Noro on Sun Princess

The usual 'beat-up' on the news.

Major disaster!! Maximum 200 passengers affected. This leaves 1800 not affected.

As always wash hands frequently and carefully, select food carefully, watch other buffet diners who may be using their hands to select food, avoid like the plague.

Was any research done to ascertain when passengers fell ill, after which ports and did they eat on land?

Of course not! :rolleyes:

They do. I had Gastro on a Princess cruise 3 years ago. I was required to complete a very detailed report including questions on what and where I ate over the previous 2 days, including onshore (Fiji).As a nurse I was very impressed how they handled the very minor outbreak and their infection control routine.

I did think that the reported number seemed very low to be making such media hype (that's why I gave the link). I would think something like 50% of passengers/crew falling ill would be newsworthy not this small number. I suspect that a small outbreak happens more often than is seen in the - given the number of people in close quarters there is bound to be illness.

I did think that the reported number seemed very low to be making such media hype

There was some previous publicity about a noro outbreak on Sun Princess in Fremantle recently.

I suspect that some press people have been following it and hoping for something bigger to report on.

When that didn't happen they went with what they had.

I did think that the reported number seemed very low to be making such media hype (that's why I gave the link). I would think something like 50% of passengers/crew falling ill would be newsworthy not this small number. I suspect that a small outbreak happens more often than is seen in the - given the number of people in close quarters there is bound to be illness.

Slow news day so time for another beat-up of the cruise industry? :rolleyes:

Slow news day will bring these articles to the fore.

Personally, I do think that 10% of the passengers getting ill is high (normally closer to 2-5% is reportable) and perhaps the Sun does have to reassess their processes once an outbreak occurs.

I've been on Sun during an outbreak and couldn't fault their procedures. However Noro victims can be contagious before symptoms appear, plus you always get the percentage of people who refuse to believe it's a problem: "It's just a touch of food poisoning" or "I think I'm seasick". Some even refused to stay in quarantine "I paid for this cruise and I'm going to get my money's worth!".

I've been on Sun during an outbreak and couldn't fault their procedures. However Noro victims can be contagious before symptoms appear, plus you always get the percentage of people who refuse to believe it's a problem: "It's just a touch of food poisoning" or "I think I'm seasick". Some even refused to stay in quarantine "I paid for this cruise and I'm going to get my money's worth!".

Yes, some people will not be told and have no regard for others :(

They do. I had Gastro on a Princess cruise 3 years ago. I was required to complete a very detailed report including questions on what and where I ate over the previous 2 days, including onshore (Fiji).As a nurse I was very impressed how they handled the very minor outbreak and their infection control routine.

Good to know.

Ironically the norovirus story of the week here has a twist. No cruise ship involved.

Hope nobody was too keen for oysters [emoji33]

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/89079117/mahurangi-harbour-oysters-recalled-due-to-gastro-bug-risk

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like Oysters whether raw or Kilpatrick style. :D

Smoked oysters are good too but they are so hard to roll.:p

If it's true noro then I understood you were so ill the only time you'd move from the bed was to get to the bathroom.

The issue is that prior to being severely struck down, the person is contagious and can be spreading the virus. The same can apply post illness when the vomiting and diarrhoea may have stopped but the contamination can still occur,

The first may happen without the person's knowledge, but the second happens due to people not wanting to miss too much of the cruise to the did regard of the other passengers.:(

Then honestly if I just had a weird tummy (pre noro period) then I wouldn't expect it to necessarily be noro. Everyone pretty much is susceptible to a dodgy tummy that is nothing to do with noro and I wouldn't think of isolating myself. Post noro - if it was noro then aren't you pretty much barred from exiting the cabin until you are no longer a health risk? Your cabin attendant would report any unusual 'activity' in the cabin and reckon the Doctor would be paying a visit if that was prolonged.

Then honestly if I just had a weird tummy (pre noro period) then I wouldn't expect it to necessarily be noro. Everyone pretty much is susceptible to a dodgy tummy that is nothing to do with noro and I wouldn't think of isolating myself. Post noro - if it was noro then aren't you pretty much barred from exiting the cabin until you are no longer a health risk? Your cabin attendant would report any unusual 'activity' in the cabin and reckon the Doctor would be paying a visit if that was prolonged.

True but if someone has an upset stomach and may have a vomit but not the other symptoms yet, they may be spreading the germs around. In any case, the best you can do is look after yourself, wash your hands well and often, don't eat with your fingers (or bite your finger nails, etc) and chances are you will be fine.

Noro can only be contracted by consumption as it is not an airborne contagion.

True but if someone has an upset stomach and may have a vomit but not the other symptoms yet, they may be spreading the germs around. In any case, the best you can do is look after yourself, wash your hands well and often, don't eat with your fingers (or bite your finger nails, etc) and chances are you will be fine.

Noro can be contracted by someone vomiting close by. If that happens close to you then you need to skidaddle.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20150819/norovirus-can-go-airborne-when-infected-person-vomits-study

It is if the person vomits, but it is not carried on the breath.

True but if someone has an upset stomach and may have a vomit but not the other symptoms yet, they may be spreading the germs around. I

But I think it's unreasonable to expect someone to stay in the cabin if that is the only symptom. I often get transitory tummy discomfort that has nothing to do with noro.