Anyone been on Marquesas, and Tuamotus islands cruise

JAKUEHNLE

I was just on the PG Fiji to Tahiti ( end of May). And would love to take another cruise. What can anyone tell me about the cruise that goes to Marquesas, and Tuamotus islands. We like to snorkel, but don't see any listed in the PG ad for this trip. Yes Tom ;) I know you didn't like the Fiji trip, but we loved it and the ship.:D

It should definitely be on your PG bucket list. Not sure we'll repeat it, but we are glad to have done the Marquesas. Not much in terms of beach resorts, or shopping. Much more primative, which is the attraction.

There are not many excursions, but don't miss those that visit the ancient sites; especally if Mark Eddows is leading them.

You are on the open seas more for this run so I would recommend a low and midships cabin (what we do usually anyway...so we can go more often).

The other islands are what you already experienced...paradise.

I think that Marquesas are rougher so no snorkeling. But they are rugged and have their own charm. The people too are more warlike as are their songs and dances.

As Mtndriver said I am happy I went once but wouldnt go again.

Oh for us the Marquesas trip was magical! It was our fourth trip to the islands, and we had hankered after going there for years.

The reason why there is no snorkeling is that the islands do not have barrier reefs, i.e., they are "young" islands. But there's snorkeling when you stop in the Tuomotus.

Frankly, the grandeur of these islands makes up for no snorkeling (and I do love to snorkel.) And I would definitely go back there again.

I’m also interested in feedback on the 14-nite Marquesas, Tuamotus & Society Islands (OP hope you don’t mind the piggyback). How does the itinerary stack up against the shorter sailings? As far as I can tell, we’d miss Rangiroa (which sounds awesome) and have less time in Bora Bora. But of course, we’d get to Fakarava and have lotsa time in Marquesas. Any other trade-offs?

I know there are many PG alums here who have sailed many different PG itineraries & I’d really appreciate your insight. Which itinerary would you like to redo the most? This would be our first luxury cruise & first experience in French Polynesia, so we want to select the perfect itinerary!

I’m also interested in feedback on the 14-nite Marquesas, Tuamotus & Society Islands (OP hope you don’t mind the piggyback). How does the itinerary stack up against the shorter sailings? As far as I can tell, we’d miss Rangiroa (which sounds awesome) and have less time in Bora Bora. But of course, we’d get to Fakarava and have lotsa time in Marquesas. Any other trade-offs?

I know there are many PG alums here who have sailed many different PG itineraries & I’d really appreciate your insight. Which itinerary would you like to redo the most? This would be our first luxury cruise & first experience in French Polynesia, so we want to select the perfect itinerary!

I'm a bit confused by your itinerary summaries--first of all, Rangiroa is not awesome, at least in my opinion. I admit I didn't get to snorkel there, and perhaps if you're a diver it would be great.

Yes, on the Marquesas itinerary you spend less time in Bora Bora. They used to go to Rangiroa on this itin., now it seem they are doing Fakarava instead. I would imagine it would be just as nice as R.

For a first time, there is *nothing* like the 7-days Societies itinerary, plus a 3-4 night pre-cruise stay somewhere other than Tahiti. Period. I haven't done the 10 or 11-night itins, nor have I gone to the Cook's, so I can't comment. But this itinerary, as with the Marquesas, involves a fair amount of at-sea time, which is non-existent with the 7-day; you just sail from island to island in the evenings, very relaxing.

The ULTIMATE PG cruise is back-to-back 7 days, for a total of 14 days (with TWO visits to Motu Mahana!:D). As Wendy says, very relaxing and little time on the open sea.

For my taste, 7 days is too short. 10 is about right. I think I will like the new 10-day itinerary with 3 days and two nights on Bora Bora (although I don't have a clue about Fakarava:confused:).

I was just on the PG Fiji to Tahiti ( end of May). And would love to take another cruise. What can anyone tell me about the cruise that goes to Marquesas, and Tuamotus islands. We like to snorkel, but don't see any listed in the PG ad for this trip. Yes Tom ;) I know you didn't like the Fiji trip, but we loved it and the ship.:D

Hello Jakuehnle We do the Marquesas cruise and did booked already 2 snorkeling tours one with the sharks ! Melanie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wildcat its called the FP flu. Once you have it you are doomed for life and the only way to alleviate the sickness is a repeat visit. In 2004 we went on our once in the lifetime trip. Since then we have been 5 times and are booked for a 6th next year.

Listen, I would *love* to do the Marquesas again. Or the Societies, or the Cooks, or Fiji. Just bring it on. My flu is in remission right now, but there's no vaccine so recurrence is inevitable. If we can swing it financially, we will do this again once my husband retires I think, perhaps 2012 or 2013. Meanwhile I hang on reports from others.

It's been almost two years since my last PG adventure. It's been more than 10 years since my first trip. Between there were two others, one a b2b. So: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, you can see next number in the series should have been 2010, but oh well, the dates weren't right.

We first got the Flu in 2004. Since we hadnt taken our daughter we felt compelled to show her the beauty of FP in Feb 2005. Since then three other trips. We werent planning to go again once it left Regent and went for a farewell cruise last November. However, with all the excitement on this board and Mtn Driver's assertion that it was even better than before we took the plunge and booked for next year. Now I wll never say it is my last trip to FP. I will try to go every two years at the very least as long as I am healthy.

Wendy, I wish we didnt have the additional flight from Toronto to LA. While its great to be in Toronto when we have to fly to Eruope the extra hours makes it hard to fly to FP.

Wildcat I feel for you - we are lucky that all of us in the family hve the FP flu.

Wendy, I wish we didnt have the additional flight from Toronto to LA. While its great to be in Toronto when we have to fly to Eruope the extra hours makes it hard to fly to FP.

Yes, I know what you mean. We have usually stayed over night in LA on the way out. Luckily we have family there, usually manage dinner with them. But last time we flew straight through, since we were on the 4 p.m. flight. We decided we'd rather sleep off the jetlag at the Radisson.

But we broke the trip coming back by spending Xmas with the rellies.

Next time, if there is a next time, we will try to spend at least the night in LA again.

• 8 months later...

wildcat68

Sorry I didn't see your post before tonight.

Would be nice to see you again on this cruise. Maybe we could have dinner again in LA like last cruise.

I booked a hotel on Price Line but got the Sheraton Gateway, not the Hilton. Longer walk to C. Jr.

I have been working on the Oceania cruise that goes in 20 days , and find it hard to locate threads

on this site. Tell Mary this cruise goes to new islands as well as the good old ones.

John

Archived