September river cruise for newbies

Pirouette

We are not truly cruisers and most often do soft adventure trips, but river cruises have piqued our curiosity. We have time available in September. I have read that certain itineraries have issues with water levels and can turn into bus trips. That is something we would like to avoid. Our interests are sightseeing and culture, wine and good food.

Our few recent ocean cruises have been on Oceania, and Regent last September. Though the food and service on Regent was great, we felt at times that we were in a care home. In our late 50’s, we were some of the youngest passengers. We would prefer a mix of ages with active passengers and an all inclusive experience.

We would appreciate the expertise and experience of those who have enjoyed river cruises. We have been to France many times (and love it) but we are not as familiar with the Rhine or Danube. We are really open to anything that is active and at minimal risk of low or high waters. Suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to river cruising! I have prepared a number of Stickies at the top of this board that will be a good place to start your research. Briefly: the Danube is more prone to water issues than the other rivers you mention [stay away from the Elbe], and most river cruise lines that market to North Americans are quite inclusive [especially in terms of including at least one shore excursion each day]. The major differences between them are whether all alcohol is included or just wine/beer at meals, whether tipping is included, whether almost all shore excursions are included or just the basics, and the quality of the food and wine. The Sticky

River CRUISE LINE articles on Cruise Critic

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2415906

will help you compare the different lines [we used to have a handy PDF article, but the link doesn't work]. Also Berlitz River Cruising in Europe [probably available at your local library] will help you on all the issues you raise and many others you haven't thought of yet.

Pirouette,

first of all, hello and welcome to the world of river cruising. Our host jazzbeau has already given you the "essentials" to read. I have done many organized coach tours in the past (German ones are usually excellently organized) but before I took my first river cruise in 2013 I had been a DIY traveller for many years. I loved the experience of being pampered and looked after in a well-structured fashion for a week on the Danube river. Brilliant, I got to see places I would not have gone to on a DIY land trip.

As regards water levels. We tend to say here: "Go with the flow" there is nothing you can do about flooding or low water. There were few dreaded bus tours this year from what we have heard here on cruisecritic. September is not too bad a month either. It might effect you only for a few hours or for three days for example. Nobody will know until almost the last moment. All river cruise companies know this and for the most part have excellent plan B's, not always involving a coach tour/trip, but a ship swap (mostly Viking) or a short notice cancellation that often you decide on. Carefully read the terms & conditions and compare payment policies.

I would also recommend staying away from the Elbe, I think the Rhine or the Danube would suit you well. I am thinking of an active Avalon cruise with bike rides or an AmaWaterways wine cruise (they invite winery guys from the states onto their ships for lectures) for you.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid