Livorno & Marina Di Carrara to Pisa & Florence

gazpacho

During our cruise next July we will be docking at both Livorno and Marina Di Carrara. We plan to visit both Pisa and Florence (probably independently). The train from both ports to Pisa is fairly straight forward, so which Port would you advise us to go from ...... with the other being the day to visit Florence. Or should we take a "same day excursion" and do both in one visit leaving us the spare day to do something else?

We spent half day in Pisa from Livorno. It may probably depend on what you want to see in Florence to determine if it is practical to combine it on the same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cheers ! we may well keep them separate and do one from Livorno and the other from Marina Di Carrara. Just need to decide which is the best way round

Edited by gazpacho

During our cruise next July we will be docking at both Livorno and Marina Di Carrara. We plan to visit both Pisa and Florence (probably independently). The train from both ports to Pisa is fairly straight forward, so which Port would you advise us to go from ...... with the other being the day to visit Florence. Or should we take a "same day excursion" and do both in one visit leaving us the spare day to do something else?

The Italy forum is the best place to ask this question: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Both in one day is absurd - it would give you little more than the right to say that you have "been to" Pisa and Florence. Pisa (once you've seen the tower) has little to offer, but a stop there will eat up several hours, while Florence needs days, not the few hours a port call provides, to just get a taste.

I spent 4 days in Florence and did not have enough time. I absolutely love the city, especially during the off season, so I would not combine the two unless you really just want to walk around a little and get a feel for the city to prepare for a return trip. Though, even as a scouting or planning excursion I don't thing a half day would be adequate. Florence has so much to offer it would be a shame to not give it a full day. Honestly, if it were me I would skip Pisa and do two days in Florence.