Getting a Massage

yags

All right this might sound like I have been living under a rock all my life but I have never gotten a massage. I have decided that I will tick off this entry on my bucket list on our cruise to Alaska on the Grand departing June 25th.

Can those who do this give me a quick run down on the procedure and some dos and don'ts. Thanks. I am kind of embarrassed to ask but hey it is what it is. :eek:

It certainly is a lovely treat! Be prepared for a hard sell on the items they use on you or procedures they think that you need -- they are quite expensive.

Basically you will change into a robe (I keep my undies on) and be interviewed by the masseuse as to what you want to accomplish and any areas that need focus or not. (Think clothing is stored in a locker). Then you will go to the massage room and lie under a sheet with relaxing sounds playing and scented air. The masseuse will massage different areas then part way through you will flip over. Only the area being massaged is out of the sheet. I am usually so mellow at this point that I get sucked into making a purchase. :)

Sometimes they will offer special pricing on port days.

Edited by Alaskanb

They request that you show up about 15min before your scheduled time. They will show you to the women's or men's locker room there you disrobe to your preference either remove all clothes or you can keep underwear on. They have nice robes to put on and slip on shoes. They usually meet you in the locker room or sometimes they have you wait in a waiting area. The masseuse introduces themselves and may ask you specific questions like do you want a light , med, or heavy pressure, Do you have any problem areas that might need extra attention (sore back, neck) or areas to stay away from (my husband has a missing toe and around that area it is very sensitive so they don't massage his left foot) Once in the room they may assist you to lie face down on the table of they may leave the room until you have positioned yourself on the table there will be a sheet and/ or blanket to lay under. They will announce when they are coming in the room. When they start the massage they usually ask if the pressure is OK. If you get a full body massage about 1/2 into the massage they will have you turn onto your back while they holding the blanket up for modest and finish the massage front of arms, legs, face and neck. After the massage when you go to the desk they will try to sell you product. I kindly refuse and they have never attempted any hard sell but, others have said they try to encourage you to buy. I always leave a tip usually in cash but, if I forget to bring cash you can add it to your bill. Massages can become addictive so you have been warned :D

There is an 18% automatic gratuity applied to all spa bills. And that's in addition to the fact that a massage on board is far more costly than at a day spa in my city. Don't feel obligated to add a further tip!

Feel free to tell them in advance that you don't want the sales pitch. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Edited by moki'smommy

I love getting massages and have even gotten them while on a cruise before but now, I just end up getting one beforehand or maybe after as I can't stand the constant sell, sell, sell spiel during my massage. Finally, I told one that I couldn't relax with her talking the whole time so would listen to her sales pitch ONLY after my massage. They will try to sell you all sorts of their products and they are ridiculously priced. You don't have to purchase anything if you don't want to so don't allow them to pressure you. I have gotten a massage by the pool before ... it is an abbreviated massage where you are placed into a massage chair (instead of a table) and you don't have to undress at all. They will work around your bathing suit straps for a woman. That was actually quite relaxing and no high sales pitch with those, in my experience. They prefer to go for your massage after showering and there are showers in the spa or right there at the pool.

The spa treatments will usually have a discount while in port. If you go for a full body massage, you don't have to undress completely if you are not comfortable with doing so. You can always leave your underwear on. You will usually start laying face down and have a towel draped over you and they will fold it back in order to access the area on your body they are massaging. Don't be afraid to tell them the areas of focus and areas you don't want them to touch. I hate it when they massage my feet and then touch my face .... and I don't have icky feet but that just grosses me out. So, no face massage for me, please!

They will usually use an unscented lotion during the massage and towel it off with a warm towel at the end of the treatment. Not sure if they do this across all lines, though ... so don't quote me on it. You can always use the spa facilities to shower afterwards if you would rather do so there instead of returning to your room. Many people can be seen wearing their robe to and from the spa so it's not all that uncommon if you prefer to go back to your room afterwards.

There will probably be an automatic tip added to your bill of about 15%-18%. If so, you can adjust it up if you feel the need up at the front desk when you sign for treatment.I am not sure if you can adjust it down, though ...... it might be mandatory. ??? The charges, including the tip, will go directly onto your seapass account ... so no need to carry extra cash.

Don't hesitate to tell them exactly what you want/need if you know. I get regular massages at home & then do some when we're on longer cruises. I tell them my problem areas and that's what I want them to concentrate on -- I need lots of attention to the legs and not as much on the back. This probably drives them crazy as they probably have a "normal routine" but I figured it's my money & my body!! LOL

If we're on cruises where we're not getting off at a port, that's when I schedule any spa treatments -- generally a discounted price on those days. I started to tip on one cruise & then looked at the charge closer and realized it already had the 18% added. No additional tip in that case!

I have gotten a massage onboard twice now. The first time they got me good with relaxing me and I bought the package. I've got to say that was 3 years ago and I still have some of their product. The first time I had the Swedish massage and that was pretty tough. I was sore for about 2 days later.

The second time I went, I told them I still had their product and would not be buying anything. I had the hot stone massage and it was much more pleasurable and I would do it again.

There were some really good explanations as far as the process involved. The most important thing to remember is to relax.

