JR train passes for Japan

someotherguy

Just FYI for those who are thinking about a JR train pass for Japan.

A JR pass barely pays off for Tokyo-Kyoto, though it will do so if you add some side-trips, or go further. And it is convenient, and it includes seat reservations (which otherwise cost about 600Y).

You can now make seat reservations for some trains on the web:

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticket/reservation.html?src=spmenu

The 7-day JR pass costs 29,110Y (or 33,000Y if you buy it in Japan, which you can do now) whereas the straight fare (which allows you to use the Nozomi trains--faster and more frequent) is 13,250 each way (from Shin-Yokohama, a bit more from Tokyo). You can check schedules and fares at http://www.hyperdia.com/ (the first number is what you pay, don't try to understand the breakdown into seat fee etc.).

There are many other passes that can be good for travel within an area: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html . The various Kansai passes are good for travel around Kyoto.

The cheapest fares between Tokyo and Kyoto (about 22,600Y round trip) are those sold by Japanican (part of Japan Travel Bureau): https://www.japanican.com/en/tour/list/?typecd=TOU&typegrpcd=TPA&kw=E-Voucher

Note: these are for unreserved seats. Personally, as a solo traveler, I prefer unreserved because the reservation agents always put me next to someone. The Shinkansen seats are arranged 2 and 3 and have plenty of legroom (Japanese people put their roller bags in front of their knees).

If you are visiting Kyoto at the beginning or end of your trip, it is often best (convenient and essentially free) to arrange an open-jaw ticket in to Kyoto (KIX or ITM) and out of Tokyo (NRT or HND) or vice versa. Or just buy a separate HND-ITM (or whatever) plane ticket as these are cheaper than the train and more convenient (if you are already at or going to the airport).

If you start or end further west than Kyoto (e.g., Hiroshima or Kyushu) it is often cheaper and more convenient to fly via Seoul as this is closer than Tokyo.

You can usually buy tickets for internal flights no earlier than 3 months before the flight. There are many low-cost carriers in Japan (Peach etc.) that do not show up on the usual booking engines (same as SWA in the USA). Use https://www.dohop.com to find them, then book on their own websites.

Edited by someotherguy
punctuation

Only a complete nimrod would buy a JR Rail Pass for a one-way trip between East and West Japan.

It is true that many flights have a cost similar to the same trip on Shinkansen. But time is a major factor here.

I can fly from Tokyo to Osaka for about the same price as the Shinkansen.

But from my house in Akasaka, a taxi to Shinjuku station and the Narita Express to the airport will cost me an additional $55 and add 2 hours to my travel time. Then I waste 2 more hours at the airport after I check in.

At KIX airport I lose another 1 - 2 hours and another $20 getting into Osaka on the train or ferry.

OR

I can take the train from my house to Tokyo Eki for ¥160. Travel time is 15 minutes. Wait time for the Shinkansen is 10 minutes.

The Shinkansen seat and experience is far nicer than an economy seat on any airplane.

At Shin Osaka Eki, I can catch the local train downtown for another ¥160 and be at my hotel in 10 minutes.

Total travel time for the flight (door to door) is around 6 - 7 hours, with an additional $75 in costs.

Total travel time for the train (door to door) is about 3 hours, with an additional $3 in costs. With a JR travel pass, the additional $3 are covered by the pass.

Many people do not seem to realize that the JR pass also applies to most buses and many ferries.

Only a complete nimrod would buy a JR Rail Pass for a one-way trip between East and West Japan.

And this would surprise you?

But I do agree, the pass is mainly for someone moving around a lot. Either running in and out of a base town or traveling around. If only doing 1 or 2 trips, it would be best to see what the cost is for individual tickets verse the pass.

And this would surprise you?

But I do agree, the pass is mainly for someone moving around a lot. Either running in and out of a base town or traveling around. If only doing 1 or 2 trips, it would be best to see what the cost is for individual tickets verse the pass.

I didn't mention being surprised. Why would you ask that?

There are many nimrods travelling these days.

• 3 weeks later...

If you take one or two train trips out of Tokyo, and use the Narita Express, you already have your moneys worth. Train travel in Japan can be really expensive. You should always go on the Hyperdia website and price your trips.

Some trains in Japan are now all reserved seats, so the tactic of not reserving seats does not fly in all cases.