Giotours or Thumbs Up for Puntarenas?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:00 AM.
Minnesota
2,451 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Trying to compare Giotours (8 in 1 Tour) and Thumbs Up (10 in 1 Tour) for an excursion in Puntarenas, Costa Rica in April. They seem very similar so just looking for personal recommendations or advice from anyone who has done one or both of these tours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Souvenir Memories...a photo blog of our cruises and other travels.

Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam 10/17 Photo Blog of our Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise
Norwegian Sun 5/17 Photo Blog of our Alaska Cruise
Norwegian Pride of America 3/16 Photo Blog of our Hawaiian Cruise from San Francisco
Carnival Glory B2B 3/15 Photo Blog of Carnival Glory Cruise
Coral Princess 5/14 Photo Review of Coral Princess to Alaska, Photo Blog of our Alaska Adventure!
Emerald Princess 12/13 Emerald Princess Review with Photos
Carnival Victory 1/12 Victory Review with Photos
Carnival Legend 8/10 Legend Review with Photos
Carnival Freedom 7/09 Freedom Review with Photos
Carnival Victory 8/05 Victory Review
Carnival Paradise 6/04 Paradise Review
Carnival Paradise 6/02
Washington
536 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
I did the Gio 8 in 1 tour just this last October. They were great. Excellent vehicle, outstanding guides, love those crocodiles, good lunch. Cruising again in January, and I've already booked a different Gio Tour. I have no experience with Thumbs Up.
Go Buckeyes!!!
1,106 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
We did the Thumbs Up 10 in 1 tour off the Coral Princess in Punta Arenas two weeks ago and they were excellent. I posted this on another travel bulletin board:

Excellent Cruise Ship Excursion
We were on their 10 in 1 tour for our Punta Arenas port stop on the Coral Princess. It actually exceeded our expectations and was everything that they advertised. The price and amenities were buch better than the ship's similiar excursions. It was a very good overview of the area. The included lunch was great and we saw numerous animals. It was $70 per person, we had people in a real nice 20 passenger Mercedes van. Our guide was Canadian who needless to say spoke perfect English.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chicago suburbs
6,313 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Just back from a tour with Gio Tours and I cant recommend them highly enough. The tour was the highlight of our cruise. OMG fantastic!!! We toured with them from 8 am to 4 pm. They took us site seeing, then we went on a long hour and a half boat ride to see sloths, birds, and many many huge caymans, then we went to a fruit stand to taste fresh fruits, and a sugar cane factory, and a store with free wi fi, and a local grocery store to buy coffee, huge bags for $4.00. They took us to a place for a huge buffet for lunch, included in the price. $69 pp. A great day, beautiful country, so many animals. Slouths would go on your shoulders for a picture is you wanted.
[email protected]
they even gave us a gift bag of coffee at the end of the tour! and they take credit cards as payment
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
E-Mail Nancy Here
Past Cruises:
Celebrity: Solstice, Eclipse, Millennium, Reflection, Summit, Silhouette, Eclipse & Silhouette
RCCL: Navigator, Enchantment, Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Quantum & Harmony
Carnival: Victory, Inspiration, Legend, Conquest, Liberty, Valor, Freedom, Dream, Glory, Breeze and Glory (Dec 2018)
Princess: Golden, Grand, Coral, Diamond, Caribbean, Ruby, Emerald, Regal, Royal, Regal
NCL: Norway, Sun, Star, Jewel, Getaway, Breakaway and Bliss (Dec 2018)
Disney: Wonder & Fantasy
HAL: Veendam, Maasdam, Veendam, Amsterdam
Costa: Mediterranea
MSC: Divina
San Pedro,CA
484 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Not to add MORE confusion or Choices, but we just got back from a Coral Princess Panama cruise and booked a private day tour with Mauricio of Jacamar naturalist Tours. Had a fabulous day walking the national park and finding some beautiful birds. Also went to a coffee co-op and did some shopping that we had requested. It was our second visit to Costa Rica and we wanted a company that catered to what we wanted. Jacamar Naturalist tours and specifically Mauricio did just that!
League City, TX USA
5,427 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Originally posted by bluehorizonlover123
Just back from a tour with Gio Tours and I cant recommend them highly enough. The tour was the highlight of our cruise. OMG fantastic!!! We toured with them from 8 am to 4 pm. They took us site seeing, then we went on a long hour and a half boat ride to see sloths, birds, and many many huge caymans, then we went to a fruit stand to taste fresh fruits, and a sugar cane factory, and a store with free wi fi, and a local grocery store to buy coffee, huge bags for $4.00. They took us to a place for a huge buffet for lunch, included in the price. $69 pp. A great day, beautiful country, so many animals. Slouths would go on your shoulders for a picture is you wanted.
[email protected]
they even gave us a gift bag of coffee at the end of the tour! and they take credit cards as payment
Do they require payment in advance or on the day of the tour?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises:
Island Princess, Apr 19

Emerald Princess, Oct 19

Past Cruises:
Golden Princess, Apr 18
Celebrity Equinox, Jun 18
Crown Princess Aug 17, Sep 17
Carnival Freedom Apr 2017
Liberty of the Seas Oct 2016
Pacific Princess 50th Dec 2015
Caribbean Princess Oct 2015
Golden Princess Feb 2015
Emerald Princess Oct 2014
Star Princess Jul 2014
Norwegian Sun Nov 13
Royal Princess Sep/Oct 13
Grand Princess 29 Dec 12 plus 4 others
Emerald Princess 17 Nov 12/27 Nov 2012
Disney Magic 13 Oct 2012
Pacific Princess 15 Nov 2011
Sapphire Princess - 23 Oct 2010
Crown Princess - 27 Mar 10 & 05 Sep 2009
Golden Princess - 26 Nov 2008 & 16 Dec 2006
Voyager of the Seas - 30 Mar 2008
Star Princess 03 Dec 2007 plus 2 others
Coral Princess - 29 Dec 2006
Radiance of the Seas - 9 Apr 2006
Tahitian Princess - Oct 04/Feb 2003
Old Royal Princess 4 times
Old Crown Princess 2 times
Old Golden Princess 1 time
Old Island Princess 1 time
Old Star Princess 1 time
Rhapsody of the Seas 1 time
HAL Veendam May 1998

