Current input of cruisers to this port?

nini

Do you know how much it was to take a taxi from the port to get to Maho? We were there about a year ago and noticed that at least some of them were charging according to how many were in your group, so if we said there was only two of us, the charge per person was more than if there was a larger group of people.

I did not walk around Margot, but walked multiple times between the pier and downtown Phillipsburg, and felt safe all the time. The water taxi was running, but we did not use it. We went on the boardwalk, and Front st without any problems. We did not venture further only because the weather was bad. All the people we talked to were as friendly as always, and were interested in repairing and moving on. Shops, bars and restaraunts that were not open were being worked on. Safety was never an issue for us.

Regards,

Mike

When walking instead of the water taxi, is there vendors, shopping along the way?

Thanks

When walking instead of the water taxi, is there vendors, shopping along the way?

Thanks

The original post you quoted was not from me, however, we did walk to the boardwalk area from the ship. There were no vendors or shopping along the road. On the way THERE we didn't see the turnoff to get easily to the beach. We just walked into town. There WERE shops open in town. On the way BACK, we could more easily find our way with less time on the road. I'm pretty sure there was an area around the little bridge that had vendors.

There were women selling things along the beach also. They asked, but were not aggressive. They had hats and cover-ups mostly.

Hope this helps. Others might have a different perspective. We had never done this.

Renee

Do you know how much it was to take a taxi from the port to get to Maho? We were there about a year ago and noticed that at least some of them were charging according to how many were in your group, so if we said there was only two of us, the charge per person was more than if there was a larger group of people.

The taxi rate is based on 4 people per taxi, so if there are two people in your group, the rate will be more than if there are four. And taxi drivers will not create groups, so two groups of two will each pay a higher rate than one group of four.

We took the bus ($2 per person each way), so I can't give a definitive answer on how much the taxi rate is, but I did talk to someone who said they paid $8 per person (group of 4) from the pier to Maho Beach. If you walk into town and catch a taxi there, I think the rate drops to $7 or $6 per person. But ask the driver ahead of time just to confirm.

The original post you quoted was not from me' date=' however, we did walk to the boardwalk area from the ship. There were no vendors or shopping along the road. On the way THERE we didn't see the turnoff to get easily to the beach. We just walked into town. There WERE shops open in town. On the way BACK, we could more easily find our way with less time on the road. I'm pretty sure there was an area around the little bridge that had vendors.

There were women selling things along the beach also. They asked, but were not aggressive. They had hats and cover-ups mostly.

Hope this helps. Others might have a different perspective. We had never done this.

Renee[/quote']

Thank you , that helps, we will probably do the water taxi.

The taxi rate is based on 4 people per taxi, so if there are two people in your group, the rate will be more than if there are four. And taxi drivers will not create groups, so two groups of two will each pay a higher rate than one group of four.

We took the bus ($2 per person each way), so I can't give a definitive answer on how much the taxi rate is, but I did talk to someone who said they paid $8 per person (group of 4) from the pier to Maho Beach. If you walk into town and catch a taxi there, I think the rate drops to $7 or $6 per person. But ask the driver ahead of time just to confirm.

We will be in St maarten at the end of the month and we're planning to go to maho beach. We will have a 10 mos old, 7, 8 yr old. The 2 older kids won't need carseats but the baby does. We are bringing our own carseat, Wondering if the taxis have seat belts? We are a family of 5, Will we fit in a cab? And how far is the drive?

We will be in St maarten at the end of the month and we're planning to go to maho beach. We will have a 10 mos old, 7, 8 yr old. The 2 older kids won't need carseats but the baby does. We are bringing our own carseat, Wondering if the taxis have seat belts? We are a family of 5, Will we fit in a cab? And how far is the drive?

Taxi’s are vans and they have seatbelts.

The ride is traffic dependent. It should be less than 30 minutes.

bfamily4, not sure what day you will be there but on certain days there are some huge planes. If you are there when an exceptionally large air France plane or other very large plane passes overhead, you had better have your things WELL secured. I have seen from a boat just off the beach what happens. Towels, hats, sunglasses, even chairs sometimes go flying! The local and experienced beachgoers know this will happen so are prepared but newbies don’t realize just how powerful the jet wash can be from the largest planes that pass over this beach.

bfamily4, not sure what day you will be there but on certain days there are some huge planes. If you are there when an exceptionally large air France plane or other very large plane passes overhead, you had better have your things WELL secured. I have seen from a boat just off the beach what happens. Towels, hats, sunglasses, even chairs sometimes go flying! The local and experienced beachgoers know this will happen so are prepared but newbies don’t realize just how powerful the jet wash can be from the largest planes that pass over this beach.

thanks for the tip. We are planning to be there Jan. 31 so hopefully there will be a couple of huge planes for us to see.

thanks for the tip. We are planning to be there Jan. 31 so hopefully there will be a couple of huge planes for us to see.

Looks like you will have the now standard 3 flights (JetBlue @ 1:52, Delta @ 2:55, and American @ 4:00) on the 31st. The link below will give you arrival and departure times, just change the departure airport to SXM and the arrival airport to (NY, ATL, MIA) to see when the planes take off.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=ATL;t=SXM;d=2018-01-31;r=2018-01-31;tt=o;s=0

Securing your stuff on the beach is very good advice, particularly for take-offs. The pilots enjoy going to the end of the runway and revving their jet engines and blowing blankets, umbrellas, towels, and young children into the ocean.

Looks like you will have the now standard 3 flights (JetBlue @ 1:52, Delta @ 2:55, and American @ 4:00) on the 31st. The link below will give you arrival and departure times, just change the departure airport to SXM and the arrival airport to (NY, ATL, MIA) to see when the planes take off.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=ATL;t=SXM;d=2018-01-31;r=2018-01-31;tt=o;s=0

Securing your stuff on the beach is very good advice, particularly for take-offs. The pilots enjoy going to the end of the runway and revving their jet engines and blowing blankets, umbrellas, towels, and young children into the ocean.

THX so much for the info on the planes. Kids are looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks

There are no vendors along the road per se. There may be some stores open, but not tourist type of stores. If you take the shortcut through the marina, there are some places there, like GreenTree, but not much. The water taxi will get you there quicker. My original intention of walking to town was to mention that I felt the island was as safe as it ever was.

Regards,

Mike