LOST picture ID! Sail in 2 weeks, now what?

Alimariecruisin

My understanding is that the state dept will now only issue the passport the same day for truly exigent circumstances requiring immediate travel, not for a vacation. Since the OPs cruise is not until March 10 (and they will be asked for proof of travel date to even have the on-site application done) they would most likely be given a second appointment to pick up the passport a couple days before the 10th.

Correct. The website says

Get a Passport in a Hurry

If you need your passport quickly, you can expedite your application.Please see our most up-to-date processing times. Expedited service is an additional $60.

When do you need your passport?

When?//Why?//Service//How?

Right now//I have a life or death emergency//Expedited//See our "Life and Death Emergencies" page

Less than 2-3 weeks//I'm traveling within 2 weeks or need a foreign visa within 4 weeks//Expedited//Make an appointment at a passport agency or center

Less than 4-6 weeks//(No reason needed)//Expedited//Expedite at an acceptance facility or expedite a renewal by mail

More than 4-6 weeks//(No reason needed)//Routine//Apply at an acceptance facility or renew by mail

OP has 2 weeks. Making an appointment at the acceptance facility to apply (and return a day or two later) is about the only option.

Edited by Shmoo here

I do not known if this would work but if you are in LA. Call the federal building . you can get an appointment in the morning and go back and pick up the passport in the afternoon . you have to pay for the service but it can be done. do not know what documents you need but maybe they can help you. (LA on Sepulveda and 405)

I do not known if this would work but if you are in LA. Call the federal building . you can get an appointment in the morning and go back and pick up the passport in the afternoon . you have to pay for the service but it can be done. do not know what documents you need but maybe they can help you. (LA on Sepulveda and 405)

This is exactly what you could do in Chicago 5 years ago.....and at that time it could be done at any of the major passport offices in the country. I do not know if this service is still available. Basically, you get a morning appointment, go to lunch, and come back and pick up the passport.

Yes' date=' the on line info says that expedited passports take 3 weeks. I can attest that regular processing, non-expedited are not taking 3 weeks right now. My friend applied for a new passport and I applied for a renewal. Each of them took 16 calendar days from filing to receipt of the passport. It was 4 days more till my old passport was returned. Obviously, this is still too long for OP.[/quote']

My daughters expedited passport took three weeks to arrive. She does not live in CA so maybe it was just her area.

I would try this suggestion.

This is very interesting to me, since a lot of Californians think of us as backwards hillbillies. We've figured out how to replace a license in under 2 weeks. I use my license as ID a lot and don't know what I would do if I lost it and had to wait weeks for another one.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

There’s quite a difference in population though. California’s is about 40 million, Tennessee’s is about 7 million. I’m guessing it’s simpler to replace licenses in a less populated state than a state with a huge population. Having a passport helps if you need another form of ID too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just looked up the number of licensed drivers by state. It seems that Tennessee has just over 5 million licensed drivers. California has over 29 million. Surely that must have some bearing on the different process. However, having worked for the State of California, I must concede that the state government can pretty much screw up anything they put their hand to.

Maybe birth certificate? I'm not sure but what do you use for children that don't have photo ID? Now I'm curious.

I believe one can indeed sail a closed loop cruise with an original, embossed, birth certificate. It may well be faster to obtain although I would personally be hustling my buns for a passport. Of course you may well need the birth certificate to get the expedited passport since you have no picture ID.

This is very interesting to me, since a lot of Californians think of us as backwards hillbillies. We've figured out how to replace a license in under 2 weeks. I use my license as ID a lot and don't know what I would do if I lost it and had to wait weeks for another one.

Roz

It's not a matter of "can't", but "won't":

Mailing is used to confirm the address; give them a bum address, and...

I believe one can indeed sail a closed loop cruise with an original, embossed, birth certificate. It may well be faster to obtain although I would personally be hustling my buns for a passport. Of course you may well need the birth certificate to get the expedited passport since you have no picture ID.

You need a photo ID with your BC.

The requirements on a closed loop cruise are an "original," state issued birth certificate AND a government issued photo ID. You are required to have a proof of citizenship document (the birth certificate) and proof of identity; a passport serves both purposes.

