Boarding time - Zuiderdam from Vancouver

MissKo

Hi all, I know there are a lot of threads about optimal boarding time. I'm on the Zuiderdam inside passage cruise that commences in early September. The ship that leaves Vancouver at 5pm (the boarding passes list 12noon as the embarkation time). I was planning to spend as much time exploring lovely Vancouver as possible.

If I board late, how much time should I budget for embarkation procedures? What is involved? Security? Customs? Registration? Something else? What is the latest folks have boarded for a 5pm sailing from Vancouver?

I've read about folks boarding early to get lunch onboard and explore, but I figure I've got a week to do all that. I would board early if there is something I could potentially miss out on: I've read about reservations for cooking classes that often fill up. What other activities are only available for booking once on board?

If I do board early, can I leave the ship and explore the city and hop back on just before sailing?

I would like to avoid spending time waiting in lines. Are the lines shorter during early or late boarding?

Thanks!!

Hi all, I know there are a lot of threads about optimal boarding time. I'm on the Zuiderdam inside passage cruise that commences in early September. The ship that leaves Vancouver at 5pm (the boarding passes list 12noon as the embarkation time). I was planning to spend as much time exploring lovely Vancouver as possible.

If I board late, how much time should I budget for embarkation procedures? 30 mins What is involved? Security? Yes Customs? No Registration? Yes Something else? No What is the latest folks have boarded for a 5pm sailing from Vancouver? 3:30

I've read about folks boarding early to get lunch onboard and explore, but I figure I've got a week to do all that. I would board early if there is something I could potentially miss out on: I've read about reservations for cooking classes that often fill up. What other activities are only available for booking once on board? Wine Tasting

If I do board early, can I leave the ship and explore the city and hop back on just before sailing? Yes but you need to be back on board by 3:30 - 4pm

I would like to avoid spending time waiting in lines. Are the lines shorter during early or late boarding? Shorter lines boarding late.

Thanks!!

Have a great cruise in Alaska.

... how much time should I budget for embarkation procedures? What is involved? Security? Customs? Registration? Something else?
5 minutes tops once it's your turn at the counter if your OnLine CheckIn is all in order. They take your picture and give you your key card. Carry on luggage is scanned either in the terminal or on the ship (we've never boarded at VCR, so I can't say which) much like at an airport.

If I do board early, can I leave the ship and explore the city and hop back on just before sailing?

Yes - just be sure to be back by about 3:30.

The Muster Drill will be about 4:15 PM. I would be on the ship no later than 2:30PM.

I was on the Volendam a few weeks ago and although our departure time was 5:00 PM we let loose the lines about 4:45 and were on our way.

You absolutely DO have to go through a CBP check in Vancouver! Because you will be going into the US, they do pre-clearance in Vancouver before you board the ship. Many Canadian airports do this too, for flights to the US.

We got there just after 11 AM. Luggage drop, security, and HAL check-in were extremely fast. The line for CBP, however, was not. Took 45 minutes just to get through that. A large part of the problem is that there were only 2 officers on duty checking passports. Several more came on duty at noon and the line started moving more quickly.

OP, if you really want to explore Vancouver, either get there a day early or do it before you fly out on the last day. Otherwise, you're not going to have much time on embarkation day. If you get to the ship early, you'll be stuck in that lineup and if you get there late enough to avoid the lineup, there won't be that much time to get back off again. You may be alble to walk around the waterfront for a bit, but you'll have to be back by the 4:30 muster, if not sooner.

The Muster Drill will be about 4:15 PM. I would be on the ship no later than 2:30PM.

I was on the Volendam a few weeks ago and although our departure time was 5:00 PM we let loose the lines about 4:45 and were on our way.

The Zuiderdam did the same on my sailing. Caught us by surprise!

Spacepotatoes has it right.

Always go the day before, especially in Vancouver.

You would never arrive at the airport 1 hr before the

scheduled time of departure. It says in your cruise contract

that you can be denied boarding 90 minutes prior to sailing

if you haven't checked in. Ships like to sail early for the

tides going through the inside passage to Alaska.

Saturdays can be busy at Canada Place, so arrive before

noon or after 2:30pm to avoid lining up for US border inspection.

JC

Archived