Sailing as a Family of 5

ireashmott

We last sailed on Carnival before we were married and had kids. Since then, we have always sailed on NCL and sail in their 2 bedroom family suite.

We are considering sailing on Carnival again and in particular are looking for a 2018 sailing in the Caribbean.

What ships and suites are best for a family of 5 (kids will be 6, 4, and 2)? I believe Carnival has no 2 bedrooms (feel free to correct me), so we are looking for a cost effective adjoining suites option or a large suite with a separate bedroom area option.

Thanks in advance!

The Vista has the Family Harbor Suites that sleep 5. Or you can always look into 2 connecting staterooms. Those are available in interior, oceanview or balcony rooms.

This above or possibly a deluxe ocean view. I would search for info on those 3 options. Vista Family Harbor Suites probably come as close as anything to what you're looking for.

We have 5 and get one interior room for the kids and across the hall either an outside or a balcony for my husband and I. Because my youngest was under 18 we had to register as one adult in each room. When we got on board, guest services switched us around where hubby and I were in the same room. Worked perfectly except the kids spent most of their time on our balcony. Lol

We have 5 and get one interior room for the kids and across the hall either an outside or a balcony for my husband and I. Because my youngest was under 18 we had to register as one adult in each room. When we got on board, guest services switched us around where hubby and I were in the same room. Worked perfectly except the kids spent most of their time on our balcony. Lol

We've been booking our 3 girls in their own cabin (next to us) since they were 15, 13, and 11. Never have had to do the switch.

OP I'm not suggesting that you consider that. I would look into connecting rooms.

We often sail as a family of 5, and have done several options:

1) Deluxe OceanView rooms sleep 5, and have 2 showers/sinks plus a mini-tub. Available on Dream and Vista class ships (Dream, Magic, Breeze, Vista).

2) On some ships you can get a cabin for 4 plus a "trundle" bed which is basically a rollaway bed. It's a bit crowded, but the bed is fine for kids and folds up during the day. We've done this on Carnival Victory, and it is available on some other ships as well (probably Triumph, maybe others).

3) On some ships, there is no non-suite cabin that can hold 5, so we get two cabins (usually nearby balcony and interior cabins) and mom/dad split up and take turns in the balcony/interior cabins!

4) Suites can often hold 5, although I've never done this, since getting two cabins is usually more cost effective.

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for the help and guidance!

And yes, I agree, our kids our very much too young to be across the hall. I figure, if they are not old enough to be home alone, then they cannot cabin alone.

I think we are going to do the connecting rooms. There is not a ton of them on each ship, but we are booking early enough that we still have options. The suites are either too small for us or too expensive.

It will be interesting to be back on Carnival after such a long break.

And yes, I agree, our kids our very much too young to be across the hall. I figure, if they are not old enough to be home alone, then they cannot cabin alone.

I think we are going to do the connecting rooms. There is not a ton of them on each ship, but we are booking early enough that we still have options. The suites are either too small for us or too expensive.

On the Spirit class ships (Spirit, Pride, Miracle, and Legend) they have extended balcony cabins in the forward part of the ship that connect to interiors. I believe they are on decks five, six and seven--there are six connecting cabins like this on each ship. This would give you two separate bedrooms and bathrooms without having to pay for two balconies or suites and bonus there's a door that shuts if you need some adult time.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

• 7 months later...
I'm sorry to bring up an older thread, but we are sailing on the Breeze in a deluxe oceanview with 5. I've looked online and have seen conflicting information about whether we will have 1 king and 3 twins or 5 twins. Anyone know for certain?

The Dlx OV rooms we have had consisted of the main bed(s) on the floor as king-OR-two-twins (configurable by room steward), plus two twin upper bunks that come down from ceiling (with ladders and rails), and a couch that converts into a twin.

I don't think the OP would put 3 kids ages 6, 4 , and 2 in a cabin across the hall from them.

Yah I agree on that

I think connecting is best as you can leave the doors open and not worry about them