I don't understand why the license bureau can't look the person's photo up in the database and determine if th person in front of them is the same person. Show a birthday certificate and you're in business, whether you live at a bum address or not.

Roz

Don’t know if they do it in California, but in Texas my temporary license came with a picture. Had to appear in person.

Also apply for a passport. Too late for this cruise, but on the next,it’s a nice safety net if something bad happens, and you have to fly home.

To the OP, when you say your husband can't find his license, what exactly does that mean? Did he lose his wallet? Did it fall out of his wallet? When was the last time he remembers seeing it or using it. Sometimes retracing your steps can help locate a lost item. Sorry you're in this situation that doesn't seem to have a good solution.

Roz

If California is the same as here in Florida the only way to get a replacement for a lost DL is to order and pay the fee online and wait for it to be mailed.

Which Florida is that?

"United States Citizen or Immigrant: U.S. citizens and immigrants whose citizenship status is on their driver record may apply for a replacement license on line or at their local driver license office. "

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/replace.html

I once had to visit a fine florida office, as they needed additional documentation when they switched

to enhanced licenses.

While waiting for my delightful picture to be printed, I was seated among the other losers.

The guy next to me reeked of alcohol, which I thought was rather crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband just told me he can't find his CA Drivers Lic. Our next cruise is 2 weeks from today...we don't have passports...YIKS! I might be sailing alone???

Well...............first of all I would be trying to find that license rather than posting on line.....

Hid my Passport ...3 days before an Asia cruise...couldn't remember where I hid it....stayed up thru the night until I found it......at least I knew I could expedite it, by driving to LA the next day, if not located.

Edited by land lover

To all posters who do not live in CA why bother to post.....for us that do, we understand the concern of the OP...but a simple call to the DMV...gives the OP her options....and by the way who mentioned making an appt...get real..appt. for Drivers license..usually are scheduled out 3 weeks at least in Orange County...as another poster mentioned we are one big state, and have with lots and lots of fraud.......

Actually Princess requires an original birth certificate and an Approved picture ID card...this is always what we use since cruise only from California.

Which Florida is that?

"United States Citizen or Immigrant: U.S. citizens and immigrants whose citizenship status is on their driver record may apply for a replacement license on line or at their local driver license office. "

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/replace.html

I once had to visit a fine florida office, as they needed additional documentation when they switched

to enhanced licenses.

While waiting for my delightful picture to be printed, I was seated among the other losers.

The guy next to me reeked of alcohol, which I thought was rather crazy.

Sacramento – The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will begin offering the option to apply for a federal compliant REAL ID driver license or identification (ID) card beginning January 22, 2018 at DMV offices statewide. Californians may choose either a REAL ID or a federal non-compliant card.

And look how outdated CA is.....I just had mine renewed in November..no enhancement......so will I have to lug around my passport....who knows...? Should haven gotten that passport card.....

The federal REAL ID Act of 2005 was passed by Congress in response to the events of 9/11. Under the REAL ID Act, all states must meet requirements set by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for its driver licenses and identification cards to be accepted for federal purposes, such as boarding a domestic flight or visiting a military base or certain federal facilities, by October 1, 2020.

I don't understand why the license bureau can't look the person's photo up in the database and determine if th person in front of them is the same person. Show a birthday certificate and you're in business, whether you live at a bum address or not.

Roz

Because that’s not failsafe. People’s appearance may change, ie. hairstyle, hair color, facial hair, no facial hair, etc. Unless the database has some sort of expensive facial recognition system that can compare a person’s facial features to the stored photo then it’s too easy to fool an indifferent state government worker.

To the OP, when you say your husband can't find his license, what exactly does that mean? Did he lose his wallet? Did it fall out of his wallet? When was the last time he remembers seeing it or using it. Sometimes retracing your steps can help locate a lost item. Sorry you're in this situation that doesn't seem to have a good solution.

Roz

It's not in the house, he just doesn't remember where he used it last or if it fell out of his wallet while getting a credit card out...and he is spending the day back tracking places he went since last week.