Difference between concierge & suite class

123veranda

Seriously considering booking cruise for Summit this summer. I know it’s a laidback ship but that’s what appealing to me. Would be for self and friend. We’re both in late sixties so kinda want to have fun but also relaxing. (Don’t need rope climbing etc,lol). I’ve mainly sailed RC so need help choosing cabin. What is the difference between suite class & concierge (besides the butler) & what does the butler do that concierge doesn’t. Also, what is the difference between the sky suite & the Celebrity suite? Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Night and day. Concierge Class is just a regular balcony stateroom (slightly larger than normal on M-Class ships, same size as regular balcony rooms on S-Class) with some very minor extra perks. Suites are significantly larger rooms with meaningful perks; for example in addition to the Butler you have a special dining room, Luminae, that has superior service, ambiance and food to the main din8ng room. You have access to Michael’s Club, a private lounge with complimentary beverages (alcoholic and not) all day and evening, occasional entertainment and snacks and a dedicated concierge who can handle pretty much any issue that comes up (concierge class does not have a dedciared concierge - they share the same ship-wide concierge as all other staterooms), greatly expedited tendering, greatly expedited debarkation etc. Celebrity suites have same perks as a Sky Suites, but a larger room and balcony.

If the price difference is not outrageously difference between a suite and a balcony, I opt for a suite (my usual strategy is to initially book a balcony and then upgrade to a suite after final payment when prices often drop significantly). If sticking with a balcony, I’d recommend foregoing Concierge Class and saving some $$ and booking a regular balcony as the perks for Concierge are almost meaningless.

Many time the difference in price for Aqua isn’t that much more than concierge or a balcony and worth booking because of Blu and the other little perks that you get.

On the Summit Aqua and Concierge do have larger cabins than standard balconies.

I would cap the limit of $20/day/pp for taking a Aqua over a balcony. I say that because after that the difference could pay for a dining pack if you felt it necessary.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We often cruise on RCI but we really like Summit. Great ship with a great crew. You do not hear those announcements all day long. Many times there will be one announcement...the Captain's Noon report. They activities but it is up to you to remember the time and place. They have had some interesting activities like passengers vrs Officers water volleyball. They had Dancing with the Stripes..not sure if they still do that one...but, you get the idea. The shows are the typical cruise line shows (magician, comedian, juggler...) not the wow shows that some of the RCI ships now offer..but, they are entertaining.

If you compare a balcony stateroom on RCI with a Grand Suite you can see the difference. That is pretty close to the difference between Concierge and Suite. Some people have the Butler unpack for them. Butler is the one that brings room service to your stateroom. We did not use our Butler's services, but every time we saw him in the hallway he would always call us by name and ask if there was anything we needed.

If the price is right, go for the suite. Even leaving the Summit, there was a special line at immigration for Suites.

Concierge class is just a fancy name! The "concierge" mentioned in the perks is actually available to all guests - not really much different to guest relations.

Aqua Class comes closer to a suite. Not because of the butler but because Aqua has its own restaurant (Blu) just as suites do (Luminae).

IMHO concierge class is not worth any extra money.

Gonzo70 nailed it. A Concierge is really a regular balcony with a embarkation lunch in the MDR and some added features in the cabin, but not enough for me to make a difference on an S Class ship. At least on an M Class ship you get a larger cabin. A Suite gives you space, Luminae, Michael's Club, a Butler and more. If you can spring for a Suite go for it!

123veranda,

Suite is an excellent choice. Just a word of caution on the Celebrity Suite on the Summit. The bathroom has an extremely high bathtub (shower in the bathtub). So, if either of you are very short or any way mobility impaired, you will have a heck of a time stepping into and out of the bathtub to take a shower. Just want you to be aware!

Gonzo70 nailed it. A Concierge is really a regular balcony with a embarkation lunch in the MDR and some added features in the cabin, but not enough for me to make a difference on an S Class ship. At least on an M Class ship you get a larger cabin. A Suite gives you space, Luminae, Michael's Club, a Butler and more. If you can spring for a Suite go for it!

Agree with all comments. Suites and Aqua have their own dining room and spa access so that's worth some $$s, but Concierge class has very little added. C1 has better cabin locations but not much else and costs much more than other categories and does not provide the one category upgrade. Offering the embarkation lunch was a stab at trying to make C more attractive. Not sure why we book it cruise after cruise, extra points added to length of cruise help but now that we're Elite Plus not much change to loyalty advantages so will probably explore other cruise lines or other cabin categories in future.

123veranda,

Suite is an excellent choice. Just a word of caution on the Celebrity Suite on the Summit. The bathroom has an extremely high bathtub (shower in the bathtub). So, if either of you are very short or any way mobility impaired, you will have a heck of a time stepping into and out of the bathtub to take a shower. Just want you to be aware!

Agree...The Bedroom is totally inside too which some love and others find ‘enclosed’, the lounge area is great, though....Suggest you look at some YouTube videos before making a final decision between Celebrity Suite and Sky Suite...no hesitation in recommending the sweet, suite life though!

123veranda,

The bathtub/shower is the same in the Sky Suites also. I take a tub mat because the end of the tub which you use to exit the tub is rather slick. Have a great cruise.

Carolyn

The bathtub/shower is the same in the Sky Suites also. I take a tub mat because the end of the tub which you use to exit the tub is rather slick. Have a great cruise.

Carolyn

Thanks for this info! Person I’m traveling with will definitely have trouble getting into a tub. I thought I saw. Video where tub and shower were separate. Is this not so ? Are there any that have the separate showers.

Thanks for this info! Person I’m traveling with will definitely have trouble getting into a tub. I thought I saw. Video where tub and shower were separate. Is this not so ? Are there any that have the separate showers.

I am short and when we had a Celebrity Suite I had ZERO issues with the tub/shower. It's a combination, not separate.

My husband often wakes up early so having the separate area with tv and L-shaped couch was great for us. We normally sail in sky suites but there was a price decrease that was only about $200 total more for the CS so it was a no-brainer. However, the perks are exactly the same for the CS and the sky suite. Only difference is two separate rooms. The closet is walk in and huge, and at least on the S class ships there is a second closet in the main room.

Looking on utube 6145 looks like it has a separate shower but 8117 doesn’t. Plus I really don’t like not having the separate bedroom. I’m a neat freak. Only other alternative is the royal but that’s almost $4000 more. Looks like I won’t be going. Thanks Soooo much 4 the heads up. I wouldn’t have known about the tub. And 7 days is a long time to be in a room with some1 who can’t shower!!! Lol

There are other options for you to consider before canceling your plans completely. We have been in a sky suite on Summit each of the past 2 years, next year we have changed to a Celebrity on Equinox so I can't speak to your concerns about a Celebrity suite, I can tell you options you may have on the Summit. First if a handicap suite is available consider that. You can find photos online. The ones I've seen show a walk-in shower with no lip and a bench seat. There appears to be no tub. If that isn't an option, I've heard other talk about using the shower and changing area in the Spa. There is no charge for using those areas and while I didn't use them that way, I did tour the area and it is very nice. I read a post once about how someone would make a morning excursion out of heading to the solarium hot tub in the morning, then shower and dress in the spa changing area and finish with a late breakfast in the Spa Café (which is open to everyone). If you get cabin 8117 you can just walk to the forward elevators, go up 2 floors and you'll be right by the changing area. That would be a great back-up plan if the tub became to much of an obstacle for your friend. You'd really enjoy the Summit and Suite life with all it has to offer.

Both 6145 and 6146 have a separate shower, but those 2 sky suites are very hard to get. I find they sometimes become available just before final payment is due as people put a deposit on them as soon as they are available for booking but decide to cancel just prior to final payment coming due.

Kudos to folks who have no problem with the high tub (although I do think you are in the minority!). Anyone with even the slightest mobility issues will have a problem in my opinion. A friend of mine with no mobility issues but is 5'2" definitely did not feel "secure" getting in and out of the tub.

Maybe the OP would consider a handicap accessible sky suite?

I just thought the OP should be aware rather than be surprised when they entered their suite. I'm sure the OP might be able to find you tube videos showing the height of the tub (and I don't believe there are any "grab bars" within easy distance to assist you getting in and out.)

Both 6145 and 6146 have a separate shower, but those 2 sky suites are very hard to get. I find they sometimes become available just before final payment is due as people put a deposit on them as soon as they are available for booking but decide to cancel just prior to final payment coming due.

Kudos to folks who have no problem with the high tub (although I do think you are in the minority!). Anyone with even the slightest mobility issues will have a problem in my opinion. A friend of mine with no mobility issues but is 5'2" definitely did not feel "secure" getting in and out of the tub.

Maybe the OP would consider a handicap accessible sky suite?

I just thought the OP should be aware rather than be surprised when they entered their suite. I'm sure the OP might be able to find you tube videos showing the height of the tub (and I don't believe there are any "grab bars" within easy distance to assist you getting in and out.)

Thanks for your input. It would have been a disaster if we had got in & discovered the tub situation. My friend admits she has mobility issues but would not want a disabled suite. After much thought we decided to go a little further & do NCL out of NY. But again thanks for the info.

Sit on the side of the tub...swing one leg over, then the other....stand up and shower. Reverse to get out. It's totally doable.

The tub is higher because of the way a ship's plumbing must drain. The tub is no deeper than one at home....it's just set higher than you're used to.

Sit on the side of the tub...swing one leg over, then the other....stand up and shower. Reverse to get out. It's totally doable.

The tub is higher because of the way a ship's plumbing must drain. The tub is no deeper than one at home....it's just set higher than you're used to.

Sounds easy enough as long as you have no mobility issues. If someone has a difficult time lifting his/her leg or bending his/her knee, this will not be an easy/comfortable process.