AMA Paris & Normandy

CaroleLee

Hello to all,

After taking our 1st river cruise on the AMADAGIO- Spain & Provence-Wine theme we are hooked on AMA. Service, food, wine, excursions all were excellent. Now we are in the wishful planning stages for either AMA Taste of Bordeaux or AMA Paris & Normandy.

I've had success in finding reviews on AMA Bordeaux but cannot seem to loacte any reviews of AMA Paris & Normandy. Would appreciate info from anyone who has been on either of these AMA itineraries

Thx

Carole

We are booked for the March 30, 2017 departure from Paris. We booked based on itinerary and our past 2 AMA experiences (outstanding). We also looked seriously at Viking (they now dock at Le Pecq) and others. What date(s) are you considering?

I just posted on the River Cruise Ports page the following about what we decided for our pre and post-cruise hotels in Paris.

"For our March 2017 AMA cruise, we initially booked AMA's 2-night post-cruise package at the Pullman Montparnasse. We had stayed there prior to our first river cruise and enjoyed it.

In June, our TA sent us an updated invoice indicating the hotel had been changed to the Intercontinental Paris on the avenue Marceau. TripAdvisor reviews were OK.

We decided to do a little clicking around on our own and have decided to do independent hotel bookings, pre and post-cruise. We did not book prepaid/nonrefundable, preferring flexibility instead.

Pre-cruise, we opted for Hotel Gustave in the 15th ar., one night, quite close to where the ship will dock. Eiffel Tower views sound like a great way to start our adventure!

Post-cruise, we chose the Bradford Elysées - Astotel in the 8th ar. for 2 nights. Again we chose flexibility for payment and the rate includes breakfast. This will cost us one-third of what we had looked at through AMA. We don't need a city tour or an AMA rep's services.

We have been extremely happy with AMA's packages on past sailings and don't wish to give the impression that they fell short in any way. We think we are able to manoeuvre stops in this city on our own. Those $$ saved in hotel costs should certainly cover some fabulous restaurant adventures! And more!"

We are looking VERY forward to our next AMA sailing!

A friend's son is presenting his wine on a November wine cruise in Bordeaux this year. These will be wines from Notaviva Vineyard in Virginia.

He did it last year on the Danube., also in November. I herd it went quite well.

Good luck with choosing one.

Jane

We are booked for the March 30, 2017 departure from Paris. We booked based on itinerary and our past 2 AMA experiences (outstanding). We also looked seriously at Viking (they now dock at Le Pecq) and others. What date(s) are you considering?

I just posted on the River Cruise Ports page the following about what we decided for our pre and post-cruise hotels in Paris. quote]

Where is the River Cruise Ports page?

Thank you,

Patti

Where is the River Cruise Ports page?

Thank you,

Patti

Scroll up to the top of this page [between the two large Q&A boxes] and you will see a link to River Cruise Ports. It's a parallel forum to this one for threads discussing ports specifically.

Hello to all,

After taking our 1st river cruise on the AMADAGIO- Spain & Provence-Wine theme we are hooked on AMA. Service, food, wine, excursions all were excellent. Now we are in the wishful planning stages for either AMA Taste of Bordeaux or AMA Paris & Normandy.

I've had success in finding reviews on AMA Bordeaux but cannot seem to loacte any reviews of AMA Paris & Normandy. Would appreciate info from anyone who has been on either of these AMA itineraries

Thx

Carole

We took the Paris to Normandy cruise on the Ama Legro in the fall of 2013. It was a great cruise. Highlights were Monet's home and gardens in Giverny, Honfleur, Rouen and the American Cemetery at Normandy and Pointe du Hoc where the American Rangers scaled the cliffs. What brave men those were, truly the "greatest generation".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello to all,

Thx

Carole

CaroleLee,

We, too, are "hooked" on AMA. We've done the Danube and Paris & Normandy with AMAWaterways and loved both cruises. We are now planning our next cruise, the Douro River!

We really enjoyed the Paris & Normandy cruise. I will tell you that the Seine is not as scenic as the Danube.

The ports were great! I agree with dan4182 that Monet's home was truly beautiful. Visiting the beaches in Normandy and the Cemetery was very moving.

Choosing between Bordeaux or Paris & Normandy... why choose? Do one this year and do the other one next year! :)

Enjoy planning for which ever one you choose!

• 9 months later...

Please tell us all about it when you return. We are eagerly anticipating our September Paris-Normandy cruise, but haven't found very many reviews or comments about other peoples' experiences. Have a wonderful trip.

Cheryl

We are now in Paris and will board AMA Lyra June 15th to do Paris and Normandy.e0ba09e2e578ad00bd540ef6476392db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pls post impressions, suggestions etc. Doing this itinerary in July

Thx & have GREAT trip

Carole

My husband and I are staying at the Westin Vendome Hotel in Paris. We will start posting about our trip on Thursday.

Elyce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

Can't wait for your posts as we are getting excited.

We went to the hotel - intercontinental Marceau for the shuttle but decided to take a taxis to the pier earlier. Please note if you are leaving from the Intercontinental, you can walk down to the Arch of Triumph. We are sorry we missed it.

Once we got on the boat, we waited until 11:30 for a light lunch of pea soup, sandwiches and cookies. Signed up for special restaurant tonight.89d3ee593333a6ba98a536e9cbf56162.jpg67eb236686fd120bedbdee62bfec6ff2.jpgb13ed5d8542df2cc3e05aab852b3d5d8.jpg

We are now in Paris and will board AMA Lyra June 15th to do Paris and Normandy.e0ba09e2e578ad00bd540ef6476392db.jpg

Beautiful picture. We are doing the Paris Normandy cruise in August as well. Appreciate you taking the time to post a review as there are not that many posts on the boards!

Evelyn

E316, Thank you for all your postings. The daily schedule seems both full and flexile. I am becoming excited for our sailing, but still have more than 3 months to wait.

I have a logistics question: you mentioned a shuttle from the Intercontinental Hotel. Is this an AMA shuttle and is it available to people who are staying at other hotels? If so, do you know if we can drop our luggage early in the day, do some sightseeing and then return for the shuttle? Do you know what time the shuttle leaves the hotel for the riverboat? We are hoping to maximize our time that day, and the hotel seems more convenient than taking a cab to the pier.

Please keep your reviews/photos coming - enjoying them.

Cheryl

We did not stay at the Intercontinental but was going to the hotel just for the free shuttle. We were told that the hotel would not hold our luggage. Therefore when we got to the hotel we asked them to get us a taxi at our own expense to get to the pier. Once we boarded the boat they were happy to hold our luggage until our room was ready. While waiting some people did walk down to the Eiffel Tower or you could walk over to see the back of the Statue of Liberty.

Elyce810f34d61582253b3bac1e0b754274e0.jpg