There is a form to fill out before the massage. Asks about any problem areas, etc. There is also an area where you check the box if you have high stress, high blood pressure, tough employment etc. We ALWAYS check NO on every line. I think they are trained to find one teeny tiny thing that you have checked YES on, and run with that, stating that this product or that service will help with those issues. They seem baffled when they read it, and usually do not try a hard sell after that.

There is a form to fill out before the massage. Asks about any problem areas, etc. There is also an area where you check the box if you have high stress, high blood pressure, tough employment etc. We ALWAYS check NO on every line. I think they are trained to find one teeny tiny thing that you have checked YES on, and run with that, stating that this product or that service will help with those issues. They seem baffled when they read it, and usually do not try a hard sell after that.

I have found that technique effective as well at preventing a hard sell. I tell them I sleep 8 hours every night, drink tons of water, have no job related stress, no health issues, etc. Then they have nothing to target.

OP, you will likely feel very greasy after the service and want to shower. I always do feel like an oil slick after a massage due to the products they use.

Alaskanb and everyone else covered it all very well. My mom and I love the massages and do get one every cruise. They have all been licensed and professional, there’s no worry about that.

Do arrive a little early to relax in the waiting area with a cup of tea or flavored water. The spa experience is never meant to be rushed. The ladies will never shoo you off, so just sit and enjoy before and/or after, whatever your timeframe allows for. Bring a change of clothing if you want to use the showers and sauna also (if you’re in the smaller ships - no sauna on Royal/Regal unless you pay the thermal spa fee).

The hot stone choice is nice IMO, as it heats up the muscles and loosens them, but my mom goes for deep tissue. And we do always request for quiet during the massage.

Pricing is always better on the sailaway day and port days, if you want to save a bit off that. Gratuity is included. You may want to wait til you have a kink in your neck from a pillow, or travel, and let the masseuse work it out. That’s been helpful in the past.

I’ve never purchased anything, though my cousin did buy teeth whitening and was very pleased with the results.

And hydrate, as mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is a good tip. Thank you!

Don’t want to re-hash what others have said but I get a massage on just about every cruise. Yes they are more expensive then on land at home, but I very much enjoy it and it’s worth every penny.

When you board go to the Lotus Spa and book one for a port day for a convenient time. They are cheaper than a Sea day. Often times during the week they will offer treatments at an additional discount or bundled together so you can also keep your eye out for those.

I have never gotten the hard sell, neither has DW, at any of our treatments. They will try and sell you product, that’s their job, but a polite “no thank you” and that’s always the end of that.

Enjoy the treatment. I love the float bed, it’s a little extra and only with some of the treatments but it’s a wonderfully relaxing experience to essentially float wrapped in warm water.

All right this might sound like I have been living under a rock all my life but I have never gotten a massage. I have decided that I will tick off this entry on my bucket list on our cruise to Alaska on the Grand departing June 25th.

Can those who do this give me a quick run down on the procedure and some dos and don'ts. Thanks. I am kind of embarrassed to ask but hey it is what it is. :eek:

Skimmed the thread and didn't see this listed. You can ask for a male or female therapist, based on your preference.

Don't be afraid to tell them if/where you want more or less pressure. Nothing worse than feeling beat up the next day.

The time will fly by. Go in as relaxed as possible! Enjoy!

Checking No to an item such as high or low blood pressure is not a good a idea if you are hiding a condition or even if you don't know (put that you don't know). Those questions about health are for more that "sales opportunities". Google contraindications for massage.

Consider getting massages in your home area with an RMT who is interested is providing therapy vs. retail sales. The ship will provide a nice resort style experience at resort prices.

Be sure to book massage while in port. The cost is less. Yes it is very expensive. But oh so worth it! A special treat getting a couples massage. When you embark ship do the tour and sign up. Maybe you will win a free massage or spa treatment.

Be sure to book massage while in port. The cost is less. Yes it is very expensive. But oh so worth it! A special treat getting a couples massage. When you embark ship do the tour and sign up. Maybe you will win a free massage or spa treatment.

On our last 3 Princess cruises, we found that they were no longer giving a massage or other service as part of their raffle. They were giving certificates for a certain amount off a service. While I think the top coupon was $150 off any "signature service," this still is very different from the "old days" when you could actually win the service. In each instance, the coupon still left the winner to pay something, other than the thermal suite pas, which did cover the entire cost.

From my experience - and I've been on 15 Princess Cruises - they only have female masseuses - but if you book online it doesn't hurt to confirm and make sure. I do enjoy the massages and I just put on my form not to offer me products because I've already purchased etc. Seems to work. It can be hard though depending on the masseuse...

Love the ship massages as our special "hey we're on a cruise!" treat. At the end if their conversation begins with "I recommend based on...." I just smile, waive my hand and say thanks, but I'm good and that stops any further discussion. Typically I just leave my undies on but no bra so they can do my shoulders, but you are modestly covered by the sheet throughout, so don't have any concerns about that. If you go for a deep tissue massage (not my choice but DH tried it once) be sure to drink lots of liquids for the next many hours thereafter or you might have some really achy muscles the next day. I prefer the hot rock treatment - it's yummy.

Have a great cruise and I hope the massage experience is wonderful!