SS Norway 1987
NCL 2 ships
And several other ships
Chicago suburbs
6,313 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by ssbeagle
Do they require payment in advance or on the day of the tour?
At the end of the tour
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
E-Mail Nancy Here
Past Cruises:
Celebrity: Solstice, Eclipse, Millennium, Reflection, Summit, Silhouette, Eclipse & Silhouette
Carnival: Victory, Inspiration, Legend, Conquest, Liberty, Valor, Freedom, Dream, Glory, Breeze and Glory (Dec 2018)
Princess: Golden, Grand, Coral, Diamond, Caribbean, Ruby, Emerald, Regal, Royal, Regal
League City, TX USA
5,427 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises:
Island Princess, Apr 19

Emerald Princess, Oct 19

Past Cruises:
Golden Princess, Apr 18
Celebrity Equinox, Jun 18
Crown Princess Aug 17, Sep 17
Carnival Freedom Apr 2017
Liberty of the Seas Oct 2016
Pacific Princess 50th Dec 2015
Caribbean Princess Oct 2015
Golden Princess Feb 2015
Emerald Princess Oct 2014
Star Princess Jul 2014
Norwegian Sun Nov 13
Royal Princess Sep/Oct 13
Grand Princess 29 Dec 12 plus 4 others
Emerald Princess 17 Nov 12/27 Nov 2012
Disney Magic 13 Oct 2012
Pacific Princess 15 Nov 2011
Sapphire Princess - 23 Oct 2010
Crown Princess - 27 Mar 10 & 05 Sep 2009
Golden Princess - 26 Nov 2008 & 16 Dec 2006
Voyager of the Seas - 30 Mar 2008
Star Princess 03 Dec 2007 plus 2 others
Coral Princess - 29 Dec 2006
Radiance of the Seas - 9 Apr 2006
Tahitian Princess - Oct 04/Feb 2003
Old Royal Princess 4 times
Old Crown Princess 2 times
Old Golden Princess 1 time
Old Island Princess 1 time
Old Star Princess 1 time
Rhapsody of the Seas 1 time
HAL Veendam May 1998

SS Norway 1987
NCL 2 ships
And several other ships
728 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
[email protected]
What was the name of the tour you took with them if I might ask? We will be in port from 7:00 AM until 5:00 PM. The slouth comment is what sold me. I have that on my bucket list to see a sloth up close and personal. I like that I could get a picture with one. Anything else you can recommend I would love to hear. Thank you in advance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you don't take the leap and do the things you put on your bucket list. It might become to late and you will never get to do it. So, take that step!! Reach for the stars!
Each time I am blessed to take a trip. My Bucket List gets smaller. Here's to following our dreams and enjoy life!!!

Chicago suburbs
6,313 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by lillulu
What was the name of the tour you took with them if I might ask? We will be in port from 7:00 AM until 5:00 PM. The slouth comment is what sold me. I have that on my bucket list to see a sloth up close and personal. I like that I could get a picture with one. Anything else you can recommend I would love to hear. Thank you in advance.
Which other islands are you visiting?

Gio Tours is the 8 in 1 tour.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
E-Mail Nancy Here
Past Cruises:
728 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Which other islands are you visiting?

Gio Tours is the 8 in 1 tour.
Thank you. I've contacted them.

We start in Ft Lauderdale, Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas), Costa Rica, Cartagena, Colombia, Enter Panama Canal Cristobal, Corinto, Nicaragua, Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala, Huatulco, Mexico, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, and we end in San Diego, California.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you don't take the leap and do the things you put on your bucket list. It might become to late and you will never get to do it. So, take that step!! Reach for the stars!
Each time I am blessed to take a trip. My Bucket List gets smaller. Here's to following our dreams and enjoy life!!!

Chicago suburbs
6,313 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by lillulu
Thank you. I've contacted them.

We start in Ft Lauderdale, Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas), Costa Rica, Cartagena, Colombia, Enter Panama Canal Cristobal, Corinto, Nicaragua, Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala, Huatulco, Mexico, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, and we end in San Diego, California.
I have four for you. The other islands we just went with the flow.

Costa Rica - Gio Tours 8 in 1 $69 pp. included lunch.
Cartagena - with Dora - [email protected] $65 pp
Nicaragua - Julio Tours - $60 pp included lunch
Guatemala we did a ship tour, as the roads are very narrow, and traffic is terrible, and we didn't want to chance missing the ship, if traffic was horrible getting back to the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
E-Mail Nancy Here
Past Cruises:
728 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
I have four for you. The other islands we just went with the flow.

Costa Rica - Gio Tours 8 in 1 $69 pp. included lunch.
Cartagena - with Dora - [email protected] $65 pp
Nicaragua - Julio Tours - $60 pp included lunch
Guatemala we did a ship tour, as the roads are very narrow, and traffic is terrible, and we didn't want to chance missing the ship, if traffic was horrible getting back to the ship.

Thank you Nancy. I appreciate it. I will look into these to see if they are something we are interested in doing. I appreciate all of the information.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature