Tableclothes

deborahjo

e x a c t l y

Just because things change doesn't always mean it's Good.

Sure I eat at lots of places that don't have tablecloths. But, I enjoyed the tablecloths on the ships. It just made things seem more elegant. All the cuts Carnival keeps on doing just keeps cheapening the whole cruise experience. For me, that's Sad.

The vast majority of nice restaurants that I've been to (at around $100/pp or more) do not have tacky white tablecloths. I am dumbstruck as to why is it that people complain about the lack of something so passé as tablecloths. To each their own I suppose.

One of our favorite restaurants has elegant black tablecloths and napkins. I prefer the black napkins because they don't leave that white lint on dark clothing.

or you can eat at Masa in NYC which is probably the most expensive restaurant in the country... maybe they are skimping on the tablecloths too

on the bright side, they don't allow tipping (but at about $500 per person ... I guess they build it in)

Yeah, that's who carnival is trying to emulate. Not tipping will get your head chewed off here.

:(

I found the lack of table cloth to be a total non-issue. I probably wouldn't have even put thought into it or noticed had I not read it here.

yes exactly this! who cares lol you're on vacation, relax

I like the tablecloths, it seems elegant and reminds me that I'm cruising. I especially remember when the staff would come around after every course and use the crumb scraper. They still do from time to time.

I've had the American table a few times and didn't really mind it but there is just something about the tablecloths that are special.

I like the tablecloths, it seems elegant and reminds me that I'm cruising. I especially remember when the staff would come around after every course and use the crumb scraper. They still do from time to time.

I've had the American table a few times and didn't really mind it but there is just something about the tablecloths that are special.

zzzzzzzz..... I'm on a CASUAL vacation, beaches, snorkeling, water sports, zip lines, parasailing, sleeping in, resting in the sun. What in the world does "fine dining", tablecloths, dressy clothes have to do with a vacation in the sun to get out of the gray gloom of most winters. Cruising IS NOT a trip back in time to an age when a first class passengers demanded royal service 24/7 and the most invigorating thing they did was tip their champagne glass. The world has gotten more casual (for the better in my opinion) and cruising is a bit behind the times...it needs to catch up, not revert back.

zzzzzzzz..... I'm on a CASUAL vacation, beaches, snorkeling, water sports, zip lines, parasailing, sleeping in, resting in the sun. What in the world does "fine dining", tablecloths, dressy clothes have to do with a vacation in the sun to get out of the gray gloom of most winters. Cruising IS NOT a trip back in time to an age when a first class passengers demanded royal service 24/7 and the most invigorating thing they did was tip their champagne glass. The world has gotten more casual (for the better in my opinion) and cruising is a bit behind the times...it needs to catch up, not revert back.

Why can't one have both casual and elegant on vacation? I like variety and Carnival gives me that.

Those who are still complaining about no tablecloths, I respectfully invite you all to invoke your right to protest by not sailing on Carnival in the future - Sure, that will teach Carnival (and make more room for the rest of us - shoot it might even bring prices down some). :D

I never understood why a piece of fabric on a table makes it "fancy." I enjoy American Table dining, with the jug of water on the table and a weird box of bread. After a long day in the sun, I need both of those things. I do not need a piece of linen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Because the dining experience on Carnival was so elegant prior to the removing of the tablecloths what with the neon lighting, waiters dancing to poorly-recorded pop songs, napkin-waving and crew dressed far better than the passengers in many cases all of which are still there.

Because the dining experience on Carnival was so elegant prior to the removing of the tablecloths what with the neon lighting, waiters dancing to poorly-recorded pop songs, napkin-waving and crew dressed far better than the passengers in many cases all of which are still there.

Sounds to me like your not talking about table cloths at all. The dining experience you describe is not changing. Like it or not....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds to me like your not talking about table cloths at all. The dining experience you describe is not changing. Like it or not....

I have no problem with it (well I could do without the dancing waiters). I know when we book Carnival what to expect. My comment was in response to those who say taking away the tablecloths makes the dining experience on Carnival less elegant. My point is that in my view it never was. We are fine with that.

I know I'm in the minority but just came of the Vista and this was my first cruise without tableclothes and I did miss them. (This was my 9th Carnival cruise) They do make it seem a little more elegant. Didn't help that the tables are already chipped and uneven on a pretty new boat. I do like to dress up for dinner and no I'm not stuck in the 80's as I'm only 38. BUT on the other hand I don't care what anyone else wears. They could wear their swimsuit to dinner for all I care. It doesn't affect me or my dining experience.

It also annoys me that Carnival is a large corporation so them getting rid of them under the premise of being for the environment but we all know it's for their bottom line.

And I also understand they won't ever be coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To me, this is all about current trends. Can only give my experience being from the Tampa, FL area, but outside of Bern's Steakhouse, none of my favorite Tampa area higher end restaurants use table cloths anymore. I'm talking about independent, chef or family owned restaurants, not chains.

Over time, things evolve and this is just one of those cases. The only evolution over the last 10 years that I really, really don't like is using a DJ anywhere but the dance club (which I avoid like the plague)

I have no problem with it (well I could do without the dancing waiters). I know when we book Carnival what to expect. My comment was in response to those who say taking away the tablecloths makes the dining experience on Carnival less elegant. My point is that in my view it never was. We are fine with that.

Well said!

I know I'm in the minority but just came of the Vista and this was my first cruise without tableclothes and I did miss them. (This was my 9th Carnival cruise) They do make it seem a little more elegant. Didn't help that the tables are already chipped and uneven on a pretty new boat. I do like to dress up for dinner and no I'm not stuck in the 80's as I'm only 38. BUT on the other hand I don't care what anyone else wears. They could wear their swimsuit to dinner for all I care. It doesn't affect me or my dining experience.

It also annoys me that Carnival is a large corporation so them getting rid of them under the premise of being for the environment but we all know it's for their bottom line.

And I also understand they won't ever be coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree with that. I think that they will make a comeback in a few years, not because they're elegant, but because it's cheaper than replacing a room full of chipped and battle scarred tables.

I disagree with that. I think that they will make a comeback in a few years, not because they're elegant, but because it's cheaper than replacing a room full of chipped and battle scarred tables.

John Heald actually had this topic this morning and he stated they won't be coming back.

John Heald actually had this topic this morning and he stated they won't be coming back.

He's actually been spectacularly wrong about stuff before. There's plenty of precedent. LOL

Not saying he's wrong about this, but, it's happened before.