Casual Attire question

Pinksunset

I’m on a Regent cruise right now and have worn black jeans or Dockers, with a nice shirt to dinner almost every night. Did bring a blazer for the formal optional nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dockers fit the dress code but obviously jeans do not. Guess no one has noticed yet.......

Ian Dury got it right:

“Every bit of clothing ought to make you pretty...”

It doesn’t matter whether it’s jeans or formal wear, as long as it fits well and suits you it will always be fine.

I was staying at a hotel in Italy where Sir Bob Geldof, was also staying. This was one of those places where one was expected to get a bit dressed up in the evening. Sir Bob turned up in a white outsize, open neck silk shirt and white linen trousers. It was clear that these were of the best quality and they suited his tall thin build very well. Even if the staff were keen on imposing the dress code, the fact was that Sir Bob actually looked better dressed than people in much more formal attire.

I’m on a Regent cruise right now and have worn black jeans or Dockers, with a nice shirt to dinner almost every night. Did bring a blazer for the formal optional nights.

One of the tricks my father taught me was that if you can’t pack trousers that aren’t chinos or jeans, make sure that you do pack a lairy jacket, like a pseudo mess jacket or striped blazer. The fact is that you will look very dressed up if you wear such a jacket with a crisp white cotton shirt and dark chinos or something similar.

Even if you do wear plainer blazer, put a brightly coloured kerchief in the breast pocket and you will have everyone convinced that you are dressed a lot more formally than you are.

One of the tricks my father taught me was that if you can’t pack trousers that aren’t chinos or jeans, make sure that you do pack a lairy jacket, like a pseudo mess jacket or striped blazer. The fact is that you will look very dressed up if you wear such a jacket with a crisp white cotton shirt and dark chinos or something similar.

Even if you do wear plainer blazer, put a brightly coloured kerchief in the breast pocket and you will have everyone convinced that you are dressed a lot more formally than you are.

Right on!

Just some suggestions for casual attire for Alaska cruises - and yes I know that they would not be after six attire. On May 6, we will be boarding the Mariner for our 6th Alaska cruise and found that the perfect daytime attire can be found on Amazon - stretch denim jeans lined with fleece or flannel and leggings lined with fleece or flannel. They are super comfy - just add a cozy sweater and you are set to go.

In Alaska, don't forget that it can be warm. We sailed in mid-May and had to purchase t-shirts at the tourist shops as it hit 80 degrees in Juneau. While that was an unusual temperature, nowadays, there could be a heatwave, a snowstorm or ??? Best to be prepared.

Also, IMO, Alaska has some of the least expensive jackets and sweatshirts that we have seen and they keep you really warm!

We were in Juneau in in 1974 and it was 86 and very humid and every big bug in the world was out and swarming we almost died as we were dressed for cold weather that was no fun. Could not wait to get back to the ship which was Sitmar Fairsea miss that great Italian food. We were in our late 20’s

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod

We cruised to Alaska last July and I don’t think it ever got above 60 degrees, mostly 40’s and 50’s and rainy some days. It was still incredibly beautiful and we had a wonderful time, but were very glad I’d packed layers, rain gear and gloves.