1st Time Solo Cruising

stevenscott704

Hello All,

Newbie here. I am looking into doing my first solo/single cruise. There are so many options to choose from, I don't even know where to start. Can anyone recommend a great first cruise for a 47 year old single male. My preference is a Caribbean destination. I am not looking to go broke on this - Just a nice relaxing getaway!

Sorry if I am not providing you with much info!

Steve

I am 45 and travel solo often. I really like NCL the best. I would search for the Escape / Getaway out of Miami and look at a studio cabin. I really like the experience and they get together every night so you never have to eat dinner alone. I have always met lots of people and had a great time.

Be aware that most cruise lines will charge a single supplement price so you will pay from 175% - 200% more than 2 people booking a room. Sometimes you might find a line that is offering no supplement cruises but they are far and few between.

I am not sure that the quoted single supplement is correct. Rates you see posted are based on two per cabin. Someone traveling solo will pay the rate that would be in effect for two persons, or up to 200% of the single person rate. Example, if the rate quoted is $200/person and you want to go single, you may pay $400 for that cruise. :)

I've been considering a solo cruise too. From my research the best way to go for the most bang for your buck is going with NCL in their studio cabins. Only a handful of their ships have them. There are some bloggers I love that did a tour of the studio cabins and lounge, check it out. Just search Sea Cruisers channel on YouTube and look for a playlist of their group cruise and then within that you should be able to easily find the video.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Hello All,

Newbie here. I am looking into doing my first solo/single cruise. There are so many options to choose from, I don't even know where to start. Can anyone recommend a great first cruise for a 47 year old single male. My preference is a Caribbean destination. I am not looking to go broke on this - Just a nice relaxing getaway!

Steve

I agree w/ the experienced, wise comments below. Both NCL & RCCL offer solo cabins. They are very tiny. I have conducted many hours of research on sailing solo & these are really your best bet for price options. However, the earlier you book, usually the lower the price. I just booked on the RCCL Liberty of the seas for the April 29. 2018 sailing for singles thru VTG. it was affordable for me & I want to be comfortable, so I splurged & booked a deluxe cabin. It will be my first cruise & I want to be sure I enjoy it ! Spoiling myself cuz I'm worth it :hearteyes:

Hello All,

Steve

hi i just treated my self to a bday present of a first time solo cruise on royal Caribbean for 1260 total. Its 5 days to bermuda from nj may 26 to 31 2018. I am on deck 6

hi i just treated my self to a bday present of a first time solo cruise on royal Caribbean for 1260 total. Its 5 days to bermuda from nj may 26 to 31 2018. I am on deck 6

I strongly believe it really depends on where you're traveling from as well. Unfortunately for me, I'm in AZ, so I have to pay for a flight on top of the cruise cost. Your best bet is to find a trusted friend or relative to split the costs. If you can't, then save up for a year or 2 & then treat yourself to a vacation of a lifetime & spoil yourself!

Be aware that most cruise lines will charge a single supplement price so you will pay from 175% - 200% more than 2 people booking a room. Sometimes you might find a line that is offering no supplement cruises but they are far and few between.

No - a single person will likely pay anywhere from 150% to 200% of what ONE of two people booking a room would pay. And it is not 150%-200% MORE (which means two and one half times), it is 150%-200% OF (which means one and one half times).

It is best to call the cruise line directly when you're a solo traveler, that way you can get a true price quote directly from them.

I am going on my first cruise next April, and i will be cruising solo. I will post what I learned during the trip being a solo traveler. Even though I did pay more than I had planned, I am looking forward to it being a learning experience & fun adventure !

It is best to call the cruise line directly when you're a solo traveler, that way you can get a true price quote directly from them.

I've only cruised solo on Carnival, but no need to call; its easy to book on their website. When pricing cruises, just indicate one passenger and you will get the appropriate solo cost.

Hello All,

Steve

I might try Princess cruise line's Regal Princess. Great ship, and good food.

• 3 weeks later...

I solo-ed at the on the 9th of the month on the Carnival Imagination. I have been thinking about cruising for a few years and was near a port (Long Beach) for a wedding so I decided to take a 4 day to decide if I even like cruising. I rented a suite with a balcony, it was pricey but I have been traveling alone for years. I enjoyed the experience, enjoyed cruising and had fun and relaxed. I booked this through Costco and received a $200 cash card when I returned.

