo.com . Another possibility is Uber, if you have their app.