I just booked a cruise to Alaska next year on Saturday on Royal Caribbean as they had the 150% solo supplement (buy 1 get 1 at 50 off) and I also received a senior discount.. I was really just doing research when I saw the 2 day offer and took advantage. When I tested it on Costco Travel they didn't have the BOGO offer, but latter they did so I booked direct with RC.

A-

I hope to meet a lot of solo travelers on my first cruise in April of 2018. I am seeking a cabin mate for future cruises that I can depend on. It is tough to find someone you can easily get along with and share a small space with these days. But, I am hopeful that I will meet a few new friends to plan future cruises with.

• 3 months later...

Since my first Cruise in Nov.2014, i did another cruise in March,2017- to New Zealand on my own.I am a BIG boy. I am 66.y.o. and 6'4", and straight. .

But i am seeking a CABIN MATE, to do the 29 DAY CRUISE AROUND AUSTRALIA Departing Sydney on 30 Sept. 2018.

I am not having any luck finding the right Site to find a Companion to share a cabin and save on the 200% fare- if i went on my own.

So if you are thinking of the cruise ,Around Australia, Please make contact with me.A.S.A.P. Friends of mine have just returned from it - and loved every minute of it.

Please contact me via this site. Dave of Menangle.

I solo-ed at the on the 9th of the month on the Carnival Imagination. I have been thinking about cruising for a few years and was near a port (Long Beach) for a wedding so I decided to take a 4 day to decide if I even like cruising. I rented a suite with a balcony, it was pricey but I have been traveling alone for years. I enjoyed the experience, enjoyed cruising and had fun and relaxed. I booked this through Costco and received a $200 cash card when I returned.

I just booked a cruise to Alaska next year on Saturday on Royal Caribbean as they had the 150% solo supplement (buy 1 get 1 at 50 off) and I also received a senior discount.. I was really just doing research when I saw the 2 day offer and took advantage. When I tested it on Costco Travel they didn't have the BOGO offer, but latter they did so I booked direct with RC.

A-

If you book direct and then see a travel agency with a better price or better perks, you can usually transfer the booking as long as you are before final payment.

Edited by Liz54
typo

I have been cruising solo since 2008 and have done NCL, Carnival. RCCL, Celebrity. I currently have HAL and Princess booked. I have no problem with interior rooms so I have done balcony as well as interior. I have done the Studio on NCL and as a solo I think the room is big enough and it feel comfortable and there is the lounge. One of the things you have to do is compare. There are times that you can get a nicer room for 2 which gives you more room for not that much difference in price. I book anywhere from 1 year to 18 months out so I have plenty of time to pay it off without feeling a crunch. Then I go and enjoy because I do not have after vacation cost shock. Sometimes if you are really flexible you could also check last minute cruises but you generally do not have the same selection options for room choices. Personal opinion is look for at least a 7 day to give you time to find out if you like it and it gives you time to actually relax. As far as finding someone to cruise with I tried it once with someone I thought was a really good friend and would not do it again. Especially for me cruising is my time to do what I want when I want. I have had no problem meeting people if I want but can be alone if that is what I prefer. I have truly never had a bad cruise. Good luck on your search and enjoy each line has its pluses and negatives you just have to fine what is right for you. Variety is right for me.

Best experience I had was CMV, as lots of others also solo. But I also did P&O once as a solo, and got a great deal with a balcony cabin. Really liked it, but everyone time I've looked since the prices for solo occupancy have been higher than I've been willing to pay.

All pretty much have same get together's, and similar for solo travelers. I think it just comes down to whether you want a room designed for a solo, or are happier paying for for single occupancy in a standard room. I prefer the latter, as although budget is important to me I prefer having a bigger space.

In case this is important to you, I suspect companies that have solo rooms have a higher number of solos onboard i.e. not many want to pay large single supplements for a 'normal' room

I've been considering a solo cruise too. From my research the best way to go for the most bang for your buck is going with NCL in their studio cabins.

I disagree -- it might be the best value sometimes -- but not always, and not for everyone. As for least cost, sometimes the studio cabins on NCL cost more than sailing in a standard cabin on the same voyage (even paying the supplement). And as for "bang for your buck", it depends on what different passengers want and like. I believe the best value and bang for your buck is paying the low supplement and sailing on Crystal - it's not the cheapest, but it's a great value. I don't care about the solo passenger lounge, a solo coordinator or any solo gatherings, so I certainly would not pay extra for those. YMMV.

I might try Princess cruise line's Regal Princess. Great ship, and good food.

Good idea, go for fixed dining - big table. You will have same crowd, nice people (probably many solos on your table) to chat with at least once a day every day.

Regards John